!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Capital Lines  (Read 91251 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Capital Lines
« Reply #780 on: March 27, 2018, 09:46:05 AM »
A decent pair of trollies will sort that :D

W.A.Camwell & R. Edgley Cox by Tony Martin, on Flickr

:D

wait all day for a trolly and three turn up at once!

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #781 on: March 27, 2018, 11:28:40 PM »

A small and timely delivery from Keith at Traintrax today.  Various bits that were holding up progress, including some 315mm single track viaduct sections :thumbsup:

In order to conceal the power feed for these I've run a cable up a 50mm pier (with added holes) and soldered it onto the rails/joiners.  Should look better than on the last layout when I had them dangling free!

:hellosign: Excellent solution Steve
        regards Derek.

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: The Capital Lines/Up The Bank
« Reply #782 on: March 29, 2018, 10:42:23 AM »

Over the last few days I've been working on the bank up from the lower fiddle yard.  The trackbed is now cut and glued together, although not yet fixed in place vertically as some gradient tweaks are needed before the final risers/supports are fitted.  The assortment of boxfiles aren't permanent :no:

Ignore the raised "Styrenehenge" in the far corner, that's there as part of a DC test track at the moment.  Speaking of which, Parcelforce man has just delivered something Japanese innabox which I shall now go and unpack :drool:

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #783 on: April 05, 2018, 09:54:57 AM »

Despite initial enthusiasm, Tingley End hasn't progressed far since it last appeared. Partly as I've been slogging away at more mundane tasks, but mainly because it doesn't have anywhere to sit at the moment - I need to build some kind of supporting structure beyond the A/V stand where it used to perch!

Feeling guilty about this, I've slapped on a bit of a covering over some of the rough-cut expanded polystyrene.  Actually Vallejo 599 'Coarse Pumice' paste, meant more for wargame figure basing but I've a whole tub unused and it seemed rude to waste it :)

The return loop will be styled as a Japanese single track country section, complete with the obligatory crossing leading to a residence of some sort.

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #784 on: April 11, 2018, 02:11:44 PM »

Just arrived from Plazajapan on ebay, Tomytec's "Manufacturing Office & Shop B" - part number 155.  Bought as a useful couple of the non-descript structures frequently seen backing onto railway lines :thumbsup:

I'll need a lie-down after that strenuous build, I'm all modelled-out :D

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #785 on: April 12, 2018, 11:24:59 AM »

As glimpsed in a previous photo, I've been using some Kato elevated track as a temporary running-in circuit over one corner of the layout - test-running on the kitchen table being increasingly problematic in that I need to be in attendance at all times to prevent Cat incursions :veryangry:

Unfortunately I quite liked the look of the 'temporary' circuit and ideas for a more permanent configuration have taken root ::)

This is my first significant deviation from The Plan but is an extension/re-routing of an existing planned route rather than a completely new line. Consequently the only real head-scratching involves sight-lines - I don't want a train with a camera on one route to be able to see a train on the other route :no:

First attempts with a few blocks of wood and spare buildings suggest this is very do-able. A key attraction for me is using both sides of the buildings in different scenes now gives me twice the utility for my pound/yen 8)

Offline Eddie Reffin

• N Gauge Society Number: 28410
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #786 on: April 12, 2018, 11:39:39 AM »
Just spent a good few hours going through the whole thread after being given the link by a good friend. It's been very inspiring and love what you have done with Unitrack. Time to dust off my box of track and get a layout built (finally!) in the man cave.
Cheers

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #787 on: April 12, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »
Thanks Eddie :thumbsup:

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #788 on: April 12, 2018, 07:34:16 PM »
That actually looks quite cool  8)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #789 on: April 12, 2018, 08:09:17 PM »
Looks smashing.
Keep us updated please.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #790 on: April 12, 2018, 10:09:56 PM »
... test-running on the kitchen table being increasingly problematic in that I need to be in attendance at all times to prevent Cat incursions :veryangry:

Ah yes; Cat incursions!  Poppy had a train on its side (again!) today.  That is apart from the Union Mills locomotive whose weight kept it upright.  It's my own fault for letting her into the train set room.  But she is very happy in there and I'm too soft for my own good.

All the best and thank you for the excellent photographs.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #791 on: April 13, 2018, 10:52:47 AM »

Streuth!  More parts than normal for a Tomytec kit, took me almost 15 minutes and needed glue :uneasy:

Police station, accessories and figures: part number 047-2.  By the look of the included delivery bike, police in Japan also have a sideline in Pizza :no:

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #792 on: April 14, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »

Continuing the Tomytec theme, 2 packs of '114 Railroad Crossing C' turned up this morning at 4.77 per pack - so 4 crossings in total.

Need fixing in place on a layout (obviously) but beyond that are pre-painted, no glue required and only the horizontal barriers need clipping in place.

One of these is earmarked for my Tingley End return loop module, but I'm sure I'll find a use for the other three :thumbsup:

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #793 on: April 16, 2018, 11:49:19 AM »

I'm modifying a couple of Greenmax dummy signals to give double-headed examples, the one in the middle is my first step.

It won't give rise to 100% accurate replicas of Japanese prototypes, but I'm hoping they'll be more than acceptable dummies until such time as I'm ready to fit real signalling.

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #794 on: April 16, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »
It won't give rise to 100% accurate replicas of Japanese prototypes, but I'm hoping they'll be more than acceptable dummies until such time as I'm ready to fit real signalling.

To my laysquid's eye, each company in Japan seems to have its own signalling system slightly different from the others, so I reckon you'll be able to hold off the Rivetcounter Bobbies.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything