!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Real Water  (Read 832 times)

Offline A.Carter (BiG-T)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22937
    • Awards
Real Water
« on: May 11, 2014, 02:45:40 PM »
Went to the Derby exhibition yesterday there was a I think ON30 layout Karolina Falls that was using real water on the layout.
From memory there is an N Gauge layout on the exhibition circuit that is using real water in a stream at one end of the layout as well.

is it just me or does real water look over scale if that's possible ???

Tony

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: Real Water
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 02:52:29 PM »
I saw that layout, and while real water looks and sounds impressive, it looked a bit like Niagera Falls next to the layout. A much smaller stream would have been better. There was a better water effect on Dyna Hyfryd, both the estuary and stream looked good and the narrow gauge railway looked great.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline A.Carter (BiG-T)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22937
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »
Malc I spent a fair bit of time looking at Dyna Hyfryd the river estuary looked very good 'too scale' excellent scenery the only thing for me there was not enough moving. I can count on one hand the amount of trains that came grinding through the scenery in the 1/2 hour or so I looked over the course of my visit. Whilst it's a personal thing I prefer to see plenty of movement on exhibition layouts.
The ones that really get me are the ''we're operating to a actual 1953 April the 12th timetable so if you can hang around till Friday there will be a local stopping service to see if your lucky'' type of operation.
At Derby there was a dealer in the back L/H corner of the main hall, I bought 4 Farish EWS Megabox Bogie wagons at 9 each (the last 4 on the stand) you don't remember who they are do you?

Tony

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »
That is one of my bones of contention. Far too many shunting layouts with nothing happening, or roundly roundly types with 1 train. There were lots of spectacular layouts that might as well have been photographs. I give them a couple of mins to see if anything moves, then if nothing does move, I move on.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything