!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hawksworth coaches  (Read 14594 times)

Offline trkilliman

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Hawksworth coaches
« on: July 02, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »
I'm looking forward to the release of these distinctive carriages. What with the Dapol Grange and the  Farish 64xx on pre-order from Hattons it's going to be an enjoyable and expensive time for me! 

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Re: Hawksworth coaches
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:19:16 PM »
And the Farish Castle to haul them.  :angel:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:44:32 PM »
Crikey, I'd forgot about the Castle...lol

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 03:43:58 PM »
I'm just hoping Farish does a run of Hawksworths in Maroon.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:06:56 PM »
I'm just hoping Farish does a run of Hawksworths in Maroon.

Me, too. I'm sure they will.

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:33:16 PM »
Decorated samples now up on the Farish website in both GWR and BR liveries.

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=353

Hopefully not long to wait now.  :angel:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 03:29:36 PM »
Many thanks for the update. That's good news. Interesting that the BG is only available in BR Crimson & Cream; I presume none were built under the GWR? What most of us need, however, are the BR Maroon versions which lasted into the late 1960s (a whole train of them could be seen as late as 1966). A very few select Hawksworth SKs did get BR Blue and Grey livery, so that's another variant.

So, I'll have in Crimson & Cream BGs from Stanier and Hawksworth and in BR Maroon from Collett and Thompson. Hence I'm selling off some BR Maroon Standard BGs!

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 03:49:36 PM »
That is correct. The K45/46 BGs were completed after the introduction of crimson and cream so never carried GWR livery. The Hornby 00 gauge version is based on the example which was restored at Didcot and carries this livery currently but is not historically accurate.

I agree that Maroon versions would be nice and the blue/grey versions would certainly add interest. Hopefully Farish are planning the Maroon ones for the future.

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 09:00:40 PM »
I'll try post photos tonight or tomorrow but I've just picked up a third and composite in GWR colours from my local model shop (all the brakes have sold out, which isn't surprising).  I paid 25.50 each for my coaches, which probably makes them the most expensive generally released coaches I've bought to date. 

I think these are the best N-gauge coaches so far released.  The detail in the moulding and decoration seems truly amazing, right down to the red surrounds for the window frames on the droplights (such a small detail you almost don't notice). On the corridor side there is a printed line on the inside of the glass, which I guess is supposed to be a grab rail.  All the printing is really crisp with no fuzzy edges.  It looks like the first class seats even have the arm rests moulded into the seats.

I suppose you could say that a lot of this detail is un-necessary, after all you can't see it from anything more than a few inches away, but it is nice to know it is there.  What you do notice, even from quite a distance, is the shape of the roof and the lines made by the rivets and other details.

The GWR isn't even my main area of interest (I'm more of a BR Western Region person) but these coaches were so good I had to have them.  When the Crimson/Cream coaches arrive I'll buy one or two and if/when BR Maroon versions join the range I'll probably buy one of each version released.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 10:19:46 PM »
I look forward to the photos., John. I'm definitely going to buy a good selection of BR Maroon Hawksworth coaches, not least because the WR used some in North Cornwall after dieselisation (with locos.) and, maybe, even slightly before. So far, the GWS at Bodmin has a single Collett plus an autocoach in GWR livery so a brake end Hawksworth in GWR livery would be a useful addition. I am also awaiting the BR Crimson and BR Maroon Hawksworth BGs.

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 03:05:15 PM »
Some photos of the GWR-livery Hawksworths.  One thing I didn't appreciate until I coupled my coaches together is how small the gap is between the gangways.  It hardly seems worth fitting short couplings and might not even be possible.

I've concentrated on the composite as I think it is the more interesting to photograph.

ScottyStitch

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 03:17:46 PM »
That is correct. The K45/46 BGs were completed after the introduction of crimson and cream so never carried GWR livery. The Hornby 00 gauge version is based on the example which was restored at Didcot and carries this livery currently but is not historically accurate.

I agree that Maroon versions would be nice and the blue/grey versions would certainly add interest. Hopefully Farish are planning the Maroon ones for the future.

What sort of geographical adventures did these get up to? Were they all over the BR system in Maroon or limited to certain areas only?

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 03:53:51 PM »
What sort of geographical adventures did these get up to? Were they all over the BR system in Maroon or limited to certain areas only?

They were built for the WR and that is the most common place to find them. However like many full brakes, a lot gravitated to use on parcel trains which took them all over the network. I have photos of them in places as far flung as Abergele in BR blue days.

Here is one in Maroon on the Newcastle-KX parcels near Hadley Wood in December 1961 so they certainly did wander.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 04:26:43 PM »
Very nice coaches, John, and the close coupling looks great. What size curves have you run them round please? :uneasy:

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »
My main oval is Peco 2nd radius and I have 1st radius points.  The Hawksworth coaches run through 1st radius crossovers without issue whether pushed or pulled.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here