!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hawksworth coaches  (Read 16019 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Hawksworth coaches
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 04:49:38 PM »
Thanks, John. Looks like another one awaiting the maroon versions, then :D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 05:14:04 PM »
Those really are beautiful models of very attractive coaches, John. I've now ordered from Rails of Sheffield one GWR livery Hawksworth brake end coach for the GWS, Bodmin! 8-) I had to resist ordering another GWR livery one or the two BR Crimson & Cream but will order both in BR Maroon when available.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:23:14 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »
Lovely models, I am very impressed. I'm wondering if my Dapol collet coaches might have to be replaced by these. Graham

Offline Kris

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »
Tried to pick the ones up that I have ordered today. I got to the shop and despite their website showing as being in stock I was told that they had not been received yet. I was not very impressed with that. 

Offline Kris

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »
Lovely models, I am very impressed. I'm wondering if my Dapol collet coaches might have to be replaced by these. Graham

Keep the Dapol ones. Run them with the Hawksworths in mixed rakes, along with any other older GW coaches you can find and you won't be far wrong in the train make up.

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 09:30:53 PM »
Kris thanks for that a very good point, now to convince the financial authorities  :bounce:

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 10:14:34 PM »

Keep the Dapol ones. Run them with the Hawksworths in mixed rakes, along with any other older GW coaches you can find and you won't be far wrong in the train make up.

Good advice. Uniform rakes were rare on the GWR/WR apart from principle named expresses. Normal practice was to get the big expresses new stock every 5 years or so and then cascade the older stuff meaning that everything else often ended up a real pick'n'mix of stock.

Here are some shots from the 1950s showing fairly typical mish-mashes of different vintage stock.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »
hmm that is very tempting, but I will hold my cash until maroon coaches arrive. I am holding out for the NGS full break going on general sale (to members) as they turned out rather more tempting than I thought (well done all involved in that one).

Graham

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 09:59:22 PM »
I am looking forward to maroon Hawksworth coaches (maybe next year, please Bachmann).

The NGS Collett BG is a fine model, I would like a GWR one to go with my GWR livery Hawksworth coaches.  If only Dapol would retool its range of Collett coaches as these are looking a bit dated now.

My collection now includes Hawksworth Brake Third coaches in Chocolate/Cream and Crimson/Cream.  I'll add photos when I get the chance.

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 10:24:22 PM »
The NGS Collett BG is a fine model, I would like a GWR one to go with my GWR livery Hawksworth coaches.  If only Dapol would retool its range of Collett coaches as these are looking a bit dated now.
That might be good. Or even better might be to do some of the earlier 1930s Collett bow-ended stock like Hornby are doing in 00. Then we will have 3 different families of GWR stock to chose from or mix together.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2015, 10:56:25 PM »
Who knows as Bachmann appear to be unveiling little bits during the year, note the OO 117s today. A third GWR coach would be good but I feel unlikely at this time, they could of course add more to collet range like the rare open third as preserved at South Devon Railway.

Graham

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2015, 11:39:28 PM »
The Colletts are dated and not entirely accurate (squeezing 4 diagrams out of only 2 body toolings  :confused1: ). I think they will either rework them completely or go for something else. The Collets were nice when they first came out as they were the first prototypical pre-nationalisation coaches to be offered since the minitrix Gresleys.

But they are showing their age. I think they are shoot downs of the old Mainline 00 toolings from the 1980s. Certainly they share the same trick of using the C77 all-third tooling to also represent a composite(E158) and a a brake composite tooling to also represent a brake 3rd.

I cannot see Dapol adding modern standard models to the same family while leaving the existing models alone. It would throw the compromises of the existing models into exaggerated relief.

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 07:37:01 AM »
Thank you, I've  just checked the photos again and also realised that the door pattern is different on the open to the corridor, I had previously thought it was just a different interior to insert. :doh:

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 08:08:05 AM »
I'm thinking about adding a rake of Hawksworth carriages for Southbridge but I'm wondering if they would have made it to secondary main lines in GWR days.

Of course, I could always apply rule one  :hmmm:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 09:58:55 AM »
I'm thinking about adding a rake of Hawksworth carriages for Southbridge but I'm wondering if they would have made it to secondary main lines in GWR days.

Of course, I could always apply rule one  :hmmm:

In GWR days, Hawksworth coaches would have been confined to the most important expresses; however, trains do get diverted due to engineering works on their usual route . . .

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal