!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

What do you think of this model?

Superb
0 (0%)
Good
4 (33.3%)
OK
5 (41.7%)
Poor
3 (25%)
Terrible
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Graham Farish - Class 158's - From 1990's  (Read 5750 times)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
Graham Farish - Class 158's - From 1990's
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:22:28 PM »
 :NGaugeForum:

Offline REFaust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20356
    • My N Gauge YouTube channel
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish - Class 158's - From 1990's
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:08:06 PM »
For the time a pretty good model. No lighting, and often rather noisy, but easily converted to DCC.

R E Faust

Offline tadpole

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:50:53 PM »
I had several of these and they gave good service for a couple of years, had to box them up for a house move and when I unpacked them a couple of years later, none of them worked (almost everything else, on the other hand, did)
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline REFaust

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »
I had several of these and they gave good service for a couple of years, had to box them up for a house move and when I unpacked them a couple of years later, none of them worked (almost everything else, on the other hand, did)
Surprised to hear that...did you ever identify the reason?

R E Faust

Offline tadpole

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:26:23 PM »
No, but as I was shifting back to BR blue era, I didn't investigate too hard, just stuck 'em on eBay as spares/repairs.

When I tested one of them, it moved a short distance then seized up. I forgot it had power going to it and left it overnight. Fortunately I needed something from the attic next morning and smelt the burning - another few hours and it would have been much more serious than a melted sprinter body.
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 08:14:22 AM »
The later Bachmann-built ones with the new chassis are a lot better but it's a shame the bodywork hasn't been upgraded. The front end looks wrong to me and lacks the characteristic tumblehome of the prototype. Still, the clear shell is great for re-vinyling and offers conversion potential into other units.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline REFaust

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »
I've added a video review of the original Farish 158 to my Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2e4GCLxps8

I also show the dummy unit fitted with the Tomix schafernberg couplers, which improve the look significantly over the rapidos.

R E Faust

:Class414:

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »
When I tested one of them, it moved a short distance then seized up

Usual cause is the worm gearing
It seems to deriorate with storage

From memory the later Class 101 chassis was similar, and so it is no surprise Class 158 chassis goes the same way

Offline H

• grahamehedges
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:37:20 PM »
The old Poole 158/159 spring drive was very poor and the gears were prone to split. Plus the spring would wind up the bogies and cause them to tilt. The newer Chinese bachmann chassis is far superior. I installed one in the old Poole class 159 to get better performance.

However, the model is starting to look very dated; no lights, limited detail, valance incorrectly fitted to bogie, not DCC ready and so on. But it's all we've really got for those classes and fills a gap. A little work such as attaching the valance to the body and replacing the end rapidos with TPM dummy couplers makes a big difference.

H.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 08:57:15 AM »
The old Poole 158/159 spring drive was very poor and the gears were prone to split. Plus the spring would wind up the bogies and cause them to tilt. The newer Chinese bachmann chassis is far superior. I installed one in the old Poole class 159 to get better performance.

The spring drive is not the general reason these fail - it's always split gears that lock the bogie up which then gives spring problems. Having repaired countless split gear victims of these for various folk, the gearing has been exclusively the reason. The spring drive has been used successfully on Tomix locos for some time also, and I expect this is where Farish originally found the idea from.

The other thing that needs to be watched is the armature centering relative to the brushes - this can cause noisy running and a lot weren't brilliantly assembled (though nowadays it's difficult to tell as folk take them apart and promptly make a mess of reassembling....!). Once this is set, split gears removed they'll run forever and a day with no problem.

Interestingly the very original designs Farish were looking at for these chassis were to have had double flywheels (I have one chassis block like this in my possession, sadly missing one of the flywheels so it will never run, but is an interesting oddity) - the two empty spaces in the chassis block either side of the armature about 1/2 way out bear legacy to this - in some ways it's a shame Farish never followed through with this.

With regards the newer chassis, in general they are better, but you can get poor ones too - one I used to have (sold it sharpish) was a slow slow runner, and the factory oiling was heavily overdone which had leaked onto the wheels and made a mess of the running surfaces.

With regards lighting, there's plenty of space to fit lights to them, surface mount LEDs could be used. I have one such conversion on the drawing board awaiting time to get it done!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £40.00
Site Currency: GBP
33% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal