!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

What do you think of this model?

Superb
2 (20%)
Good
2 (20%)
OK
6 (60%)
Poor
0 (0%)
Terrible
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Graham Farish - Class 33's - From 1990's  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
Graham Farish - Class 33's - From 1990's
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »
 :NGaugeForum:

Offline mickd247

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish - Class 33's - From 1990's
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
I have three of these, am guessing that they are all from the 90's as they have the 5 pole motor stickers on the boxes? Not sure historically when Farish went over to the 5 pole motors? :dunce:

Farish Code 8316 running number 33056 BR Construction Sector livery "The Burma Star"
Farish Code Special Edition 8312 running number 33025 Dutch livery (Civil Engineers) "Sultan"
Farish Code ???? running number 33205 BR Railfreight Livery not in it's original box.

As these have been stored in my loft for about 15 years I will have to give them a good clean and lube before running them so cannot comment and vote on them yet, watch this space :laugh:

Offline talisman56

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 02:04:08 PM »
If they've got 4-digit stock numbers then they're pre-Bachmann models, so fit the timescale of the OPs question. The ones in question are listed on this page: http://www.ngauge.org.uk/farish_diesels.php?lclass=7

Your 33205 Distribution livery loco is stock number 8317.

I have a 371-128 BR Class 33 D6577 BR Green/White stripe which is early 2000s, same body tooling, China chassis - got it second hand, cleaned it up and oiled it and it runs like a good 'un.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:12:50 PM by talisman56 »
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Offline DesertHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »
Right, I've thrown my lot in with a "Superb" rating. Then again, do bear in mind that I'm biased, being a Poole Farish fan  :toot:

I have three (looking for more if anybody has any to offload). I have a Dutch Livery (Civil Engineers) "Burma Star" and two BR Green versions.

They've all been stripped down (one required a new armature). Funny enough the two green ones (both copper comms I think and older than the Burma Star) are peerless in their running performance.

Very easy to work on, not too many gears and smooth runners with short shafts, leads to better drive I believe. One possible short coming from them is that they are susceptible to the split gear syndrome, I guess due to strain on the gears. They do use the small 12 tooth gears, perhaps that contributes to split gears.

Interested to know what others think.

Class 33 RULES!

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 05:09:57 PM »
I have the same green one as Talisman.
Always been a lovely runner but it does whine a bit. Before anyone says it's inaccurate or whatever, I'm one who believes if it looks like a 33 it is a 33 :P

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »
Interested to know what others think.

Dated model now - the body is reasonable, but the bogies are way too short (the chassis just uses the standard Farish bo-bo bogie) which makes it look odd, particularly when next to a Dapol 26 or 27 which is a similar loco with the correct length bogies. 33 also looks to sit too high.

Nice enough model in its day with all the standard Farish chassis components which makes them easy to work on (and also means they have all the same problems of split gears on the 12 and 16 tooth interference fit gearing).

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal