Pub games in your area

Started by Newportnobby, July 15, 2014, 10:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Pub games are being mentioned in the World Cup thread but as that event is done and dusted, I thought I'd ask folks about any pub games particularly local to their area.
For instance, I lived for a long time in Northamptonshire and we had a form of table skittles which consisted of a table with a net stretched over the back of it. Nine wooden skittles about 9" high were stood in a diamond formation on the table and attempts to knock them all down were made using 3 x wooden 'cheeses' (a circular lump of wood about 1½" thick and 5" or so in diameter). If all 9 skittles were knocked down with one 'cheese' then they were stood up again and, as you had 3 'cheeses' to start with, a top score of 27 was possible.
This game was, I think, also local to Leicestershire and is certainly not to be confused with the skittle game people remember with a ball on a chain and 9 skittles about 3" high :no:

Whether this game still exists in the local pubs I don't know as I haven't been in the area for years and have never seen it elsewhere :hmmm:

GeeBee

The Trout Inn Lechlade still plays Aunt Sally I believe they have league nights there about once a week in their season
:beers:

trainsdownunder

Quote from: GeeBee on July 15, 2014, 10:52:15 PM
The Trout Inn Lechlade still plays Aunt Sally I believe they have league nights there about once a week in their season
:beers:

Aunt Sally was still going strong in and around Headington, Oxford when I was still living there a few years ago

Bealman

The only game I've seen in Aussie pubs is the drinking game... you know - the one that goes like this:  :pint: and sometimes ends like this:  :sick:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Sprintex

The only pub game I've seen down here is the one where half a dozen Jacamo-clad designer-stubbled idiots laugh stupidly and unnecessarily loudly every 36 seconds for hours on end :no:

Paul

port perran

Lived in Wiltshire for most of my life till 11 years ago. Skittles was and is huge along with cribbage.
Down here in Cornwall most pubs have Euchre teams.
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on July 16, 2014, 07:45:50 AM
Lived in Wiltshire for most of my life till 11 years ago. Skittles was and is huge along with cribbage.
Down here in Cornwall most pubs have Euchre teams.

Having frequently visited Wiltshire and Somerset, I assume you're referring to 'alley skittles' there, Martin?
As for Euchre - I'd like to hear more please?

Malc

As I remember from pub visits in South Devon, it's a variation of whist.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

MinZaPint

Quote from: Bealman on July 15, 2014, 11:56:39 PM
The only game I've seen in Aussie pubs is the drinking game... you know - the one that goes like this:  :pint: and sometimes ends like this:  :sick:

When I worked as a "Galley hand" on the "Iberia" in 1965 all the pubs I saw in Aus (days of the 6 o'clock swill) had no furniture and white tiled walls so that they could hose the blood of in the morning!   :beers:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

PhilD

I don't live in London anymore, but the pub I used to go to in the 70s had a bar billiards table in the back room.

Newportnobby

I think it's a great shame that it's getting harder to find a pub with at least a dart board, let alone a pool table nowadays. There seem to be so many pubs closing or being put up to rent yet I wonder if they had leagues for pub games whether it would attract more trade and avoid such closures. I'm not getting into the debate about smoking bans or greedy breweries but I, for one, will go out of my way to avoid anywhere that has TV sport showing.

Bealman

Oh, the six o clock swill. Forgotten about that.  :thumbsup:

Malc

A typical pub game when I was a young man in Hartlepool, was trying to get my mate John to buy a round.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Or work out who hung the monkey

Worse still, who was buying the next round of Camerons  :sick2:

Agrippa

I presume Camerons is a brand of beer and not the man who lives in No10.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations