!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bachfar New Mark 2F Coaches  (Read 6030 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Bachfar New Mark 2F Coaches
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2019, 01:43:22 PM »
Good points. 2e 2e 2d would sell. Unsure about a 2c. Interesting we maybe waiting a while !!!!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:49:21 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2019, 02:34:56 PM »
It's hard to imagine anyone waiting for a 2D/E once the 2F is out, so I think that's a total dead end. Likewise the 2B/C; in the main the market will be totally satisfied by the Farish 2A.

Yes the delays are annoying, but I can't see anyone swooping in to bring any mk2 air-cons out before Farish, whenever that may be.

If we need modern coaches just turn to Dapol Mk3s at 21 a piece and wildly available.

Great if you need a mk3, but pretty irrelevant if you want a mk2.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2019, 02:41:36 PM »
Conversion of existing models.  I see what you are saying nick

Offline Bob G

• N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2019, 02:45:16 PM »
It's hard to imagine anyone waiting for a 2D/E once the 2F is out, so I think that's a total dead end. Likewise the 2B/C; in the main the market will be totally satisfied by the Farish 2A.

Yes the delays are annoying, but I can't see anyone swooping in to bring any mk2 air-cons out before Farish, whenever that may be.

If we need modern coaches just turn to Dapol Mk3s at 21 a piece and wildly available.

Great if you need a mk3, but pretty irrelevant if you want a mk2.

And RevolutioN are doing the Mk5...leaving a gaping hole called Mk4, which hopefully is still Cavalex's plan, after they have been done in OO.
Now who's going to do a Bullied Tavern Car pair...
Bob

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »
I would happily have mk. 2D carriages to modern standards in addition to 2Fs as these are noticeably different from the mk. 2Fs (and there are certain types of carriages, such as the TSOT, that only existed in mk. 2D form); likewise, the 2Bs were different from the 2As and 2Zs in lacking the centre door and also had carriage types (the mini-buffet) lacking from 2A types.

I suspect that the market for distinct types of mk. 2s beyond air conditioned and non air-conditioned may be too small for manufacturers to find profitable, however.
Peertube > Youtube

Offline Bob G

• N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2019, 03:03:20 PM »
I would happily have mk. 2D carriages to modern standards in addition to 2Fs as these are noticeably different from the mk. 2Fs (and there are certain types of carriages, such as the TSOT, that only existed in mk. 2D form); likewise, the 2Bs were different from the 2As and 2Zs in lacking the centre door and also had carriage types (the mini-buffet) lacking from 2A types.

I suspect that the market for distinct types of mk. 2s beyond air conditioned and non air-conditioned may be too small for manufacturers to find profitable, however.

I'm hanging on to my China production Mk 2D/E coaches from 2004. Only cost me 10/coach plus interiors and super close coupling. The BSO looks a bit odd with printed handrails but the FO and SO are good enough for me, and are just right behind a blue 50 on the WR with Mk 1 RMB and Mk 1 BG.

Bob

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2019, 03:09:09 PM »
Would look good with a 47 bob.  I have 5 behind a class 47 and a bg with buffet myself, but yes  shalll have a look  on the threads re coaches reviews. I thought there was a mk 4 lner by farish but out of my period.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »
Which coach would Revolution do? Mk1 and Mk3 are done - so that leaves Mk2's - 2A is done and 2F is imminent, if anyone announced a Mk2F now it would take a miracle to beat Farish to the shops given theirs is done and just awaiting a slot. So you are down to 2B-E not sure how any of them would sell after the Mk2A and 2F are out

That is an interesting question - clearly in OO there is space in the market for multiple versions of the same coaches as well as the different variants of Mk2.

I wonder whether there is sufficient demand in N to do say the Mk2 b/c/d/e - I'd love to see them produced.

Cheers Mike

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2019, 03:18:01 PM »
Mike guess sufficient demand has to be the key factor at 20 to 28 pound a coach or a box set of 3 as an incentive to buy

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2019, 03:31:33 PM »
Which coach would Revolution do? Mk1 and Mk3 are done - so that leaves Mk2's - 2A is done and 2F is imminent, if anyone announced a Mk2F now it would take a miracle to beat Farish to the shops given theirs is done and just awaiting a slot. So you are down to 2B-E not sure how any of them would sell after the Mk2A and 2F are out

That is an interesting question - clearly in OO there is space in the market for multiple versions of the same coaches as well as the different variants of Mk2.

I wonder whether there is sufficient demand in N to do say the Mk2 b/c/d/e - I'd love to see them produced.

Cheers Mike

I should like to see these, too, especially (in order of priority) the Ds and Bs, as having these in addition to the As and Fs would allow a more realistic reflection of the makeup of trains in the 1980s, which is the period that I model in N gauge.
Peertube > Youtube

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »

I keep seeing threads along the lines of "Revlex to produce ZQX wheelie bin wagons" and (being terribly ignorant of wagonny stuff) am like "eh? and they want how much for what's that?" but sign me up for anything which rolled past during my mid-1980s spotting days at Birmingham New Street. I could even be persuaded to work out the difference(s) between Mk2 d/e/f variants. What's that? You're offering a Class 87/85/81 to go with them? Here, take my credit card. Sorry? A 116/117 DMU as well? Here, take my first-born.

Dunno whether that's enough to justify actually producing those things (especially when you've actually experienced my firstborn)...  :hmmm:
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2019, 04:51:43 PM »

I keep seeing threads along the lines of "Revlex to produce ZQX wheelie bin wagons" and (being terribly ignorant of wagonny stuff) am like "eh? and they want how much for what's that?" but sign me up for anything which rolled past during my mid-1980s spotting days at Birmingham New Street. I could even be persuaded to work out the difference(s) between Mk2 d/e/f variants. What's that? You're offering a Class 87/85/81 to go with them? Here, take my credit card. Sorry? A 116/117 DMU as well? Here, take my first-born.

Dunno whether that's enough to justify actually producing those things (especially when you've actually experienced my firstborn)...  :hmmm:

You have excellent taste in models - especially the DMUs. Do you have a layout thread?
Peertube > Youtube

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2019, 05:00:51 PM »
demand has to be the key factor at 20 to 28 pound a coach

Working out likely demand is crucial to pricing for a coach.  Tooling for a coach (or in reality a range of coaches) is comparatively expensive (compared to a loco or wagon) due to the variations you need.  We took the view with the Mk5s that the only solution was to do all the variations, I'm not sure you could do that for some of the Mk2 range so you might have to prioritise.

This is just best guess, but I doubt anyone is going to be able to do decent coaches to a modern standard at a price cheaper than Farish - one simple reason being that Farish have a large dealer network so find it easier to sell larger quantities (plus they're prepared to hold stock if necessary). 

If you can sell large quantities then you can reduce the cost per coach - as you split the fixed tooling cost across more models and you get a better unit price for bulk orders from the factories.

Cheers Mike

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2019, 05:06:56 PM »
 Thank you mike . Clarified a question succinctly
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:10:52 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2019, 05:42:01 PM »
This is just best guess, but I doubt anyone is going to be able to do decent coaches to a modern standard at a price cheaper than Farish - one simple reason being that Farish have a large dealer network so find it easier to sell larger quantities (plus they're prepared to hold stock if necessary). 

Dapol ;)

I agree that in OO the market is there for the various types - as we've seen, they get a 'proper' Mk3a, although weirdly Hornby are sticking normal mk3 roofs on their buffets, which is worse than Dapol's compromises (which I fully understand)! But they've also got the different mk2 D/E/F too. I'd like there to be the full gamut, because choice is always good, but as I said I struggle to imagine there's a market so close to the release of the Farish mk2F. Give it a couple of years and maybe...

That was rather my point, rather than saying there was no difference, although aside from different air con modules between the mk2d/e and f I'd struggle to identify the differences!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal