Travel - Your Favorite Places - Where you've been and where you want to go...

Started by scottmitchell74, February 28, 2014, 02:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d-a-n

Mrs Dan persuaded me to get the passport sorted a couple of years ago as the British holidays we were taking were camping (hate it) or staying with friends or relatives. We went to Rome and although it was too hot, it was nice, especially once I'd acclimatised. Last year we did a rail tour of Germany through Cologne (loved it, two model train shops near the hotel), Berlin, Munich and Stuttgart. I really love the look of the Area south of Jena, all hills and rivers and what looked like a more rural Germany. I reckon Saalfeld or round there would be my next destination so I could explore 'Naturpark Thüringer Schiefergebirge'.

Bigric

Hmm - damn tricky to pick my fave 3 places I've visited.....right , here goes !!

1. California Highway 1 Roadtrip . Based with some friends in Sacramento (such a civilised city for the US !) - took the hire car to Yosemite for 3 days , then up to Crater Lake caldera in S Oregon , across to the coast & down Highway 1/Pacific coast to Carmel over a 10 day period . 30 years ago I'd driven all the way down from Vancouver to the Mexican border , but this northern section of the Pacific Coast Highway was the bit I really wanted to do again . Not as hot & sunny as the southern bit , but much quieter , more remote & more beautiful . Miles & miles of deserted sandy beaches & great swathes of pine trees coming right down to the sea . Only downside I can think of - black hole for mobile phone reception ! Highlights - Giant Redwoods , Point Arena lighthouse , Ferndale , Fort Bragg , Mendocino , gorgeous 30's vacation cottages at Mar Vista (Anchor Bay) , Bodega Bay (where Hitchcock filmed The Birds - yes , I had my photo taken in front of the schoolhouse) San Francisco (obviously) & the fabulous curved bay at Carmel .
2. Best city break - Barcelona . Been here 3 times now , each time for 3 or 4 days , never get tired of what it has to offer .Been a bit boring really  & stayed in the same hotel each time (H10 Montcarda , near the old quarter) Just so much to do & see in the city . Will be going again I'm sure !
3. Toss up here between railways in the Swiss Alps (Glacier Express , Bernina Express & a few narrow gauge & cog railways ) on an organised package with Great Rail Journeys - not cheap , but good value for money & VERY well organised ) and Croatia . Been to Croatia twice now - first time was about 8 years ago & we stayed near Cavtat , just south of Dubrovnik , second time 2 years ago right up at the northern end , at Opatija . Both great places to stay , both very different . Similarities ?? Both on a beautiful Med coast , nice people , not too dear , great food & not many Brits ! Especially Opartija , which was where the wealthy from the old Habsburg Empire used to holiday .
            Those are my picks ! Now , where to next .....??? Cheers to all , Ric

scottmitchell74

Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

joe cassidy

Anyone been to Zanzibar ?

I'm hankering to to go there, not for a beach holiday but because I like places with a mixture of cultures - African, Arabic, and British.

My wife is a Queen fan (the music group) and I'm sure she would like to see the house where Freddie Mercury lived as a kid.

Any tips/suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%