!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: This is why I love my Life-Like E8 (and get mad at just about everything else...  (Read 1753 times)

Offline scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
http://youtu.be/-elSijbpM4Q

That's my stupid 4% grade. I was doing some track maintenance and was using Ol' Faithful to check things out. Then, I put some cars behind her. Then more...then I wanted to see what she could do. I ran out of decent rolling stock, and didn't want to see the absurdity of adding on cabooses, so I stopped at 17 cars, but she had room for way more. Makes me sad that all my Atlas and Kato purchases couldn't come close. I know all about weight, and wheel material and axles and what not (now), but it was just nice to see a loco working like that.  :NGaugersRule:
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline ozzie Bill.

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
It's always a great sight when things run just so smooth, isn't it. Bill.

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Hi Scott,

Your B&O E8 looks very good hauling that lot  :thumbsup:

I have a few B&O locos and passenger cars, I think it is one of the classic liveries  ;)

cheers John.

Offline scottmitchell74

• Awards
It's always been my favorite since I was 6 years old. In fact, I was in the process of adding CSX and Conrail to my fleet, but decided to downgrade again as I'd rather have more B&O, C&O, and Chessie.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
There is much that can be achieved by good design of a loco and careful weighting and springing, and IMHO a lot that can only be achieved by making the chassis a great big heavy chunk of metal

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline scottmitchell74

• Awards
Update! Just wanted to play some more...

http://youtu.be/lbgaW1tLvx8

25 cars this time, in a strange rake.

Offline oreamnos

• N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
I have a few LL E8s from when I was doing US outline and while they will pull any train the shape of their nose is just wrong.  There is a noticeable "fold line" across the front of the nose between the curvy top part as it transitions to the front and side of the nose which is simply not there in the prototype.  Strangely, the LL E7 (which shares the nose shape of the prototype E8 in real life) is correct and doesn't have the crease, and neither does the LL slope nose E6.  In UP livery, the fold line is camouflaged by the green anti-glare paint on the top of the nose, but you can still tell it's there.

Anyhow, while I have a few of them (they were less than $20 at the time - and I got my "improved" post Walthers one (both A and B units) for $35), I have never warmed to them because of that darn fold line.

Matt
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:44:45 AM by oreamnos »

Offline scottmitchell74

• Awards
What road name are they?

Offline oreamnos

• N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
If you're asking me, Scott, they are all UP.  Except for a few diesels in BNSF, all my US outline locos are UP.

Matt

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal