!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Capital Lines  (Read 128669 times)

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: The Capital Lines
« Reply #1470 on: July 31, 2020, 09:42:22 PM »

Earlier today, Molly trying to work out how to dig a bone out of water ;)

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1471 on: August 02, 2020, 07:45:24 AM »
Just learned about your loss Steve,

My condolences to you. I know how it feels as we lost Jess (kelpie) and Kyla (lab cross) a few years ago now. I still miss them both dearly. The trouble with a dog is that they give so much when we lose them it hurts like hell.

Best wishes
Webbo

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1472 on: August 02, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
My condolences to you. I know how it feels as we lost Jess (kelpie) and Kyla (lab cross) a few years ago now. I still miss them both dearly. The trouble with a dog is that they give so much when we lose them it hurts like hell.

Thanks.  While we're left with only one dog Molly is the centre of attention and gets filmed every time she moves.

Yesterday at the (busier than usual) lake.  She was kept on the leash in the water to stop her mingling with the hoards of boats that were out.

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1473 on: August 03, 2020, 03:43:29 PM »

Well, that looks very nice indeed!  I picked up a single Farish 376-275 Thompson Corridor Brake Third as, although itís still in teak, itís numbered as E1914 in BR service.  I thought it would sit well as a BR vehicle covered in filth and with a dark grey roof, but now Iíve got it in my paws Iím not sure I want to desecrate that gorgeous factory finish :drool:

Music while I work: Stump - Does the Fish Have Chips

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1474 on: August 03, 2020, 04:23:37 PM »
Your music choice there reminds me of the Bonzo Dog track "Can blue men sing the whites?" :D

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #1475 on: August 03, 2020, 04:25:40 PM »
Steve

In my opinion, the Thompsonís in Teak and Blood and Custard look quite exquisite and are the best coaches produced by Farish thus far.

Mike H  8)

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1476 on: August 03, 2020, 04:30:21 PM »
In my opinion, the Thompsonís in Teak and Blood and Custard look quite exquisite and are the best coaches produced by Farish thus far.

Were it not for the mouth-watering SE&CR birdcage stock I'd definitely agree with you :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1477 on: August 03, 2020, 04:30:32 PM »
Thanks Steve (I think) :doh:
Just ordered a triple pack of the Esso grey/red livery and hope that's correct for transition era :uneasy:

Many thanks, Steve. I must have missed this announcement. I have ordered a triple pack in the original Esso silver/red livery.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1478 on: August 03, 2020, 04:31:59 PM »
Steve

Mike H  8)

Agreed, Mike. However, I eagerly await them in BR Lined Maroon livery, next year?

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #1479 on: August 03, 2020, 04:41:19 PM »
Steve

Mike H  8)

Agreed, Mike. However, I eagerly await them in BR Lined Maroon livery, next year?

So am I, but I just couldnít wait, I had to buy the blood and custard ones, my layout has now slightly changed periods to early fifties to mid sixties, instead of late fifties to early sixties, but worth it, just need some earlier locomotives, Union Mills springs to mind

Mike H  8)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:57:53 PM by Newportnobby, Reason: Quotation bit sorted »

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: The Capital Lines - Tales from the Swagbag
« Reply #1480 on: August 04, 2020, 01:07:22 PM »

My mega-bargains from Model Railways Direct arrived promptly this morning.  A Castle and an Ivatt Mogul.

As this is my second Tiverton Castle, Iíve been browsing
https://fox-transfers.co.uk/etched-plates?class=1453&plate_type=1701&scale=112&transfer_company=2155&transfer_period=2156
for a new identity.  With due regard to chimneys, tenders and superheaters of course :wave:

I'm sure I was told GWR locos were all the same :D

Music while I work: Donald Fagan - Nightfly

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1481 on: August 04, 2020, 01:50:27 PM »
Congratulations on your acquisitions, Steve.

Both locomotives look excellent and are a severe test of my locomotive purchasing policy.  I'm wobbling!

With regard to renaming the 'Castle', another difference is the inside cylinder cover.  On the 1920s engines, these were an attractive curved shape - like on the 'Star' class.  On the later-build examples, the cover was box-shaped.  All the 4xxx engines had the early cover and almost all the 5xxx examples had the box-shaped one.  However, the first few 5xxx engines had the early cover.  I think these were Nos 5000-5012.  I can look this up if it will help.

All the very best.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #1482 on: August 04, 2020, 01:57:22 PM »
Steve

By my simple maths you must be well over 100 years old by now with all those the birthdays you have had in recent weeks.  :no:

Enjoy your new toys, the Ivatt is lovely loco, I got mine back in February, guess what, it was my birthday.  ;)

Mike H  8)

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1483 on: August 04, 2020, 02:13:04 PM »
With regard to renaming the 'Castle', another difference is the inside cylinder cover.  On the 1920s engines, these were an attractive curved shape - like on the 'Star' class.  On the later-build examples, the cover was box-shaped.  All the 4xxx engines had the early cover and almost all the 5xxx examples had the box-shaped one.  However, the first few 5xxx engines had the early cover.  I think these were Nos 5000-5012.  I can look this up if it will help.

Thanks, yes, a timely reminder :thumbsup:

Please don't trouble yourself to look it up, I've got the gen somewhere or other.  I'll certainly keep that in mind when leafing through photos looking for potential victims ;)

Seems like most of my favourite names so far have Hawksworth tenders ::)

5045 Earl of Dudley by Steve Jones, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:15:03 PM by tutenkhamunsleeping »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1484 on: August 04, 2020, 02:23:33 PM »
It did cross my mind Sunday morning to order a weathered Ivatt but as it turns out there were none left and I had to order a class 17 this morning. Synchronicity or what? :D

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal