!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 489250 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5610 on: January 11, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »
Thank you, Derek. I have more pictures to share and plan to continue the stories, soon.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5611 on: January 13, 2019, 02:04:43 PM »
Photos. of the return journey of Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador RN and his detachment of RN engineers, via Wadebridge, Halwill Junction, and Okehampton (for security reasons), to Plymouth RN hauled by BRC&W Co. Type 3 D6571 and, then behind a Canton (86A) "Hymek", to Cardiff and Torchwood were embargoed for years. However, those who have signed an agreement to adhere to Section 2 - Wrongful communication, &c. of information, under the UK Official Secrets Act 1911, have been allowed to view the following colour photos. which include the top-secret unmarked RN Blue Container and Vans containing the RN and Torchwood alien technology equipment being returned for safekeeping in front of the coaches conveying the RN personnel. BR SR (Southwest Division) SWD provided BR Standard BR Crimson & Cream 3-set 567 [still pictured in this early BR livery in 1963], BSK-CK-BSK running numbers S34982, S15895, S34983 [awaiting renumbering and Set nos.]).

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:05:57 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5612 on: January 13, 2019, 03:59:31 PM »
Thanks for those photos Chris. Good to see the blue RN vans get an outing.
It might be me but I’ve read that first sentence a few times and not sure I follow, even if embarged become embargoed.  :)

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5613 on: January 13, 2019, 04:08:29 PM »
Thanks for those photos, Chris. Good to see the blue RN vans get an outing.
It might be me but I’ve read that first sentence a few times and not sure I follow, even if embarged become embargoed.  :)

Thanks, Martin. The text has been corrected and, I hope, now makes more sense. I'm changing over to a new notebook PC as this one has keys which don't work, o being one!

I left a couple of vans plus the open Extra-LWB wagons out of the photos, as well as the RN road vehicles which are boxed away somewhere!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:21:27 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #5614 on: January 14, 2019, 12:12:43 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:  Thanks Chris all looking excellent.
      regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5615 on: January 14, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »
One of the most eagerly awaited pre-Christmas trains is the Trevelver Castle Drinks Special, or the 'booze express', formed of continental ferry wagons brought over via the Britanny-Cornwall (via the West Porthsea Quay - Regleun train ferry) service. Worked from West Porthsea by BRC&W Co. Type 3 D6571, the train picks up various UK vans on its way from both BR WR and BR SR services.

Here is the Type 3 near the end of the headshunt.

Immediately behind the loco. is the Continental stock.

No"Grolsch" this time!

Then the UK vans.

Some of the UK beer vans had been worked via the S&D to Templecombe, being seen at Withy Junction and Durscombe earlier.

The last van is, in fact, a "Terry's of York" van conveying a choice selection of chocolates most favoured by all at the Castle. Unusually, one of the ex-SR 20-ton brake vans used on the Trepol Bay harbour line incline, was added at Wadebridge to ensure enough braking power on the next goods train making the return journey from the cellar cave sidings under Trevelver Castle down to Cant Cove.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:33:27 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5616 on: January 14, 2019, 07:37:15 PM »
A local enthusiast, upon hearing news of the impending arrival of the “Booze Express” at Trepol Bay, where a couple of additional wagons were attached, cycled as fast as he could from home to capture the moment.
Unfortunately he arrived just too late, just catching the rear portion of the train as it passed under the road bridge on the way to Wadebridge and Cant Cove.
4BC93574-051D-4C37-A3A2-C829741C198B by martin scane, on Flickr

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5617 on: January 14, 2019, 07:54:05 PM »
Excellent, Martin. Many thanks for your quick response. I hope that you'll have a "Dubonnet" Ferry tank wagon, soon. The other vans can have arrived at Wadebridge via a different service. 8-)

Next year, I must add a "Grolsch" van.

I have at least one spare FS "Interfrigo" Refrigerated Ferry Van and hope, for myself, to soon have a "MIGROS" fruit and vegetables van, soon.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5618 on: January 16, 2019, 12:51:07 PM »
In the run-up to Christmas 1962, there was a very noticeable increase in goods trains as everyone hurried to lay in supplies for the severe winter weather to come. This required much co-operation between BR SR and BR WR as well as the various local branches of the CLPG and GWS. A particularly long and heavy goods train bound for the cellars of Trevelver Castle, at the end of the Castle Branch, required the addition of a local M7 in front of the local 74xx pannier tank, 7446 (83E).

CLPG volunteers have repainted an ex-Wadebridge SWB 'Toad B' brake van in "Castle Estates" light blue livery.

The first van is a Continental Ferry Van, a FS fruit van full of Christmas oranges.

Then comes a 'Tarpaulin' wagon, in the red Timber Merchant's livery, from Port Perran, full of timber for repairs within the Castle; followed by a BR 'Furniture' container with furniture and the household items borrowed from the Trevelvers' Chelsea townhouse.

Then a 'Tube' wagon with more precut timber and steel sections for the repair work, loaded at Trepol Bay; and a "Headland Brewery" van, also loaded at Trepl Bay.

These are followed by a single vent van in the dark green livery of Messrs Prisk & Jones (Fruit & Vegetable Wholesalers), Trepol Bay; a loaded 7-plank wagon in the purple-red livery of the "Creech Brewery", Somerset;

Then comes another single vent van in the apple green livery of "Sam's Cider", Somerset; and a light blue insulated van in "Castle Estates" light blue.

These are followed by an Extra-LWB Pallet Van in BR Brown full of Christmas trees, ivy, and mistletoe donated by Sir Horace Speakman Court and wife Lady Alice, of Withy House, Somerset; and an ancient LMS van in BR Brown livery, as a barrier van.

Behind the barrier van is a silver ESSO tanker with fuel supplies; then one of the ex-SR 20-ton brake vans used on the Trepol Bay harbour line incline, to ensure enough braking power on the next goods train making the return journey from the cellar cave sidings under Trevelver Castle down to Cant Cove.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:47:50 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5619 on: January 16, 2019, 01:20:38 PM »
Thanks for the photos Chris.  There are a couple of additional icons saying 'Click for Photos' which, when clicked, both seem to contain all your photos, which is a bit strange.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5620 on: January 16, 2019, 05:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the photos Chris.  There are a couple of additional icons saying 'Click for Photos' which, when clicked, both seem to contain all your photos, which is a bit strange.

Thanks, Laurence. That is a mystery as I do not see these icons.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5621 on: January 16, 2019, 05:44:41 PM »
Thank you for the phtos Chris.
I too get two icons saying “Click for photos” but on clicking, for me, nothing appears.
It’s the 1st and 3rd photos which I can’t see.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5622 on: January 16, 2019, 06:50:51 PM »
Thank you for the phtos Chris.
I too get two icons saying “Click for photos” but on clicking, for me, nothing appears.
It’s the 1st and 3rd photos which I can’t see.

Thanks, Martin. I have reloaded the photos. I hope all is now, OK?

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5623 on: January 16, 2019, 06:51:58 PM »
Looks fine now.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #5624 on: January 16, 2019, 06:53:44 PM »
Hi Chris,

As I was replying to say the same as Martin the missing pics appeared.

So, thank you for them. I have probs with Laurence's pics as well where you have to go out and then back in again. Could be the same sort of thing.

I dunno.

Cheers (Chris) weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here