!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 159504 times)

Offline swisstrains

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #1140 on: May 07, 2019, 09:01:44 PM »
…………... I wonder what the eventual replacement will be like, as all good things eventually come to an end!? By comparison, how long have those little RE4/4 IIs been in service - something like 50 or so years? So maybe we'll have to wait another 20 years to see. I hope it is bespoke like the 460.

As they are going through a refurbishment project the 460's will be around for quite some time but I think they will be the last of the Swiss-built mainline locos. Unless there is a change in thinking at the SBB any future replacements are likely to be in the form of multiple units. :(
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1141 on: May 07, 2019, 10:01:22 PM »
…………... I wonder what the eventual replacement will be like, as all good things eventually come to an end!? By comparison, how long have those little RE4/4 IIs been in service - something like 50 or so years? So maybe we'll have to wait another 20 years to see. I hope it is bespoke like the 460.

As they are going through a refurbishment project the 460's will be around for quite some time but I think they will be the last of the Swiss-built mainline locos. Unless there is a change in thinking at the SBB any future replacements are likely to be in the form of multiple units. :(

Oh no that's unthinkable! :'( I know there are some multiple unit fans out there, but they don't float my boat at all. I'm not even keen on push pull units. I'm definitely a fan of loco+rake! Luckily they will always exist in model form.

As an example, I love those 1980s/90s Rhätische Bahn locos and simple carriages - there's just a charm to them that the new fancy looking EMUs can't match.

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1142 on: May 08, 2019, 06:45:40 PM »
Here’s mine Mike.  :thumbsup:
It’s been nearly three years since I was last in Switzerland and during that visit I saw BLS 465 017 in its “Pink Panther” livery virtually every day. So, when Kato announced that they intended producing a version of it, I just had to have one if only to remind me of a great holiday.
At that time the loco, together with several other 465’s, was on loan to the railCare company and was being used to haul Coop supply trains to their warehouses around Switzerland. All the on-loan 465’s carried a gemstone related livery and in the case of 465 017 it was the imaginary “Pink Panther” diamond. The locos are no longer on-loan to railCare and have been replaced by brand new Vectrons.
Although the Kato version of the 460/465 is the oldest of the three available (the others being Minitrix and Fleischmann) and was first released in the early 1990’s, it is still my favourite. It doesn’t have separate handrails and fine pantographs like the much later Fleischmann model but I think it is the best runner. I have never yet had a Kato loco that hasn’t run quietly and smoothly straight out of the box. On this version of the 465, Kato have blackened the pantographs and reduced the length of the horns no doubt in an attempt to improve their looks. Apart from that there appears to be little change externally from the locos I was buying 25 years ago although they now no longer pick out in paint the extra doorhandle on the cab doors that is a feature of the 465’s but that’s being really picky.
A couple of pics of the loco at the head of my version of a railCare distribution train and one of the real thing that I took at Biasca on the Gotthard line.

John

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #1143 on: May 08, 2019, 08:13:58 PM »
Very nice John. :thumbsup:  There are of course obvious variations between the real and the model, such as the door window, headlight size and other little details, but all in all a fair representation. I’m glad none of the model makers choose to have sticking-out wing mirrors through! Guaranteed to end up lost in points or carpets.

Like you I find the Kato version the better runner, and quieter too, and though little has changed over the years since they were first introduced, I’m happy with those I have bought, whatever ‘vintage’ they may be. I’m certain the impending delivery will be a delight and have no fears about it running well straight out of the box.

In fact I have found the 2 Kato versions I have at the moment run equally well, whilst the 3 Fleischmann’s have variable performance. My single Minitrix is a used version and though it runs well, its metal gearing makes it the noisiest. It will be some time before I can say they are all ‘run in’ fully for a true comparison, and my test track and odd temporary track set-ups (all I can muster at present) are no place for full testing re haulage capacity, gradient handling etc.

Damn! I now have to wait 12 days before I can reciprocate with a photo of ‘Mondaine’. :(
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1144 on: May 08, 2019, 09:02:40 PM »
Very nice John. :thumbsup:  There are of course obvious variations between the real and the model, such as the door window, headlight size and other little details, but all in all a fair representation. I’m glad none of the model makers choose to have sticking-out wing mirrors through! Guaranteed to end up lost in points or carpets...……………………….

Yes Mike. Fleischmann have improved on some of those small details with their version. I don't really think we can complain about the door window though...………….it just happens to be open on the real thing. :D
John

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #1145 on: May 08, 2019, 10:52:19 PM »
Doh! :doh:

Okay, so I’m a blind duck who failed to notice the closed window on the other door at the rear! Heigh Ho! :D

:beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1146 on: May 09, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
Damn! I now have to wait 12 days before I can reciprocate with a photo of ‘Mondaine’. :(

Poor you Daffy! The excitement of looking forward to a new loco is exactly the same as when we were children! How fantastic.

I've just ordered an Austrian loco, will post pics on arrival. :)

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1147 on: May 09, 2019, 02:14:15 PM »

1044?  I love those
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1148 on: May 09, 2019, 02:27:40 PM »

1044?  I love those

Almost, no it's a bit older than a 1044.

Offline carlmt

• Awards
« Reply #1149 on: May 09, 2019, 02:44:48 PM »
1041 from Arnold?

Or have you REALLY pushed the boat out and gone for a Crocodile from Jaegendorfer?????

I have the 1041 and it is a lovely loco.........but would adore a green croc!!!!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1150 on: May 09, 2019, 04:03:02 PM »
1041 from Arnold?

Or have you REALLY pushed the boat out and gone for a Crocodile from Jaegendorfer?????

I have the 1041 and it is a lovely loco.........but would adore a green croc!!!!

Very close Carl with the 1041, but no cigar I'm afraid! :no: It is Arnold though  :)

Offline carlmt

• Awards
« Reply #1151 on: May 09, 2019, 04:13:55 PM »
1042 or 4061......... I wouldnt say no to either myself!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1152 on: May 09, 2019, 04:32:27 PM »
1042 or 4061......... I wouldnt say no to either myself!

4061 - you got it!  :D

Pom pom pom pom pom, pom pom, pom pom
Pom pom pom pom pom, pom pom, pom pom....

Think I'll need to have a Schnitzel mit Pommes for dinner tonight!  :D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:36:08 PM by Globibahn »

Offline carlmt

• Awards
« Reply #1153 on: May 09, 2019, 04:57:02 PM »
There's lovely!!!!!  :beers: :beers: :heart2: :heart2:

You need a rake of Schlierens to go with that!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1154 on: May 09, 2019, 05:06:45 PM »
You need a rake of Schlierens to go with that!

Funny that's just what I was thinking, must be on the same wave-length  :D

I'll have to hold off for bank balance (or imbalance) reasons for the time being though ;D

It'll be pulling my TEN rake and Green/Maroon DB RIC rake in the meantime. Probably not very prototypical, but call me Mr Rebellious! At least it's true to Epoch.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything