!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 617552 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5595 on: January 05, 2019, 07:43:35 PM »
Instructed by Lady Trevelver to ensure that the Castle had a minimum of two months' of supplies of food and drink, including enough for the extra guests over the Christmas and New Year period, just like other organisations, the Castle has been ordering extra supplies by rail. Although negotiations have yet to be concluded with "Express Dairies" over supplies of fresh Devon eggs, alerted by their Devonshire friends, Lord and Lady Churston of Churston Manor, Devon, who were accompanied by the illustrious author and philanthropist Dame Anita Crystal, the Trevelvers have agreed that three van loads will be added to what the local railwaymen are calling the "Castle Breakfast Special" as the train, which came up from Wadebridge, formed of portions from Trepol Bay, behind an M7, and Bodmin Road, behind a 45xx, not only includes eggs and sausages but also an insulated van of best bacon from a pig farmer at Port Perran.

Unusually, one of the ex-SR 20-ton brake vans used on the Trepol Bay harbour line incline, was added at Wadebridge to ensure enough braking power on the next goods train making the return journey down to Cant Cove.

As the train is too long for Cant Cove's short headshunt, 7446 (83E) has to remove the long brake van.

Cant Cove's Drewry 204 bhp diesel shunter, D2290 (delivered new, 06/05/1960, to Guildford, which had been lent to Wadebridge (72F) for evaluation and also spends time as yard pilot at Trepol Bay Harbour), with its Conflat runner wagon, then coupled to the front of the train and pulled it clear of the headshunt.

No. 7446 could then position the 20t brake van to be added to the end of the train and then bank the heavy train up the incline.

The Drewry then halted at the open level crossing. The runner poses less of a collision risk, not that the Penmayne Road is busy in December, 1962.

Viewers may have noticed, in the background, the CLPG stores van which has been jacked up to enable repairs to the suspension on one side.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 12:18:57 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5596 on: January 06, 2019, 08:46:45 AM »
Thanks for those latest photos Chris.
I think that here is an erroneous mistake part way through with a reference to the short headshunt at Trepol Bay ?
Those egg vans do look good paired with the Palethorpes siphon.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #5597 on: January 06, 2019, 09:15:09 AM »
Excellent photographs, thank you, Chris.

'Alternative Cornwall' is certainly a marvellous concept for the participating model railways.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5598 on: January 06, 2019, 09:58:13 AM »
Thanks for those latest photos Chris.
I think that here is an erroneous mistake part way through with a reference to the short headshunt at Trepol Bay ?
Those egg vans do look good paired with the Palethorpes siphon.

Thanks, Martin. Yes, well spotted. I've corrected it to read Cant Cove. I'm changing notebook PCs and am not good at multi-tasking!

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5599 on: January 06, 2019, 10:10:57 AM »
Excellent photographs, thank you, Chris.

'Alternative Cornwall' is certainly a marvellous concept for the participating model railways.

John

Thanks, John. I agree and all kudos go to Martin for beginning it. It is now 'Alternative West Country' as we have Devon and Somerset, too. Specifically, Brian (Mito's S&D Durscombe and Withy Junction) plus, now, the Brixham area, thanks to Martin's friend, Dizz, (Pete in Portreath) . . . sections of Mainline from Redruth to Teignmouth including the Churston to Brixham branch (not necessarily in the correct geographical order]. This adds considerably to the already long list of characters, companies, and associated PO liveries. Also, there is Laurence's Marton Hinmarche, plus Andrew's Perthshire, plus various countries, towns and principalities (some also 'alternative') via Chris (Weave) which are also linked. Just keeping the timelines clear is a task for a Timelord President! I will try to conclude at least one storyline, today. If it is in the right time zone, there is also the possibility of D6326 with suitable rolling stock, working 'through'; my Union Mills locos. all have different identities and are modified by Gideon, though, even "City of Truro" which will carry its BR number.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:20:41 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5600 on: January 06, 2019, 11:15:03 AM »
I could have used a Graham Farish 10 TON BR MEAT VAN BR BAUXITE EARLY or LATE for the bacon shipment from the Port Perran pig farmer but was not sure if Martin had one, whilst I know that Martin has the BR Insulated Vans in both BR White and the later (post-1963) Ice Blue liveries: 373-725A 10-TON INSULATED BOX VAN PLANKED SIDES WHITE and 373-727 10-TON INSULATED BOX VAN BR ICE BLUE (I do, too).

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5601 on: January 06, 2019, 04:31:39 PM »
Meanwhile, back at Reading General station . . .

“Don’t worry, Miss Marielle”, Jose Maria de La Vega exclaimed. “Leave this to me.” So, saying he strode over to the departing porter who immediately halted as the mayor of Sant Cristofol quietly began speaking with him whilst gesticulating animatedly to the departing coach and his forlorn looking friends. They then shook hands, firmly, after Fermin thought he had seen Jose Maria quickly transfer something folded from an inner coat pocket. The porter touched his cap, nodded briskly then called to a younger colleague to take over the trolley with their luggage whilst he rushed to the stationmaster’s office. The older porter quickly returned with the stationmaster who instructed the waiting young porter to take them and their luggage over to the platform where the Oxford train now stood.

“Seeing as who you are, I hope you won’t mind travelling in the goods lift rather than through the pedestrian subway, but it’ll be quicker this way,” the stationmaster explained after quick introductions had been made, “whilst I go to order the Oxford train guard not to depart until you’re all safely aboard!” As they hurried after the junior porter, Fermin thought he saw a look of surprise on the face of an olive-skinned man wearing a long dark overcoat and a black hat with its brow pulled down low who, throwing down his broadsheet newspaper, quickly rose from a station bench and then hesitated as if unsure which direction to take.

The steam loco., which Fermin noted, as he glanced around them, was 7816 "Frilsham Manor", had already uncoupled from their chocolate and cream liveried coach which stood attached behind a dark green 3-car diesel multiple unit to the surprise of the local passengers. The guard was pointedly looking at his pocket watch as he talked with the breathless stationmaster when the junior railwayman rushed out of the luggage lift and onto the platform, closely followed by Jose Maria and his party. Soon they and their luggage were safely aboard their carriage, again. Fermin, the last to board, was relieved to see that there was no sign of the man in the dark coat and hat on their train’s platform. As soon as the young Basque was aboard, the door was slammed shut, the guard waved his green flag and blew his whistle and, with a rising growl of its four 150hp diesel engines, the diesel unit accelerated out of the station and on its short journey to Oxford.

Well, my friends, here we are, back on track, as it were,” laughed Jose Maria. “If only we had glasses, it would be time for another sol y sombra, yes?”

They all laughed as the train continued to accelerate, the noise of the rising power of the diesel engines clearly audible in their compartment.

“I’m so sorry, everyone”, Marielle apologised, “for such an unforgiveable mixing-up.”

“Don’t worry, Miss Marielle, we were all too excited by the re-appearance of this lovable rogue, here,” Jose Marie grinned at Fermin.

“But, just what was it that you said to the porter, to get the stationmaster to help us so quickly?” asked Catala.

“Now, you can see why he keeps being re-elected Mayor of Sant Cristofol,” grinned Pedru.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:47:54 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5602 on: January 06, 2019, 04:32:52 PM »
What did Jose Marie say?

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5603 on: January 07, 2019, 07:43:33 PM »
What did Jose Marie say?
I don’t know but I guess he made it worh his while.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #5604 on: January 07, 2019, 08:14:56 PM »
What did Jose Marie say?
I don’t know but I guess he made it worh his while.

"It is I, Leclerc!"

No, wait, wrong series :D

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5605 on: January 07, 2019, 08:51:12 PM »
"You stupid boy".  Hang on, another wrong series!  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #5606 on: January 08, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »
Spotted on the Sea Wall between Dawlish and Teignmouth earlier today, Stowe Grange was on a goods service to South Devon.  Leading were 6 empty Castor and Furzeham Fish Insulated vans (in their brand new livery fresh from the Sharkham Wagon Works) destined for Brixham.  Then 3 egg vans previously seen working through North Cornwall and finally 6 open wagons heading down from Trumpton.

Luckily Sam Gibson was visiting one of his holiday properties near Parsons Tunnel and managed to capture the new fish vans passing on his new Kodachrome 8mm cine camera:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5607 on: January 09, 2019, 05:00:09 AM »
Many thanks, Pete. Good to see the Devon Eggs vans on their way to Cornwall along with the very attractive 15ft. Extra-Long Wheelbase fish vans.

George Enderby is the shy engineering genius who came up with the original design concept for the 15ft. Extra-Long Wheelbase goods stock which is proving such a success on the West Country "Fast Freight Network" (the now unknown, outside the SW, predecessor to BR's much later "Speedlink" concept). What is known is that he was one of the very best apprentices at Swindon Works rapidly rising to be a key member of the team that developed the excellent B4 passenger coach bogie before such Research and Development work was, to very considerable local disgust, taken away from Swindon and centralised at BR's new Derby Research Centre. He had also been involved in research into the rail-wheel interface prompted by the discovery that SWB goods stock derailed at anything above moderate speeds on Continuously Welded Rails (CWR). However, rather than move to Derby, he took early retirement back to his home town of Trepol Bay where he became the highly respected General Manager of the local Wagon Works. A regular of Trepol Bay's renowned "Station Hotel" where he sits at his reserved corner table doing the most difficult newspaper crosswords (rumour is that he also composes some) he became friendly with the "Castle Estates" top salesman, Brandon Williams, who makes it his business to know everyone and everything of interest. Brandon, in turn, introduced him to Marrek Prowse, the General Manager of the "Castle Estates", who then recommended him to the Alliance for Cornwall's Railways (ACR) where he came up with the design of the advanced, high-capacity Extra-Long Wheelbase goods stock. As BR proved uninterested (the "Not Invented Here" syndrome), the ACR contracted several firms of private wagon constructors to produce them.

As mentioned already, he is a regular at the "Station Hotel", Trepol Bay, sometimes sitting at the corner of the bar quietly chatting to the landlord and his wife [Martin knows their names] or pondering over his favourite "Times" crossword and nursing a pint of his favoured summer tipple of Headland Brewery "Summer Lightning".

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5608 on: January 09, 2019, 02:48:21 PM »
Photos. from the pre-Christmas (and pre-snow) trains are slowly being developed and printed for Cant Cove's official photographer, John Prynne, Chief Accountant of the "Castle Estates".

Meanwhile, the reporter for the "Cant Cove Courier & Penmayne Post" has been reprimanded for not printing the correct details about the sausages in the BR White Insulated Van posted recently. They are, in fact, produced by Walter John, the renowned and highly respected Cornish sausage manufacturer based in Blackwater near Truro and had travelled up from Truro via Port Perran to Wadebridge.

Here 7446 (83E) departs for Wadebridge with a short transfer goods; some of the wagons, with others, will go forward in another goods train to Trepol Bay and Port Perran.

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5609 on: January 10, 2019, 10:10:50 PM »
 :hellosign:. Catching up with all the latest  :greatpicturessign: & the latest story updates , Many thanks Chris.
     regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal