!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Grange...maybe sometime soon.  (Read 42981 times)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Grange...maybe sometime soon.
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 12:04:20 PM »
I have an old kit waiting to be built, I think I may delay it even further and just buy the Dapol release

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 11:33:04 AM »
Apparently the Granges have just arrived at Osborns.

Usual disclaimer, no connections, just a regular customer.

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/dapol-forthcoming-releases-464-c.asp
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »
Aargh, blue route code discs.  :headbutt: Dapol seem to have a real blind spot with these. Their panniers have been released with every colour of route disc available (few of them correct for the loco they are depicting).

At least the livery details look correct. I have some red route code discs from Fox so that little problem should be easily fixed. Everything else looks good fortunately.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »
Apparently the Granges have just arrived at Osborns.

Usual disclaimer, no connections, just a regular customer.

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/dapol-forthcoming-releases-464-c.asp

Newsletter from Rails show them in stock at £107.50 which is £7 or so cheaper than Kernow :hmmm:

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »
Newsletter from Rails show them in stock at £107.50 which is £7 or so cheaper than Kernow

No real surprise there then. Kernow, with the exception of models that are not shifting for the manufacturer are invariably more expensive than others in the same league size wise. The only advantage for me is it's around 7 miles away so I can see a loco running before parting with my money. if I was using mail order they would certainly not be my first choice. I have never understood why they are more expensive than the likes of Hatton's and Rails, yet when in their shop the phone rings constantly with credit card orders. Nothing against them mind you, always a friendly bunch, it's just I like the best price.

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 02:52:20 PM »
Useful - if frustrating - to know about the route availability disk issue.  It also looks like the tender uses solid wheels rather than the spoked items used on the Dapol Manors and 28xx series (and possibly others).  Is this correct or should Granges have spoked tender wheels?

As for pricing; my first choice is always my local shop where I can have a good look and see stuff running before buying.  His prices compare well with Hattons and the like (sticker price is a bit more but there's no P&P) so I don't feel like I'm paying a huge premium for the benefit of having a local retailer.  The only problem is that my local shop can't carry the level of stock that Hattons, Rails, etc, can; and there's no telling when new stock will arrive, particularly from Dapol (Bachmann/Farish stuff seems to arrive every week or 2).  If I'm doing mail order I prefer to buy from somewhere I've dealt with before and at a competitive price.

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »
It also looks like the tender uses solid wheels rather than the spoked items used on the Dapol Manors and 28xx series (and possibly others).  Is this correct or should Granges have spoked tender wheels?
The Granges ran with at least 4 different types of tender. Both the models shown are paired with the 4000 gallon Collett tender which Dapol first introduced on the Hall. As an older model, this has solid wheels. Whilst not correct, I can understand Dapol not wanting to retool this.

Some of the Granges ran with 3500 gallon Churchward tenders. We will have to wait and see if the Dapol models with those tenders have the correct spoked wheels but I imagine they will be as per the 2884.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 04:51:41 PM »
I'd very much appreciate anyone getting a Grange posting their thoughts on it in this thread.
It would be a most useful addition to my fleet but a purchase will hinge on what I read here.
 :thankyousign:

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 05:23:26 PM »
I'll second that, a review on the new Grange would be welcomed. Have they used the long lead in time to bring improvements to their mechanisms, or is it simply a close cousin of the Hall & Manor with consolidated productions costs and nothing else ?

I will get one, but my recent Farish Standard class 5 is no growler and runs effortlessly. I want to see Dapol succeed, and not become as Skoda did before Volkswagon stepped in, dragging them up to where they are now.

Offline Cape Town Trev

• N Gauge Society Number: 7499
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 06:10:16 PM »
And when will the GWR Grange be in the shops? Dapol website did not specify that these are on way to stockists. I know Osborne's website appears to show GWR Grange in stock.

Online Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 09:03:52 PM »
Although I thought I was nearing the bottom of my loco / stock wish list a recent flurry of Farish releases have added a good number of products. As such my promised GWR themed "rail tour" loco is now relegated further into the future purchase category.

THAT being said, I too would appreciate a review of these, as I have a soft spot for the GWR and Dapol have some lovely looking models.

Skyline2uk

(I am also very keen on the Castle, but I have checked and Farish don't list a preserved version in their initial release for their new model).

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards

Offline NJB

• N Gauge Society Number: 15085
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2015, 09:43:36 PM »
I ordered mine on Saturday and it arrived today and is affine model IHMO.

It ran well straight from the box and although I can't use my full layout at the moment, I'm looking forward to running it in.
Well done Dapol; :laugh:it looks the part
N J Bennett

Offline SidmouthJunction

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2015, 01:29:59 PM »
There will be a full review of the Dapol Grange in next month's Railway Modeller.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations