!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

What do you think of this model?

Superb
1 (3.2%)
Good
10 (32.3%)
OK
15 (48.4%)
Poor
4 (12.9%)
Terrible
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Graham Farish - Class 101's - From 1990's  (Read 15593 times)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
Graham Farish - Class 101's - From 1990's
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:21:41 PM »
 :NGaugeForum:

Offline tadpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish - Class 101's - From 1990's
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »
Have several of these in various liveries, and generally find the 8wd versions better than the 4wd versions.
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:04:16 PM »
I may have been unlucky, or it was just the motor had some design glitch, but the Farish class 101 was consistently my most unreliably performer. It the peak of my UK collection I had six of these, and they were all indifferent runners...and that included both the full motor chassis and motor bogied examples.

When introduced they weren't bad...but the basic detailing and huge gap between the carriages quickly made them look antiquated. Some were subject to all manner of tinkerings to improve them, but ultimately they weren't great. That said, they must have been one of Farish's biggest sellers as for years they were the only r-t-r UK outline DMU. Also the 101 was quite a sensible choice, being one of the most wide-spread classes of unit on the network.

Offline tadpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »
agreed - when I said "better", I should have said "less bad".
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 09:01:21 AM »
I may have been unlucky, or it was just the motor had some design glitch, but the Farish class 101 was consistently my most unreliably performer. It the peak of my UK collection I had six of these, and they were all indifferent runners...and that included both the full motor chassis and motor bogied examples.

The motor bogie examples have 2 issues:

1. brass gearing - you need to replace the small 12 tooth worm idler gear otherwise it will wear the worm badly.
2. only 4 wheel pickup - if you fit additional pickups to the front bogie the performance will be transformed.

The full chassis ones are badly prone to split gears - there is an additional gearing stage within the chassis block that also splits, unlike other Farish models - so even if you change out the bogie gears you can get poor performance if the block gears are not also changed. The ones on the armature split most often - I've seen very few examples where this hasn't happened.

Once sorted the chassis actually run well - they are noisy, it's just inherent with them, but with the extra gearing stage their slow speed performance can be better than many modern models.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 09:05:37 AM »
Now I never knew about the step gear............

You learn something new all the time.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:10:27 AM »
Now I never knew about the step gear............

It's the sole reason they are noisy as there are gears at either end of the armature, which seem to amplify any intrinsic motor noise. The advantage is the additional crawl performance.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline oreamnos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »
I have examples in Blue, Blue-Grey, Green, and Strathclyde livery.  All of them are 8-wheel drive and date from the 1990s.  I have had to replace split axel or armature gears on a couple of them, but have never minded doing this.

I actually like these models quite a lot.  The detail is basic, but then there isn't much to break off!  Mine run really well even if they are noisy, though one of my four actually is fairly quiet.

My only gripes are 1.) the glazing on my blue set are separate parts which snap into the bodies and this looks a little clunky.  My other three all have clear plastic bodies which are painted to give an effective flush glazing effect.  (Does anyone know if Poole did blue sets with the clear plastic bodies, or were all the blue sets done with the snap in glazing?)  2.) The lack of close-coupling.  3.) The coupling housing of the rear bogie of the powered car tends to rest against the bottom of the body, which prevents the bogie from rocking up and down over uneven track.

But in general, I really like the old 101s.

Matt

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 06:14:29 PM »
Does anyone know if Poole did blue sets with the clear plastic bodies, or were all the blue sets done with the snap in glazing?

I think the blue ones were all the earlier style window insert bodies. Certainly the Green, blue/grey, regional and strathclydes came as one piece shells.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 06:57:36 PM »
I prefer the motor bogie version, but I fitted them with extra pickups - gets you interiors in both cars and you dont' need a sound chip 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 12:38:58 AM »
I prefer the motor bogie version, but I fitted them with extra pickups - gets you interiors in both cars and you dont' need a sound chip 8)

They can actually run very quietly if the brass idlers are swapped (actually a bonus - the real reason for changing the idler is to stop it wearing through the worm :) ).

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 11:53:24 AM »
My Farish 101 growls like a good un, but if memory serves, so did the full scale one! It runs OK fast or slow but the non-powered coach wobbles a bit. What I want to know is - who smashed the cab windows or left them down for the rain to get in???

Offline dottney

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:04:38 PM »
Kinda late joining this thread but I have two of the 3 car class 101 DMU sets.  One in BR Green and one in BR Blue.  Unfortunately they both have the GF plague- split gears.  I just received a Tomix TM13 powered chassis today from Plazajapan (ebay seller) and have been able to fit the chassis under the green body 101.  While the wheels are a bit smaller and the side frames of the bogies are incorrect I'm still happy to see the 3 car train motor its way around my layout.  I have to pick up a DCC decoder for it, hopefully at a major train show this coming weekend. 

As with my HST125 and Class47 diesels (both using Atlas mechanisms) I'm not all that concerned with appearance of the sideframes, I doubt 1 in 100 modelers here in the US would see the difference.  Heck I may just cannibalize the side frames from the GF bogies and glue them to the Tomix bogies as I've already taken the front buffer beam off the GF frame for the new mechanism.

All in all this chassis worked out to be about the same cost as replacing the axle sets from the UK vendor with GF parts and I've got a very smooth, quiet and modern mechanism.  It will also be a bit easier to put a decoder in this mechanism.
A quick question from a novice British prototype modeler, when did BR run the green stuff and when did they run they blue the stuff?  I'm still trying to under the historical organization of your railways.
Dave
(upstate NY, no where near NY city)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 09:16:31 PM »
Hey Dave - great idea for a repair. Well done and good result :thumbsup:
I'm not sure about the exact changeover to BR blue (think it was about 1967/8) but I'm sure someone on the forum can place it for you.

Edit - founfd the link I was looking for
http://www.railblue.com/

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
Now Farish have delivered the new all-singing, all dancing 101, now is a good time to plug the N-Train / Electra conversions for the old 101.

Bob Davies has done some lovely 3d printed ends for the BRCW Class 104 or Cravens 105 which, with a little modelling and some ERG vinyls, make up into a nice little DMU. Give the old chugger a new lease of life!
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP