!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 544933 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6465 on: November 30, 2019, 09:08:43 AM »
All my model car transporters have arrived, here, but I have not had time to photograph them or examine them closely. However, on none of them are the cars glued down. I will order my Oxford Models cars in a couple of weeks and provide a list. Eventually, I'll have a duplicate Arnold auto transporter (it's in the UK) and I'll consider which one to respray in dark blue and to add nameboards and custom transfers, next year. I have replacement GF coach wheels to attempt to replace the Lima wheels. We'll see. It's not a priority. For now, I'll go with the 'leased' DB Arnold auto transporter arranged by TOUROPA. I look forward to seeing how Chris (Weave) details his. I think I'll use plasticard for any modifications. I am very busy but should have some free time from mid-December to end of January.

The 'London' story continues but, taking place after this story is finished is the racing pigeons story which is in Martin's very capable hands. 8-)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:58:48 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #6466 on: November 30, 2019, 10:23:04 AM »
Hi Chris,

The DB Arnold car transporter leasing by Touropa is a great idea. I'll try and get the original cars off of mine and try and modify the top deck. I'll then follow suit (re the PM) and get another one next year to be experimented upon livery wise.

All good stuff and looking forward to all the stories.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6467 on: November 30, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »
Admiral Tregowan sat in his cramped little Whitehall office reading the latest reports from the field whilst he sipped his tea poured from his pot of Earl Grey with a side plate of Rich Tea biscuits. The Admiral shook his head at the persistence of the Russians. A postman persuaded to call in sick so that a known Russian sympathizer could take over his route in Chelsea for a morning, a route that took in a certain house ... A substitute for a kidnapped milkman arrested in charge of a milk float due to deliver to the same house a delivery of drugged milk, someone impersonating a gas board official with fake papers authorising him to enter the same house, a fake clergyman ostensibly collecting door to door, again in Chelsea, even kidnapped Fortum & Masons’ and Harrods’ delivery van drivers, what was the world coming to! ... Just about every possible method to gain access to that house, short, as yet, of forced entry and physical violence ... The plainclothes police and his agents stationed around the street where the target house stood were doing, as expected, a superb job. None of the targeted occupants had even known about any of these attempts. All was running exactly to plan. The KGB must be getting increasingly desperate and desperate people make mistakes ... The imminent arrival of not just the highly experienced, and very fortunately almost fully recovered, Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador but also not one but three champion Cornish boarhounds with their handler and the redoubtable Trevelver Castle Head Butler, Huw Jenkins, late of T Force, would ensure the continued security of the three adjoining houses whilst their augmented inhabitants were away at a very special restaurant that evening. The Admiral rubbed his hands with anticipation. It was a pity that he had to involve Scotland Yard and, in particular, Detective Chief Inspector Snapper …

Snapper apart, there was only one thing troubling him: on the Admiral's desk was a manila file, given the highest possible secret classification, containing the autopsy report on the KGB agent. Cross-referenced with records relating to the mysterious advisor simply referred to as the Doctor, was the hypothesis that the small impenetrable metallic globe found in the man's brain meant that he had, in fact, been a Dalek roboman. As much as the advisor was a royal pain to deal with, how the Admiral wished that the Doctor was back from distant Rockall. Instead, all he had to consult was his silly teenage granddaughter and what did she know? He sighed, munching a biscuit.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 10:54:15 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6468 on: December 01, 2019, 06:19:13 PM »
At the Chelsea townhouse, Richard was informed by Andy, via the white earbuds which they all wore, that an unknown Black Cab was rapidly approaching.

“It’s not one of ours, Richard, bringing Jeremy or Enka Lou-Lou, although the second taxi with Jeremy should be arriving soon, it’s an unknown registration plate.”

“Thank you, Andy; I’ll alert everyone to be ready.”

Richard placed the whistle, hanging on a dark blue lanyard around his neck, to his lips and gave three short blasts. Immediately, the three young men got up and took up their weapons from the corners of the room. Meanwhile, Sophie, her semi-automatic rifle slung across one shapely shoulder, started ushering the young women upstairs like a hen with her chicks and into one of the rear bedrooms.

“Keep any lights off,” ordered Richard. “Positions everyone!”

“We will do what is ordered and at every command we will be ready!” chorused the three men plus Sophie via the white earbuds.

“Wait a minute, Richard,” called Susan her hands on her hips, refusing to follow her friends. “I think I know who it might be. He’ll be expecting me not, several heavily armed men!”

“Jim, Phil, you’ll be guarding Susan, then! Tom, upstairs with Sophie and the girls, at the double! Are you sure, Susan?”

“Yes, Richard. I am,” she stated firmly.

“Okay, we’ll see. Jim, Phil, you go to the front door. Susan you wait here with me. Jim, when anyone rings the doorbell, you open it, covered by Phil. I’ll cover you from the nearest front window.”

So saying, Richard, slowly and quietly pushed up the sash window a crack until he could rest the muzzle of his lightweight semi-automatic rifle on the sill and peer out from the corner into the late afternoon light. Sighing, Susan crouched down beside him with her pale grey eyes focussed to the right and downwards.

The taxi drew up and a tall, elegant man with short dark hair got out carrying a large carrier bag printed with a stylised black daisy and walked briskly up the steps to the front door.

“Ah,” she whispered, “just as I expected. Don’t worry, Richard. I know who that is.”

“Who?” he replied tensely.

“Alexander Plunket Greene, of course!” she smiled.

“Who?” asked Richard, again, as the doorbell began ringing.

“Mary Quant’s husband! Together with their friend Archie McNair, he and Mary opened ‘BAZAAR’ back in 1955.”

“Oh, you mean that fashion boutique on the King's Road?”

The doorbell rang, again, more insistently.

“Yes. Now, tell Jim to let me open the door to him, please, Richard. I can see that he’s carrying something for me. Don’t worry. I won’t invite him in.”

Without waiting for his answer, Susan got up and walked into the entrance hall where Jim and Phil stood, semi-automatic pistols at the ready, just behind the door, Jim staring through the tiny glass peephole that Sylvia’s mother had insisted be fitted when the ‘Girls’ moved in.

“You won’t be needing those,” stated Susan, quietly but firmly, pointing at their pistols, “it’s Alexander bringing something I ordered from his wife, Mary Quant. Nothing to worry about, I assure you!”

“He’s alone,” called Richard over the sound of the doorbell being rung increasingly impatiently.

“Shall I open the door, then, Richard?”

“Yes, Jim. Keep Susan and Jim covered, Phil.”

“Understood,” they both replied via the white earbuds.

Swiftly slipping past Phil and in front of Jim to half open the door, Susan smiled broadly at the tall, handsome man revealed standing there, bag in hand, and said:
“Good evening, Alexander, that’s very kind of you to bring them.”

“Good evening, Susan”, he beamed, taking her in from head to toe as they shook hands. “I was beginning to think there was no-one at home! Here you are, my gal.” He handed over the large carrier bag then briefly paused still studying her expectantly before announcing, “Mary sends her best. Must be off, I’m late.”

And he was gone, bounding down the steps and, with a brief backwards wave, into the waiting taxi which sped off.

“Poor, Mary”, sighed Susan, as she carried her unopened bag past Phil and Jim, along the hall and up the stairs. “Alexander’s such fun to be with but a notorious womaniser, just like his father, Mary says. He’s very probably off to see one of his ‘playmates’, now.”

“False alarm,” announced Richard via the white earbuds. “Code Amber. You can bring the girls safely down, Sophie.”

Susan bounded up the stairs past Sophie and some of the other girls descending and into the bedroom she now shared with Sylvie and Ellie, firmly locking the door behind her.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6469 on: December 01, 2019, 07:16:54 PM »
Alan Poldory had never liked jellied eels and had got, literally, very fed up of meat pies, but living above a pie and eels shop, as he currently did, he had no other choice if he was not to venture out on the streets and he had received very strict instructions from the twins, via one of the minor gang members who acted as their surly messenger, not to do so under any circumstances. Then there was the money he had pocketed from the dead Russian known to him as Mr. Smith ... In his barely furnished flat, there was not a single safe hiding place for the banknotes, search as Alan could. He knew better than to spend any of them carelessly and ostentatiously, so they remained virtually untouched distributed about him. Poldory wished that he still had his poacher’s coat with its secret pockets. But more than that, he wished he could have a Cornish pasty; ideally, a freshly made extra large one from the North Cornwall Pasty Co. in Penmayne. In fact, he had to admit to himself, he wished that he was back in North Cornwall instead of stuck in East London confined to a dingy upstairs flat, awaiting orders from people he didn't trust and who didn't trust him. At least, Alan consoled himself, there had been no mention of, nor contact from, the Russians. Didn't they know of the horrific death of their agent at Taunton station and the loss of whatever that valuable reddish-gold something had been in the agent's oblong black briefcase?

Alan Poldory could not believe his luck. He had escaped, again. But he deserved it. As the cab pulled up outside the long since closed pie and eel shop and he opened the side door that led to the steps up to his flat he decided that, after a few hours rest, he'd be off.

"He awoke, after a fitful few hours' sleep at 5.30 and quickly gathered up some brown paper, string and some sheets of old newspaper he'd found in a kitchen drawer. It was the best solution he could think of.

His mind was made up, he’d had enough of London.....he’d catch the 7.30 train to Penzance from Paddington but he didn’t want to travel with all the money from the dead Russian on him. He decided to parcel up the notes and post them off to his old address in Tregonning, Cornwall. His friend still lived there but Poldory would be home ahead of the parcel. It was a risk, but a risk worth taking. If someone spotted him with all that money, he’d lose the lot.
Unfortunately, having carefully parcelled up the money, Poldory suddenly realised that he’d left himself with just a single pound note, a few shillings and some coppers. Not enough money to buy a ticket to Cornwall.
“No problem”, he mused, “I’ll buy a ticket to Reading and simply stay on the train”.
Fully aware that it was relatively easy to avoid the ticket inspector and knowing he could get off at Redruth where he could hop over the fence, he set off, on foot, for the station.
Poldory set off for the station, posting his parcel on the way.
Arriving at Paddington and having bought his ticket for Reading, which allowed him access to the platform, Poldory boarded the train, finding a compartment right next door to the toilet.
At precisely 07.55, 7025, Sudeley Castle, set off with its 10 coach train.
Alan Poldory, settled into his seat. He had no worries at all until Reading. Thereafter, he had to be very careful in order to avoid the ticket inspector.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:21:31 AM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #6470 on: December 01, 2019, 07:27:56 PM »
It's all getting very Paul Temple-esque.  I can even hear the Coronation Scot rushing past.  Oh, and by the way, there's a West Country connection.  Vivian Ellis, the composer, stated that the rythm of the music was generated by his trips between Taunton and Paddington.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6471 on: December 01, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »
 :hellosign:
   Many thanks Chris & Martin, I personally hope Poldory gets a swift boot up the backside well before Cornwall & loses all his ill gotten gains   >:D
     regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6472 on: December 01, 2019, 10:12:23 PM »
Thanks, Derek. Actually, I miscommunicated with Martin and have asked him to make a slight adjustment to the above text (now done, thanks, Martin). The events Martin is writing about actually take place after "Esmerelda’s Barn", a nightclub in London’s Knightsbridge, which has still to come, after the evening in the ‘Cafe Daquise’, a famous Polish Restaurant, near South Kensington Tube. You'll see why Alan Poldory is able to return to North Cornwall, later, here and then what he then does on Martin's pages. 8-)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:36:27 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6473 on: December 02, 2019, 10:20:30 AM »
“What’s Susan up to, Sylvi?” asked Eli as they returned to their house’s living room.

“I don’t know but she was carrying a large Mary Quant bag, so I guess that she is trying on a new dress for this evening. Which reminds me, you and I should be getting ready if we’re to be ready for 7.30!”

“Yes, but we don't need as much time as Sofi who is already busy in her room trying, as usual, to decide what to wear, Sylvi!”

“Well,” smiled her friend, “It seems she has especial reasons to want to look her best  this evening!”

“Yes, indeed,” Eli laughed.

Their conversation was then interrupted by the announcement, via their earbuds, that one of the pair of special taxis was approaching and its passenger was ... Jeremy!”

Sylvia and Eli rushed to the front door accompanied by Jim and Phil who warned them to stay inside until the taxi had pulled up. Richard announced that it was, indeed, Jeremy getting out, to Sylvia’s very vocal delight.

At last, Jeremy, looking pale and thin, according to Richard’s commentary in their ears, was walking up the steps. Smiling, Jim opened the door as Phil followed behind Eli with Sylvia in the lead rushing to hug and kiss Jeremy with tears of pure happiness flowing down her glowing cheeks.

“My, my, Sylvi; it’s almost as bad as being soaked in sea spray in a winter gale!”

Holding him at arm’s length, Sylvia studied him with very evident concern whilst Eli kissed Jeremy on both cheeks before similarly critically studying him.

“Don't worry, girls. I look much worse than I feel! It's wonderful to be up on my feet, again, and, of course, to see you both, again, but ... especially you, Sylvi!” So saying, he held her-tear streaked face in both his strong hands and kissed her long and hard.

There was a loud cough from behind them then Jim stated that they really should be getting indoors. “What will the neighbours say!” he tutted.

“I do NOT care!” responded Sylvi when she could breathe again. “But, yes, alright.”

“I know just what to cook for you to build you up, Jeremy,” stated Eli behind them. “A good, nourishing Breton white bean soup. You will, I know,” she grinned mischievously, “very soon be needing ALL your energy!”

No sooner had they all moved inside to the living room when, over their earbuds, came the announcement from Andy up on the roof that the second of the secure taxis was about to pull up with Enka Lou Lou having collected her from Heathrow airport and that help carrying her luggage and equipment was required. Richard instructed Jim and Phil to take care of this while he remained on guard.

Soon Enka and her belongings were stacked in the entrance hall and she was being enthusiastically greeted by the ‘Girls' then introduced to their well-armed protectors.
“Dear Enka, it’s so good that you could join us,” beamed Eli after they had hugged as Sylvia was already deep in conversation with Jeremy.

“Mmm, I did not have much choice according to my manager, Eli. He said that the police have stated that, for my personal safety, I needed to be in this ‘safe house’ until they confirmed that a very serious threat to us all was over!”

“Come, I’ll show you to your room and where to freshen up, Enka. Whilst you’re in the bathroom, the boys will bring your things up, then it will be time to change and get ready to leave.”

“Sounds good, Eli. Whilst we change you can tell me what on earth is going on!”

“Of course, Enka. I'll get my things from the bedroom I share with Sylvia and Susan.”

“That reminds me, Eli, where is Susan?”

“Busy getting changed, ready for the evening, I think, Enka, and so should we!”
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 10:25:38 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6474 on: December 03, 2019, 08:36:03 PM »
The Yorkshire pigeon special called at Cant Cove on its way to its final destination, Penmayne, behind 4575 No. 5530 preserved (withdrawn from 82A Bristol Bath Road in January 1960) [to become 5531 (83E, St. Blazey)]. The train is formed of an ER Gresley design BGP pigeon van and an ER BR Standard BCK for the Federation officials, called convoyers, the axleboxes of the BCK having been repaired at Newquay.

[It was beautifully made for me by Tony from the N Gauge Society Kit 30 Gresley Full Brake D113 / 245 / 260 and is being used to carry baskets of racing pigeons.]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:42:38 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #6475 on: December 03, 2019, 08:48:12 PM »
Will we get to see a picture of all the pigeons being released?

I was only asking!  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6476 on: December 03, 2019, 09:34:55 PM »
Will we get to see a picture of all the pigeons being released?

I was only asking!  ;)

Fiding some 2MM Scale pigeon baskets would be nice! 8-)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6477 on: December 03, 2019, 09:40:56 PM »
Outside the Chelsea townhouse, Richard was informed by Andy, via the white earbuds, that a BR Crimson and Cream Ford 400E van was rapidly approaching.

“It should be Giles, Richard, with Trevelver Castle’s Head Butler, Huw Jenkins, and ‘Young Bill’ with the three boarhounds; it’s a known registration plate.”

“Thank you, Andy; I’ll alert everyone to be ready, just in case, though.”

Once more, Richard gave three short blasts on his whistle and, again, the three young men took up their weapons from the corners of the room and hurried to their defensive positions. Sophie, her semi-automatic rifle still slung across her shoulder, hurried upstairs where the young women were already preparing themselves for the evening in their various bedrooms.

“Keep any lights off,” reminded Richard as he instructed his team to take up their positions.

“We will do what is ordered and at every command, we will be ready!” chorused the three men plus Sophie via the white earbuds.

“Portreath Ralph, Richard,” announced Giles over the earbuds as the van drew up outside.

“Giant Wrath’s Cupboard, Giles,” came the passphrase response. “You’re back just in time! You’ll have to change in record time!”

“Code Amber, team. As soon as they’re ready you can bring the girls safely down, Sophie. Both cabs are outside and ready. Jim, you can open the door, it’s Richard and his party. Keep them covered, Phil.”

“Don’t worry, Richard,” replied Giles as he entered the hall. “I’ll have enough time as Sophie and I won’t be joining you in the ‘Cafe Daquise’ until after you lot have all safely arrived! I have to wait for our two Black Cabs to deliver you all before collecting not only Catala Valdez and her friend, Christian – who should have been coming, here, later this afternoon – from their hotel, but also Fermin Muguruza and his Canadian friend, Rae Anne, along with her two Californian young female backpacker friends, Amy and Lana, from their youth hostel.”

“Quite a party, Giles, to protect. Trust Catala to be late, but I’m surprised about Christian.”

“Don’t worry, Richard. I know all about Christian while Catala’s reputation goes before her! Now, let’s show Huw and ‘Young Bill’ around then they can get Charon, Scylla, and Charybdis settled in and then we can get ready, you first, though, as you’ll be leaving, very soon!”
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:04:57 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #6478 on: December 04, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
Fiding some 2MM Scale pigeon baskets would be nice! 8-)

3d printer to alert 5 ;)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42%