!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Capital Lines  (Read 129041 times)

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: The Capital Lines
« Reply #1395 on: July 08, 2020, 04:45:21 PM »

The large chickens have come home to roost and once again, Baldrick, weíre at home to Mr C0ckup.

Iíve not managed to fit a single signal yet without pulling it up and having a second go, this latest example was inevitably no exception.  Tested first, then glued into place before bed.  Next morning I find the wires arenít long enough for me to reach as this location is above a bookcase :veryangry:

Uprooted and re-fixed with extended wires now, it also needs the ladder replacing and some touching up.  Some CRSignals can be a bit wonky in the assembly department and Iíve reset the head on this one to cure a slight lean.

Iím hoping the second signal in shot will be my first large chicken free installation.  Iíve already extended the wires, and removed the resistors - the Digitrax terminal block pictured has some built in.  What could possible go wrong? :-\

Music while I work: Roy Harper - Bullinamingvase
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 04:47:13 PM by tutenkhamunsleeping »

Offline Nbodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #1396 on: July 08, 2020, 05:14:24 PM »
Baldrick lives on !!!!!!!

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #1397 on: July 08, 2020, 09:57:58 PM »
Thank you Steve for your latest post about woes with installing your signals.

It has encouraged me no end. These past two days I've been gouging, carving, drilling and generally getting myself in a sweat. Why is there always a screw head in exactly the place you want to drill a hole? Why did I suck the petrol station sign up into the hoover? ........ and various other dark thoughts.
I thought this railway modelling malarkey was supposed to be fun. Am I the only one who is struggling?

As I said mate - thanks for your post.  :D

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1398 on: July 15, 2020, 10:29:19 AM »

A week or two back the latest Windows 10 update trashed SWMBOís laptop and sheís decided itís about time she had a new one.  This has cast a long shadow over the financial affairs of The Capital Lines Railway Company, unfortunately, causing the acquisition of timber and assorted electrickery to slip somewhat :(

Iíve been continuing with the no cost catch-up jobs, such as fitting the undergubbins and a dummy coupler to this Farish pillbox brake from the Bag Of Bits Only Birds Of Prey Can See.  A coat of matt varnish should really have gone on before the first layer of weathering powders, theyíre not sticking as well to the slippery plastic as I might like.  Whereís that rattle can?

Music while I work: The Flower Kings - Retropolis

Offline Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #1399 on: July 15, 2020, 12:42:51 PM »
Steve,

We feel your pain, expenses curtailed, why is it always us who suffer.

Stay safe

Mike H   :(

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #1400 on: July 15, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
Steve,

We feel your pain, expenses curtailed, why is it always us who suffer.

Stay safe

Mike H   :(

mine is self inflicted, been buying vintage cycle parts...

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1401 on: July 15, 2020, 06:50:08 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Of course you will be bargain hunting now Steve  :D
 stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1402 on: July 16, 2020, 09:22:45 AM »

Of course you will be bargain hunting now Steve  :D

Well, Amazon came up trumps with a stonking £400 off Fiona's new MacBook Pro compared to purchasing direct from Apple, so I do have some money left under the mattress after all 8)

Having had the above photo on my screen for the last 24 hours, I quite fancy adding a few more big fish to my small Grampus pool :thumbsup:

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1403 on: July 16, 2020, 12:41:56 PM »

An arrival from Rails of Sheffield, one of the bargain Dapol 2884 class.  Looks to have taken a hammering in the cylinder/slide bar area, not sure if this is easily fixable or it needs returning for exchange :(

Music while I work: The Flower Kings - Instant Delivery

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1404 on: July 16, 2020, 12:56:28 PM »
 :(
No messing about from me - back it would go immediately. Usually if you call them they'll send you a post paid label to your e mail address, Steve.

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1405 on: July 16, 2020, 03:15:56 PM »
No messing about from me - back it would go immediately. Usually if you call them they'll send you a post paid label to your e mail address, Steve.

You're right.  Things were worse than they looked when I tried a test run so I've asked for a returns label.

After getting a particularly smooth running Grange I hope my quota of luck hasn't been used up for what is only my second Dapol kettle purchase :-\
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 03:17:05 PM by tutenkhamunsleeping »

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1406 on: July 16, 2020, 04:32:31 PM »

You're right.  Things were worse than they looked when I tried a test run so I've asked for a returns label.

After getting a particularly smooth running Grange I hope my quota of luck hasn't been used up for what is only my second Dapol kettle purchase :-\

Lovely models but shame to hear yours arrived damaged. Mine, which Iíve had for a couple of years, runs smoothly but is very very noisy!

Sadly I lost faith in Dapol locos A couple of weeks ago with my class 22 stopping dead (had about an hour of running in its entire life and is out of warranty). Appears the motor has just completely died.

When testing other models on my layout I found them to be poorer runners than Farish despite the track being new and clean (all loco pickups clean etc). Ultimately Ive decided to sell up because I fear further failures down the line. Shame because I really like their models and the company for keeping prices much lower than farish. But sadly the biggest problem is the drive mechanisms they use.

Hopefully a replacement will be sorted for you, and you get a quiet one!

Dapol if youíre reading, sort your next generation drive motors or whatever and youíll have all my custom  :thumbsup:

Offline Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #1407 on: July 16, 2020, 04:53:15 PM »

Steve,

Iíve never purchased a dapol loco yet, all on the not so good experience of others from a running quality point of view. However in this case it looks like packaging / handling damage at the factory, before Rails sold it.

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1408 on: July 17, 2020, 12:57:55 PM »

Well a pre-paid returns label has been kindly supplied by Simon at Rails, so the Dapol 2-8-0 will be on itís way back for replacement as soon as I work out the easiest way to do that without compromising our shielded status too much :goggleeyes:

Meanwhile the less bent side of the loco is seen with a pair of Collett brakes, one of which came from Rails in the same order and is AOK :thumbsup:

I was especially pleased to see that, apart from the number, it matches my original N Gauge Society release perfectly 8)

Oh no!  I've caught Greasy Wet and Rusty virus :o

Music while I work: Nazareth - Move Me

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1409 on: July 17, 2020, 01:08:25 PM »
Dan McCafferty does belt out a good toon :D

I've still got 3 x 45s of theirs

Please Support Us!