!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Lockdown projects  (Read 91558 times)

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Lockdown projects
« Reply #945 on: June 11, 2020, 02:28:52 PM »
Is It just me, Alan, or is the connecting rod missing? and the cab sides appear to be different.

It's you - he's carefully lined the conn. rod up precisely with the coupling rods  :D

and the cab sides appear to be different.

Different, or just better?

Oops silly me  :-[

however the cab sides are different  in that the existing one has the Gresley style cut out but the brass one is of the later Thompson/Peppercorn style

Regards,

Alex

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #946 on: June 26, 2020, 09:45:11 PM »
In recent times I've had rather a breather from most projects, with the exception of 1, which needs to be completed for its owner, this being EM2.

It's now finished all major paint, just needing some touch ins, and final finishing up before heading to decals.

Whilst lockdowns are gradually easing in areas, I'm going to remain calling it as such for now - until I don't need to work from home it's going to feel locked down.

Lockdown tally of projects complete: 9 (Black 5, 6202 LMS, Fowler 4P, Std 4MT, Rebuilt Patriot, Std 5MT 73099, Bulleid 34089, NGS Gresley, J27, Un-rebuilt Patriot)
New lockdown projects currently started: 4 ( J52 resto, A2/2 resto, 87006, 87015 )
Existing projects progressing under lockdown: 4 (6202x1, EM2, Ivatt 4, Garratt)

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline BramptonBranch

• Awards
« Reply #947 on: June 26, 2020, 10:12:57 PM »
Its owner in North Derbyshire is growing extremely excited as this one reaches its final stages.
Doesn't seem that long since a young lad headed to a nearly always deserted Sheffield Victoria on a summer Saturday to witness the "Sheff Electrics" and occasionally being offered the chance to step on board.
I was even offered a footplate ride to Manchester if I had a return ticket, something I will always regret not taking advantage of!
Happy days.

Andy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #948 on: June 27, 2020, 08:31:09 AM »
In recent times I've had rather a breather from most projects, with the exception of 1, which needs to be completed for its owner, this being EM2.

It's now finished all major paint, just needing some touch ins, and final finishing up before heading to decals.

Whilst lockdowns are gradually easing in areas, I'm going to remain calling it as such for now - until I don't need to work from home it's going to feel locked down.

Great stuff Alan! I've been enjoying following your lockdown thread, but do hope that your work life returns to some sense of normality before too long.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #949 on: June 30, 2020, 12:10:10 AM »
Furthering EM2, she now has an identity.

Moving back to a few of the previous projects, the outstanding parts have been completed on J52 - the biggest being a full running shakedown to get rod clearances checked (particularly behind the front steps). I also added the cab brake handwheel which was prominent, and the cab rear spectacle window bars from etch grilles. The base of these will be covered with coal (a dodge) to cover the attachment solder.

Photos identify a couple of finishes needed - namely straightening up of those spectacle bars, and also filling around the smokebox saddle base. This was something not needed or done already on the original build because its front end was so deteriorated with age.

Another big job that's been ticked off is the cab replacement on the A2/2 . Razor saw inboard of the edges of the original cab removed it, and then filed back to the lines. Shape-wise, the new cab is slightly different, so a little filing here and there and filling with solder was needed, but nothing drastic. Thin brass sheet below the V2 cab floor makes everything solid.

Plenty cleanup still needed, as well as cab doors and cutout, though the next task is getting all the ride heights (front and rear) absolutely right - it sits a little low at the front end, though this does seem inherent as 60502 is similar. Perhaps can be improved a bit though.

I think this one will swap identities - I'm thinking 60506 "Wolf of Badenoch" is a more appropriate name for this dual motor model.

Lockdown tally of projects complete: 9 (Black 5, 6202 LMS, Fowler 4P, Std 4MT, Rebuilt Patriot, Std 5MT 73099, Bulleid 34089, NGS Gresley, J27, Un-rebuilt Patriot)
New lockdown projects currently started: 4 ( J52 resto, A2/2 resto, 87006, 87015 )
Existing projects progressing under lockdown: 4 (6202x1, EM2, Ivatt 4, Garratt)

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #950 on: June 30, 2020, 10:02:40 AM »
Furthering EM2, she now has an identity.

Moving back to a few of the previous projects, the outstanding parts have been completed on J52 - the biggest being a full running shakedown to get rod clearances checked (particularly behind the front steps). I also added the cab brake handwheel which was prominent, and the cab rear spectacle window bars from etch grilles. The base of these will be covered with coal (a dodge) to cover the attachment solder.

Photos identify a couple of finishes needed - namely straightening up of those spectacle bars, and also filling around the smokebox saddle base. This was something not needed or done already on the original build because its front end was so deteriorated with age.

Another big job that's been ticked off is the cab replacement on the A2/2 . Razor saw inboard of the edges of the original cab removed it, and then filed back to the lines. Shape-wise, the new cab is slightly different, so a little filing here and there and filling with solder was needed, but nothing drastic. Thin brass sheet below the V2 cab floor makes everything solid.

Plenty cleanup still needed, as well as cab doors and cutout, though the next task is getting all the ride heights (front and rear) absolutely right - it sits a little low at the front end, though this does seem inherent as 60502 is similar. Perhaps can be improved a bit though.

I think this one will swap identities - I'm thinking 60506 "Wolf of Badenoch" is a more appropriate name for this dual motor model.

Lovely work as always Alan. I'm interested in your decision to use dual motors on the A2/2 - I bet it will haul just about anything.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #951 on: June 30, 2020, 12:39:38 PM »
I'm interested in your decision to use dual motors on the A2/2 - I bet it will haul just about anything.

Wasn't really a decision so much as an opportunity. The tender I obtained happened to have a working drive, and after comparison with the existing loco drive it was found the matching was almost impeccable, so no reason to strip out the tender mechanism.

It does now really mean the first model is due for similar, as the tender on it is not great cosmetically, so anyone finding busted up A1s or A2s let me know - another tender (functional or not) would be desirable to retrofit 60501 to match this.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal