Your Top Ten Favourite Layouts

Started by Bealman, February 11, 2014, 02:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: newportnobby on August 31, 2015, 10:11:45 PM
Having seen 'Titheridge Junction' at the Leyland Show this year it has moved into my Top 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owsw1okjOpQ

@D1042 Western Princess (I know you'll appreciate this one, Greg)

:drool:  You weren't wrong NN - that's railway modelling at its best (to me anyway). I could watch a layout like that for hours.
Thanks for sharing the pleasure of seeing it.
:drool: 
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Branchie

Drem
Law Junction
Shaweport
Acton Main Line
Oxenholme

Can't think of any more at the minute!

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Branchie on September 03, 2015, 10:48:11 PM
Drem
Law Junction
Shaweport
Acton Main Line
Oxenholme

Chee Tor, Chiltern Green and Copenhagen Fields maybe?

Branchie

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on September 04, 2015, 06:43:39 AM
Quote from: Branchie on September 03, 2015, 10:48:11 PM
Drem
Law Junction
Shaweport
Acton Main Line
Oxenholme

Chee Tor, Chiltern Green and Copenhagen Fields maybe?

All fantastic models and which I can appreciate the quality of the modelling, but they don't quite fit my criteria!

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Agrippa on February 11, 2014, 10:06:59 AM

In O gauge Pete Waterman's set up. Not a great deal of scenics, but plenty of big trains thundering along.

Yes, and EVERY diesel hauled train (I've seen in pictures of the layout) has an inappropriate headcode.  OK, even BR never got it right every time (I'll never forget the time I put it up for the driver and 83, vice 38, was the result  :-[ ) but surely at least ONE train could have it right? For a former railwayman you'd have thought he could have done better in that direction.
But that bit of nit picking aside yes, he does have a great layout. Amazing what a millionaire with (virtually) unlimited room can manage compared to the rest of us isn't it?
Do I sound jealous of his good fortune? Too right I am although I accept he has worked hard for it over the years.

NeMo

One really good layout that hasn't been mentioned yet is P4 New Street. Excellent modelling of the BR blue era around Birmingham. The attention to detail is amazing, and the sense of atmosphere spot-on.

http://www.p4newstreet.com

A companion layout is being worked on, and this link gives some idea of the standards attained. Rainfall on the canal simulated with textures in the varnish, but not on the bits shadowed by bridges!

http://www.p4newstreet.com/here-comes-the-rain.html

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Newportnobby

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on September 04, 2015, 07:14:46 AM
Quote from: Agrippa on February 11, 2014, 10:06:59 AM

In O gauge Pete Waterman's set up. Not a great deal of scenics, but plenty of big trains thundering along.
Too right I am although I accept he has worked hard for it over the years.

But generally at the expense of our earholes :-X

Buzzard

OK here's some from me, in no particular order

Acton Main Line / Dragonby
Chee Tor
Stoney Lane Depot
Hedges Hill Cutting
Ring Road
Kings Park
Waton (don't think it's been mentioned elsewhere)
Littleborough (spent ages watching it at IMREX one year)
Shaweport
Kinlet Wharf
Mini MSW

and some non n gauge ones

Shirebrook-in-Emsdale - EM gauge goods yard
Leavesden - O gauge NSE (calm down Tank - deep breath in etc).  Almost wants to make one switch gauges, until you realise that a single rtr wagon can cost £75!

Oh and someone else mentioned Via Mala.  One of my favourite European layouts provided you weren't next to it at a show and had to listen to the oompah music all weekend.  The automatic uncoupling on an incline was brilliant.

Ooops more than 10, sorry.

Nigel

Buzzard

Quote from: Agrippa on February 11, 2014, 10:06:59 AMIn O gauge Pete Waterman's set up. Not a great deal of scenics, but plenty of big trains thundering along.
Was that the one photographed in great detail by one of the magazines, forgotten which one, which graphically highlighted the fact that none of the engines had any crew?  Chuckle did I.

njee20

Struggling to think of 10! Some are those which inspired me as a youngster before my 15 year hiatus from railways!

In no particular order...

Littlewood
St Denys
Acton main line
Boldon Junction
Kinlet Wharf
Smithdown Road Junction
Loftus Road
Horseley Fields
Warren Lane
Wells Green TMD

queensquare

Very flattered to have my own Highbury Colliery and Tucking Mill included in some peoples lists.

John Greenwood's Wenfordbridge and the Beattie well tanks has been mentioned. John has all three Beatties, all scratch built and for the first thirty years they ran with home made motors. Since going DCC they have been rebuilt and now have 8mm Faulhauber motors. Myself, John, Wenford and the Beatties will be at the Wadebridge show in a couple of weeks time.

The layouts that most influenced me are above all Peter Denny's Buckingham closely followed by Iain Rices Tregarick, and the East Suffolk Light that he built with Bob Barlow.
The one that first got me into N/2mm was Chiltern Green/ Luton Hoo with John Greenwood's Bodmine first convincing me to go Finescale. You can then add Chee Tor and Copenhagen Fields to the list along with John Birkett-Smith's Totnes and Ashburton.

Jerry

VonRyan

I only know a couple layouts off hand that I regard is being a favorite of mine.

1) Ley Hill
2) An Clár
3) Copenhagen Fields

Those are the only ones I have committed to memory enough where I consider them my favorites. Plus An Clár is also Irish narrow-gauge, so of course it's on my list.
Cody Wayne Fisher

Modeling: PRR during WWII, 1950s PRSL, Great Western Railway 1920-1948, Rural Ireland 3ft gauge 1940s-50s, USSR 1980s, Era III/IV East Germany, China 1990s, DPRK circa 2008.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%