!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Capital Lines  (Read 133588 times)

willike1958 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: The Capital Lines
« Reply #1080 on: March 26, 2020, 06:54:51 AM »
Pity about the juicer. Are you using separate track circuits for loco detection?

Yes, everything is divided into blocks to support computer control, signalling, etc. Apart from testing Iím not actually using the computer side of things as yet, but experience with my OO layouts in the past has taught me itís not something Iíd willingly live without 8)

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #1081 on: March 26, 2020, 07:21:29 AM »

Digging drainage ditches while self-isolating 8)

I think these wider runs in the Kato 23-227 Drain Tile Cover Set are drainage channels whilst the narrower parts are for cable runs, but I may well be wrong on that.  Either way itís a quick and easy addition to the general line side clutter.

Hmm, I'd always assumed they are covers for cable runs (wide and narrow versions), but the production description does indeed describe them as drainage channel covers.

They look just like the cable run covers you see on railway lines in Japan anyway.

Music while I work: The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
I hope that's not breaking news?
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1082 on: March 26, 2020, 07:39:30 AM »
Hmm, I'd always assumed they are covers for cable runs (wide and narrow versions), but the production description does indeed describe them as drainage channel covers.

They look just like the cable run covers you see on railway lines in Japan anyway.

Yes, Iím treating both as generic line-side gubbins. Anyone levering them up to check whatís underneath wonít be in the mancave for long :D

In fairness to Kato, I have seen drainage channels disappearing under such things in cab-ride videos.

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1083 on: March 27, 2020, 07:11:35 PM »

More bits for the Great Electrical Catch-Up arrived today from John at youChoos - great service once again.  Although, sitting here looking at the photo, I realise I should have ordered 1 more of the Next18s to clear everything in the Next18 DCC queue :-[

The DR5088RC sixteen block detector will support the new lines Iíve been laying this month, only the older part of the layout has track-circuiting at the moment.  As mentioned in a previous post, the Hex Frog Juicer and the DR5088RC arenít going to play together well on the return loops.  Thatís just a fact of life when it comes to the economy of having multiple detectors or reversers in one package.

Having pondered for a few days, I think Iím going to use a few of my older Lenz LB101 detectors for the return loops.  Having only two block detectors per board, Iíll be able to hang one of these from each of the Hexís 3 outputs.  Iíll lose RailCom in the return loops themselves, but entries and exits will still have it and pass the data to the software  :thumbsup:

That way I can keep on using the Hex Frog Juicer and not have to buy more expensive reversers.   Three of digikeijsí all singing all dancing DR5013s would give me RailCom in each reversing loop but cost a smidgeon over £240 in total, the Hex was only £68 :)

Music while I work: Prefab Sprout - Protest Songs

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1084 on: March 29, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »

More pins, copydex and cork.  This area has been re-layed as I wasnít happy with the alignment of my first attempt.  Increasingly common, Iím finding - must be old age :worried:

The pinned borders mark the current extent of the glued and wired track, the 3 sections bottom right are the ends of the return loops, currently lying loose pending the ability to collect more timber.

The Farish Castle has just been fitted with a Zimo MX618N18 decoder and runs superbly :thumbsup:

Iíve decided to name areas of the layout after local places, although there is no connection with reality whatsoever beyond the theft of the name.  This is now Ketley North Junction.  Not inappropriate given that, for an electric and diesel man, the layout seems to have gone a bit kettley :-\

Music while I work: The Beatles - A Hard Dayís Night

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1085 on: March 29, 2020, 11:08:38 AM »
the layout seems to have gone a bit kettley :-\

John Kettley is a weatherman..........................and so is Michael Fish
(Tribe of Toffs 1988)

Offline Bluebottle

• If its a smooth runner its got a home on my layout
    • Awards
« Reply #1086 on: March 30, 2020, 01:25:50 AM »
Sorry didn't quite hear that, did you say John's kettle and Micheal's Fishplate are in some weather, man?, I'm sorry I'll read that again....

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1087 on: March 31, 2020, 06:52:32 PM »

Iíve been mocking up routes on the lower level of the peninsula using unmodified Kato Unitrack, hence one or two doglegs and gaps in the photo.  The final glued-down version will have gentler curves.

Not being able to nip out and buy timber for baseboards has been a sticking point of late and Iíve finally decided to eat the (chipboard) sheet sandwich of high carrier charges and have it all delivered tomorrow.  Touch wood ;)

The green lines denote the extent of glued-down and wired-in track.  The red lines denote the extent of the baseboards proper, the assorted offcuts and white boards beyond these are temporary aids until the timber is delivered.

Reversing loop #1 is the main route trains would take normally, although reversing loop #2 can also be used.  Keep in mind this is part of the fiddle yard, so a train held on one loop while another passes nicely increases the offstage storage capacity.

Reversing loop #3 canít be used by normal traffic as itís merely an extension of the carriage siding headshunt.  Itís function is to allow ECS to creep around the loop independently of main line traffic and, again, increase storage capacity.

Siding #4 (note that itís not a reversing loop) is an addition to my original plan and caters for parking a shuttle service.  Itís longer than needed as Iím toying with the notion that curving things around to #5 as shown would give a handy parking area for some ĎRule 1í stock.

Item #6 is the Hex Frog Juicer switching the polarity of the 3 loops, a highly recommended product and a nice, silent change from the low-tech clunk of my older reversing loop units :thumbsup:

Item #7 is Twinings Earl Grey tea.  Hot :heart:

Music while I work: Bad Company - Dangerous Age

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1088 on: March 31, 2020, 07:32:44 PM »
I may not be alone in getting withdrawal symptoms for a vid, Steve (nudge, nudge) ;)

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1089 on: March 31, 2020, 07:38:47 PM »
Me too.  I just want to golden spike the baseboard and return loops first 8)

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #1090 on: March 31, 2020, 08:34:40 PM »
Looking terrific ... and yes would love a "ride-on" vid once all in place!

Cheers  :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1091 on: March 31, 2020, 08:37:36 PM »
Looking really good.
Another vote here for the video.
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1092 on: April 01, 2020, 12:23:19 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
Looking really good.
Another vote here for the video.

Agreed & yes please to a video soon
         stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1093 on: April 02, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »

Well, the timber I was expecting yesterday didnít turn up as things are getting behind schedule during the current pandemic.  So giving me an actual delivery slot was, presumably, an April Fool prank :veryangry:

Still, loads to do and Iíve been getting on.  More catenary baseplates glued down.  More ballasting done, more wiring, etc :thumbsup:

As Iím a good way off fitting a facia Iíve bunged on a couple of wood blocks to support an additional Lenz LS-152 faceplate at the far end of the fiddle yard.  Train control on this layout uses XpressNet while points and signals are on Loconet.

Music while I work: Placebo - Without You Iím Nothing

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1094 on: April 06, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »

Still havenít got my timber for the baseboard, so Iím pressing on with all sorts of jolly things.  More Kato 23-227 trunking, for example, this time with an access cover at a T-junction :camera:

Music while I work: King Crimson - Red

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal