!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trepol Bay ??  (Read 175665 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Trepol Bay ??
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »
Work on Trepol Bay has been delayed by holidays so no progress.
However, I had to go "up-country" today for a family visit and popped into East Somerset Models on the way home (which is a fairly frequent pit-stop).
Bought the Metcalfe stone built loco shed for Trepol Bay plus some Peco platform edging walls.
Also came across some self-assembly kits by P.G Models (whom I hadn't come across before) :
www.pg-models.co.uk/
It is mainly Military stuff but I bought (for 2.00) a pack containing 2 X 3/4 ton trailers which I can assemble and paint up as agricultural trailers . I thought for 2 great value.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:38:23 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2014, 09:04:09 PM »
Thanks for the update, Martin. I'm sure you'll be getting back to Trepol Bay, soon. Some of the PECO N - Lineside Kit: NB 27: PLATFORM EDGING: CONCRETE TYPE plus the matching ramps, are, IMHO, pretty essential for any SR station along with the RATIO N: 238 2 Concrete Huts and RATIO N: 219 Concrete Fencing, Gates plus, if the station is busy enough, one of the RATIO N: 222 Concrete Footbridge kits.

Offline smileyjon

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2014, 09:32:35 PM »
Hello Martin

I almost went for the stone loco shed but instead have ordered the double brick one . . . . bet yours turns out prettier than mine having seen your work

All the best  :wave:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »
Hello Martin

I almost went for the stone loco shed but instead have ordered the double brick one . . . . bet yours turns out prettier than mine having seen your work

Stone not only looks, IMHO, nicer, it's also typical for Cornwall. 8-) I'm sure Martin will do an excellent job.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2014, 07:27:51 AM »
Hello Martin

I like the term prettier Jon.
Are you suggesting I add hanging baskets and flower tubs ?? :laugh:

Offline cycletrak9

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2014, 07:36:12 AM »
I recall an old rhyme about prefixes to Cornish names along the lines of "Tre-, Pol- and Pen- are true Cornish men". Two out of three sounds pretty authentic.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2014, 07:52:20 AM »
Very much so .See the attached link :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tre_Pol_and_Pen
The GWR had a Duke class loco aptly named Tre-Pol and Pen.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
Hello Martin

I like the term prettier Jon.
Are you suggesting I add hanging baskets and flower tubs ?? :laugh:

Hmm, there will be a grassy area behind the loco. shed at Cant Cove with a path to the separate hut with the washroom and toilet facilities for the staff. I could put some of my flower tubs alongside the path. I'll place a bench in a shady corner, too. 8-)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2014, 08:24:49 PM »
Not much work on Trepol Bay lately as I've been busy but I have today received my first ex LSWR loco from Union Mills Models  to run on my Southern extension to Port Perran .  I've gone for the T9 in LSWR livery. I'm imagining it was restored (at Eastleigh) to LSWR livery and sent to North Cornwall to see out it's days before preservation.

This is my first Union Mills Loco and it definitely won't be my last. It is a superb runner straight from the box. Runs well at slow speeds and has no problems with Insulfrog points.
I like the weight of the loco. OK, so it hasn't got the detail of the new Dapol/Farish offerings but it looks like a T9, runs really well and seems to be nicely to scale.
And as for service fropm Union Mills - ordered at 2-30 yesterday afternoon and it arrived at 11.30 this morning (3-00 Royal Mail first Class).
I also like the paperwork and info provided by Union Mills. A great advert for a small model maker. Really well done to them.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »
So.......this evening I have started to the lay track into Trepol Bay station area.
I like to do this in sections so as to get it right and I always think the first bit is the most stressful. Get that right and the rest should follow. First bit checked and double checked (for alignment and neat/tidy/flat rail joints) then glued down and temporarily pinned till it's dry. Holes also drilled (and triple checked) for the two associated point motors.
Will now resist the temptation to add more track until the first section is dry !
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:38:03 PM by port perran »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »
Not much work on Trepol Bay lately as I've been busy but I have today received my first ex LSWR loco from Union Mills Models  to run on my Southern extension to Port Perran .  I've gone for the T9 in LSWR livery. I'm imagining it was restored (at Eastleigh) to LSWR livery and sent to North Cornwall to see out it's days before preservation.

This is my first Union Mills Loco and it definitely won't be my last. It is a superb runner straight from the box. Runs well at slow speeds and has no problems with Insulfrog points.
I like the weight of the loco. OK, so it hasn't got the detail of the new Dapol/Farish offerings but it looks like a T9, runs really well and seems to be nicely to scale.
And as for service fropm Union Mills - ordered at 2-30 yesterday afternoon and it arrived at 11.30 this morning (3-00 Royal Mail first Class).
I also like the paperwork and info provided by Union Mills. A great advert for a small model maker. Really well done to them.

Very nice. Is that your T9, Martin, because it is in SR livery? It certainly looks very good and I am very pleased to read about its performance. I would like a T9, too, but one in late BR Crest livery (but there are problems with the UM model not being suitable for any of the last survivors in North Cornwall) or in preserved LSWR livery like (30)120 was. I suspect Rule One, in the form of an additional preserved T9, would have to be invoked! I need to check with Douglas at Wickness about DCC conversion. As I like the old Graham Farish locos. (not as detailed as today's models, I agree) as they look the part the lack of detail on UM locos. would not concern me either.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2014, 10:41:22 AM »
So.......this evening I have started to the lay track into Trepol Bay station area.
I like to do this in sections so as to get it right and I always think the first bit is the most stressful. Get that right and the rest should follow. First bit checked and double checked (for alignment and neat/tidy/flat rail joints) then glued down and temporarily pinned till it's dry. Holes also drilled (and triple checked) for the two associated point motors.
Will now resist the temptation to add more track until the first section is dry !

Excellent news. It will be a while yet before I get to that stage, I'm afraid. I only have just over a week left to complete painting and construction.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2014, 12:44:46 PM »
Hi Chris
Hope you had a good break in England.
Yes, that is my T9 and yes it is in SR Livery. I did want a green one (simply because most of my other steam locos are in BR Black!). My Rule One excuse is that it was restored to SR Green livery at Eastleigh pending Preservation but there was a loco shortage in North Cornwall so it was despatched to the area as cover and ran in normal service for a few years.
As a loco it is a superb runner and service from UM is great so I'd recommend them. I may well be ordering the SR 700 0-6-0 !
And yes, track laying has started. I have a slightly tricky problem to resolve re linking Port Perran to Trepol Bay by means of TWO girder bridges side by side . One on the level taking the main running line into Trepol Bay Station and one (next to the first one) very slightly downhill taking the goods branch down to harbour level. I shall need to buy 2 or 3 of the Peco Girder Bridge kits.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2014, 01:01:13 PM »
Yes, thanks, Martin. I had a good break although the weather could have been better. I saw family and friends, visited some of my favourite pubs and enjoyed some good ales, visited Halfords (for aerosol paint: undercoat grey and red, masks and T-Cut -- a tube for use when removing numbers prior to renumbering stock) and picked up some parcels of N Gauge rolling stock and figures, including my Preiser horse drawn timber cart. I also travelled on SouthWest Trains and made a trip to Lymington.

I'm definitely planning to buy a T9 and a 700 'Black Motor' from UM, but probably not this year as I have plenty of existing locos at Wickness Models that need DCC fitting, first, and I still haven't bought a DCC controller (which I will do in a month or so as I have the mid-semester week in October to use it!).

I'd recommend looking at some of the German girder bridge kits as a change from the Peco ones.

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2014, 01:14:01 PM »
The T9 doesn't look too difficult to detail up yourself. 

Main things to sort (from a quick view on the inter web ) seem to be the Running Plate detail around the frames and smoke box mounting.  Then chop off / file off the hand rails and pipe work around the boiler and remake as separate items out of wire. 

Quick touch up with paint and "Robert is your mothers brother"...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here