!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 189294 times)

Offline steam-driven boy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16277
  • 2mm Association Number: 4524
  • Hey! I'm just this guy, y'know?
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »
Hi Michael,
Well, how did that happen? :D
Very nice rake. Now what you need is 18 201 and a double decker coach to recreate this train: click

From a quick interwebby perusal it looks like I may just have to do without on the loco - I was certain it was going to be a Continental 'kettle' that got to me - I was almost right  :o
The bi-level coach is part of the pre-ordered Minitrix 4-pack... - Oops, The Sequel :-[

Regards, Gerry  8)
...being a bear of very little brain...
Solsbury Hill Layout: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6978.0

Offline redtrain

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2014, 11:39:39 AM »

Heartily agree. I've been benefitting from these new 'realistic' pricing policy.

I would say though that the Fleischmann Eaos have not been around for that many years, so they don't really come into the category of 'old staples'.

I think it is more that have made their return on the moulding and set up costs, and  - faced with the exotic models appearing these days they won't sell many of the 'bog standard' freight wagons if they don't put a realistic price on them.

Yes I was making a more general observation than specifically singling out the Eaos. Fleischmann is not averse to selling old models at higher prices, e.g. the car transporters this year. It is noticeable though that these starter lines just happen to be of trains or wagons that others are putting out as new models. Minitrix announces an Eaos set, Fleischmann puts these out earlier - the same goes for Hobbytrain's Eanos (which are slightly different, but basically the same). Minitrix announces the DB Touristik train and Fleischmann announces an update BR103 in Touristik livery.

Not complaining, its the bog standard freight wagons I am after which generally have been difficult to get hold of.

BTW the green Swiss Lok looks smashing.

Marcus

Offline redtrain

• Awards
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2014, 06:39:14 PM »
A couple of Fleischmann 828325 Eaos 106 in brown and a couple of Fleischmann Taschenwagen with trailers. The picture turned out a little dark unfortunately

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

The Eaos 106 are the same as the red ones, nothing to add there.

At around €40 each the Taschenwagen are not the cheapest of wagons, let alone when contemplating a longer train. They looked good though - in fact they look better in real life than the catalog pictures. The trailers are not the most detailed ones on the market, some of the American ones have a lot more. However, I am not too worried about details as details tend to get broken in N.

The body is made out of metal which gives it a nice weight. Excellent smooth running.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:42:49 PM by redtrain »

Offline Brooksy

• Awards
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2014, 07:20:34 PM »
Hi Redtrain,

I can't see your pictures - just an error message: "Sorry, you are not allowed to view this file. Make sure you are connected to the server." Maybe you need to set permissions or something?

Cheers,

Brooksy

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2014, 01:52:56 PM »
I can see them Brooksy and I am further south than you....

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Brooksy

• Awards
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2014, 02:02:36 PM »
I can see them Brooksy and I am further south than you....

Maybe I'm in the bit in the middle with poor reception that no one cares about.  :'(

Actaully, seems to be working with me now too. Nice pics. Actual question: I've seen models of those wagons that take whole lorry trailers many times and think they look excellent but I've never seen one in real life. What sort of regions are they prevalent? Is the idea to get the lorries off the road and onto the rails and does it work?

Cheers,

Brooksy

Offline redtrain

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2014, 05:03:33 PM »
Brooksy,

no idea why you would not have seen the pictures initially. I did not do anything different and used the same album as before.

They are used quite a lot across Germany - mostly long distance transport (makes sense) and also over (or under the Alps), for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve_WI0C7cB4&feature=youtu.be&t=52s

Marcus

Offline Brooksy

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »
Marcus,

That's funny - they've gone again - now back home - could see them at work. Haven't a clue why - I'll raise an issue on forum problems.

Indeed it does make sense so why aren't they used more wide spread? Get a load of lorries off UK (and other) roads. Imagine getting them through the tunnel - fill up a train in Poland, Slovakia, or Hungary or wherever all these lorries seem to come from and then unload them in London/the midlands.

Cheers,

Brooksy

Offline 60156 Great Central

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: October 09, 2014, 09:19:25 AM »
Indeed it does make sense so why aren't they used more wide spread? Get a load of lorries off UK (and other) roads. Imagine getting them through the tunnel - fill up a train in Poland, Slovakia, or Hungary or wherever all these lorries seem to come from and then unload them in London/the midlands.

Cheers,

Brooksy

Can't do that it uses far too much common sense  ;) Great purchases everyone  :thumbsup:

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: October 09, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »
The second and third locos for Furtwangen 2

Hobbytrain TEE Bugelfalte E10.12 bought secondhand on the e-site.  Posed on Furtwangen Ost. No DCC interface, so will probably have to go to Douglas for chipping once my class 139 comes back.

Piko class 118, also bought on eBay- again secondhand (wheels were well mucky but no other problems).  This one has a Plux12 interface- NEM658 rather than 651, but fortunately has a decoder already in it.  Posed on Hawthorn Dene where it has been on test.

All the very best
Les

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2014, 07:53:40 PM »
Marcus,

That's funny - they've gone again - now back home - could see them at work. Haven't a clue why - I'll raise an issue on forum problems.

Cheers,

Brooksy

Just on a real world note, Europorte have outlined some plans to do this and there was a trial via HS1 to Barking. The problem is that Lorry trailers keep getting bigger whilst the UK's small loading gauge is only growing a little bit near the top corners. I have been involved over the years with  4 or 5 different ideas to carry trailers in the UK, but everytime the structure gauge gets in the way and the economics favour container based solutions. Trailer Train, Road railer, Thrall spine wagons, and two other Piggyback proposals are the ones I
recall.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline redtrain

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »

Cheers,

Brooksy

Leaving aside the UK specific issues I think ultimately its not all that economic for most. The advantages by being able to transport at night or on Sundays (for example in Germany) probably are offset by the diversions to loading/unloading facilities. Nor is it cheaper I suppose. Perhaps someone knows more.

Marcus

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2014, 10:30:33 PM »
Does anyone remember Airfix used to do a kit for a road railer I had a rake of them back in the early 60s on my OO Layout complete with a special rail section where you moved a tractor unit under the front of the wagon then moved the rail wheels up and the road wheels came down the train had an adapter wagon for the first wagon and all the other wagons hooked onto each other took a bit of weight in each wagon to get it to run but was great fun playing with them.
Bob

Offline steam-driven boy

• N Gauge Society Number: 16277
  • 2mm Association Number: 4524
  • Hey! I'm just this guy, y'know?
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: October 10, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »
Hi Bob,
Does anyone remember Airfix used to do a kit for a road railer I had a rake of them back in the early 60s on my OO Layout complete with a special rail section where you moved a tractor unit under the front of the wagon then moved the rail wheels up and the road wheels came down the train had an adapter wagon for the first wagon and all the other wagons hooked onto each other took a bit of weight in each wagon to get it to run but was great fun playing with them.
Bob

There was a six page quite detailed illustrated article by Steve Knight of the Kitmaster Collectors Club in the 2009 BRM Annual http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/british-railway-modelling-magazine-2009-annual.html
covering the '60s BR experiment, and the kits which were, according to the article, apparently by Scalecraft although possibly actually made by Airfix, and distributed by Peco!
It continues that Tri-ang produced a cruder r-t-r version for it's Minic Motorway system, and then Peco themselves were going to produce something similar for their own abortive road system that never got as far as production...
A quick 'Google' for Scalecraft Roadrailer will produce some images of the kits.

HTH, Regards, Gerry  8)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:48:11 PM by steam-driven boy, Reason: too tired to count to six! »
...being a bear of very little brain...
Solsbury Hill Layout: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6978.0

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2014, 12:09:13 PM »
Arguably neither continental nor rolling stock (although they do roll!), these arrived this morning (along with some other VW vans, more later when the vehicle that will be conveying them arrives).

At TINGS I picked up a pair of Minitrix car carriers Off 52 (see post 137), which come with some plastic cars typical of the age of the wagons... these look much better!

Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal