!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hawksworth coaches  (Read 16615 times)

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Re: Hawksworth coaches
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2015, 10:43:25 AM »
Something of a rarity here. A shot of 5076 'Gladiator' approaching  Harbury Tunnel in 1955. The train is composed almost exclusively of Hawksworth stock and looks very smart. The exception is the obligatory catering vehicle about halfway back the train.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline GrahamB

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2015, 11:34:50 AM »
In GWR days, Hawksworth coaches would have been confined to the most important expresses; however, trains do get diverted due to engineering works on their usual route . . .
:claphappy:

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
I'm thinking about adding a rake of Hawksworth carriages for Southbridge but I'm wondering if they would have made it to secondary main lines in GWR days.

Of course, I could always apply rule one  :hmmm:

You might also find one or two coaches detached from an express to provide a through service to destinations that wouldn't justify a whole train.  Stratford-upon-Avon was served by through coaches detached from or attached to some London-Birmingham and Birmingham-London services and in GWR days.

So I think you can justify having the Hawksworth coaches running on your secondary main line. 

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 02:33:51 PM »
I'm thinking about adding a rake of Hawksworth carriages for Southbridge but I'm wondering if they would have made it to secondary main lines in GWR days.

Whilst some Hawksworth coaches went straight to update the principle expresses, I believe that some were built to replace the last clerestory coaches and so some could be seen mixed in on less prestigious trains almost from new. I will try to find some definite info/photos to back up this hunch.

The other question is, what do you consider a secondary mainline?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 02:40:04 PM by Karhedron »
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »
The other question is, what do you consider a secondary mainline?
It's a very subjective term I agree. I would suggest the Ludlow to Hereford line as a candidate (Retires to don flame proof suit ;) ;))

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2015, 08:00:17 PM »
It all depends on which time period you're thinking of Graham.

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 08:39:49 PM »
I find Hawksworth carriages, the Counties and the 94xx some of the most attractive GWR designs (though the Dukedogs and the Dean Goods are also candidates).

But I'm not well up on the GWR and wonder what you folks think?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2015, 08:44:24 PM »
I certainly think that the Hawksworth design coaches were some of the most elegant of the GWR designs but would add the Ocean and Special Saloons, too (not available as RTR models and not even, to my knowledge, as kits?) I won't argue about locos. except to say that I do like the 94XX and have a BR Black Graham Farish one.

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 09:56:04 PM »

I have had a rummage in my library and it seems they may have done, at least some of the time. Due to post-war shortages of both skilled workers and materials, the Hawksworths were quite slow to be delivered with only 1 vehicle per week emerging from Swindon during 1946. This meant that it was difficult to construct full rakes of the new stock in the way that the GWR had tended to do before the war. Even then, the new stock didn't always stay where it was put for very long.

For example, although the CRE was allocated a rake of Hawksworth stock in 1946, it was replaced in 1948 with an older rake of Collett Sunshine stock painted in experimental Plum and Split Milk livery with the preceding Hawksworths sent elsewhere. Certainly by the early 50s, Hawksworth stock could be found in both the Aberystwyth and Pwllheli portions of the Cambrian Coast Express. Definitely a candidate for secondary mainline status there I recon.;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:50:12 AM by Karhedron »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 05:17:35 AM »
In BR Maroon livery days it was normal to see a mix of Hawksworths and BR Standard coaches and even Colletts earlier.

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2015, 07:36:54 AM »
1934 - 1948.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2015, 08:49:44 AM »
1934 - 1948.

I think as part of the main North-South route the line was rather more important in those years than it became in later BR years.

Offline JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2015, 10:26:39 AM »
Much to my surprise and delight, my Blood and Custard brake 3rd arrived in the post today. What a fantastic model - seems to have a bit more weight than the Mk1s. Can't wait to try it on my local club's layout on Friday.
Still planning a layout...

Offline Ollie3440

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18238
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2015, 12:40:15 PM »
Afternoon all,

Just paid for my three which will be delivered to me on the Sunday morning of TINGS. Chocolate cream brake and all third for Sheaf along with a crimson cream brake for Wenlock.

Cheers,

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Offline Ben Line 457

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2015, 08:04:20 PM »
I model the early 70's, so I am saving my pennies to buy a Hawksworth Full Brake shortly, but it will have to be repainted BR Blue.
I was wondering if anyone - after light bar fitting or similar - has any tips on dismantling one of these beauties?
They are such good models - not to mention expensive - that I don't want to butcher it!

I really don't expect Farish to release one in Blue, well at least not until about three days after I finish the repaint!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal