!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 545766 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5085 on: August 15, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »
When finished, that's going to look rather nice. The effort put into it shows.

Thanks, Brian. The P&D Marsh one, which I've ordered for Cant Cove, should be rather easier to get to fit together properly.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5086 on: August 15, 2018, 09:52:25 PM »

The best close-up I could do, this morning, before more painting.

I think you deliberately took an out of focus picture so we can't see any 'treasure chests'!  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5087 on: August 16, 2018, 01:56:40 PM »
Hi, it's taken some time for those of us in the Old Cobblers, Hangover Ln, Milliedale on Sea to catch up with the goings on in Cornwall, we are about 15 years behind you in 1962!  :D

Thoroughly enjoyed the adventures of the Chelsea Girls as the information has fallen through a schism in time back to us, the layout looks amazing having seen it develop over the past couple of weeks of reading.

The mermaids look similar to our resident one, the difference between Cornish and Lancashire mermaids, except ours have red hair and wear a top to cope with the chill of Morecambe bay!

One thing I do wish to ask, how are the cliffs done? I understand it's plaster and tinfoil, is this tinfoil pressed into the plaster to shape it and then removed, or is the tinfoil plastered over somehow?

:thankyousign:

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #5088 on: August 16, 2018, 04:58:14 PM »
Some nice progress Chris, like the fencing and the painting on the compressor, mermaids and forklift is up to your usual standards.  Was good to see the engine shed again, been a long time since it made an appearance :)  :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5089 on: August 16, 2018, 08:23:53 PM »

The best close-up I could do, this morning, before more painting.

I think you deliberately took an out of focus picture so we can't see any 'treasure chests'!  ;)

I did try to get a close-up shot, honest. 8-)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5090 on: August 16, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
Hi, it's taken some time for those of us in the Old Cobblers, Hangover Ln, Milliedale on Sea to catch up with the goings on in Cornwall, we are about 15 years behind you in 1962!  :D

Thoroughly enjoyed the adventures of the Chelsea Girls as the information has fallen through a schism in time back to us, the layout looks amazing having seen it develop over the past couple of weeks of reading.

The mermaids look similar to our resident one, the difference between Cornish and Lancashire mermaids, except ours have red hair and wear a top to cope with the chill of Morecambe Bay!

One thing I do wish to ask, how are the cliffs done? I understand it's plaster and tinfoil, is this tinfoil pressed into the plaster to shape it and then removed, or is the tinfoil plastered over somehow?

:thankyousign:

Thank you, for your nice comments. A red-haired mermaid would be an interesting one to model. I'd have to mix a special auburn red colour, though! Cornish mermaids like to sunbath, topless! 8-)

Yes, the cliffs were all made following a method explained in the construction of a lovely (00) model of a North Cornwall Railway rural station. I used sandless tile grout instead of plaster though:

"Double thickness of aluminium foil screwed up and then teased out until flatish but still crinkly. This was offered up to the cutting and formed into the rough shape needed. Next sloppy plaster (with grey colouring in) was poured into the horizontal foil 'mould' and left to set. The set plaster (still attached to the foil was attached to the cutting side with PVA glue and left to dry. Then the foil was carefully removed from the rock face. Lots of air holes and missing bits to sort out. These were filled using leftover bits form the original mould that had been cut off from elsewhere and small bits of filler."

My method is simpler. I applied the tile grout (it should be the consistency of thick cream) to the area (make sure the surface is roughened) then offered up the screwed up and then teased out until flatish but still crinkly aluminium foil to the grout and gently pushed (without flattening) the foil into the grout then left it to dry completely. Then, gently, peel off the foil from the rock face. I did not suffer from any air holes but did suffer from the occasional missing bit. Either surplus pieces were glued in place or a dab of tile grout was used. When dry it can be further gently shaped with a knife, file or sandpaper. Spraypaint semi-gloss dark grey to seal it then, when dry, matt dark or light grey, or whatever base colour your local rocks are. When dry, then dry brush with shades of gry, brown, red, etc. to suit. Finally, you can add clumps of vegetation, scatter, and static grass. It's best to have a large colour photo. of a real-life rock area to model.

Hope that helps.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5091 on: August 16, 2018, 08:41:12 PM »
Some nice progress Chris, like the fencing and the painting on the compressor, mermaids and forklift is up to your usual standards.  Was good to see the engine shed again, been a long time since it made an appearance :)  :thumbsup:

Thanks, Andrew. I'm afraid the loco. shed is a project for another time. I want to finish up all the little jobs in the next two weeks. There is still the sky lid to paint. The static grass has also been postponed.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5092 on: August 16, 2018, 08:46:05 PM »
Steady progress with the station bookstall. I, finally, managed to get the surface as smooth as I could then applied yet another oat of expensive Tamiya matt grey undercoat.

RL=http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/chrisinprague/media/2018-08-16%2015.02.57_zpsddeuuzs7.jpg.html][/URL]

Later, I sprayed the chocolate brown on one side. (Some went on the sides.) Th dried colour does look like the dark brown of W.H. Smith & Son. I have to clean up one end and part of the opposite side before spraying the coat on the opposite side.

This is a very bad photo. due to the wet paint and reflections.

I'll post a better photo., tomorrow, then delete this one.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5093 on: August 16, 2018, 09:12:43 PM »
One of the small tasks was sorting out all the unfinished Peco goods stock. I have plenty of already painted chassis (of both types SWB and LWB and both types of LWB -- I bought goods vehicles I did not want the bodies of to provide new chassis for bodies that I did want, like a BR Brown "Tube" wagon.)

I had yet two more Peco 15ft. Extra-Long Wheelbase "INSULFISH" vans with their chassis missing a buffer so replaced them, as can be seen in these photos. As can be seen, one has a chassis with the gloss yellow axlebox covers denoting roller bearings for higher speeds. One has a spraypainted light grey roof the other the original semi-glossy medium grey plastic. I have yet to overpaint Grimsby on the black plates.

Both have spaypainted black chassis, silver painted buffers and white brake levers. (But NOT red bufferbeams; those are reserved for PO goods stock, except those locally painted 'Wadebridge' SWB "Toad" brake vans, of course. They are never around when the 'Fat Controller' visits from BR Plymouth HQ.)

Z Class 30956 prepares to take a short special goods to Wadebridge. The leading "Tube" wagon is NOT the one which has a 'new' spraypainted black chassis (taken from a surplus "INSULFISH"), it has its original. The buffers are silver, though, but I've yet to paint white the brake levers. A very nicely weathered [Peco] BR Standard Brake Van brings up the rear.

(It is rumoured that one, at least, of these two 15ft. Extra-Long Wheelbase "INSULFISH" vans along with the "Tube" wagon are to be shipped, via West Porthsea Quay, to the mysterious island of Sonmel. The chef of "The Station Hotel", Cant Cove, has heard that the seas around Sonmel abound in excellent, rare fish and is hoping that the fish van(s) will be used to bring regular consignments.)

Incidentally, George Enderby is the shy engineering genius who came up with the original design concept for the 15ft. Extra-Long Wheelbase goods stock which is proving such a success on the West Country "Fast Freight Network" (the now unknown, outside the SW, predecessor to BR's much later "Speedlink" concept). What is known is that he was one of the very best apprentices at Swindon Works rapidly rising to be a key member of the team that developed the excellent B4 passenger coach bogie before such Research and Development work was, to very considerable local disgust, taken away from Swindon and centralised at BR's new Derby Research Centre. He had also been involved in research into the rail-wheel interface prompted by the discovery that SWB goods stock derailed at anything above moderate speeds on Continuously Welded Rails (CWR). However, rather than move to Derby, he took early retirement back to his hometown of Trepol Bay where he became the highly respected General Manager of the local Wagon Works. A regular of Trepol Bay's renowned "Station Hotel" where he sits at his reserved corner table doing the most difficult newspaper crosswords (rumour is that he also composes some) he became friendly with the "Castle Estates" top salesman, Brandon Williams, who makes it his business to know everyone and everything of interest.

Brandon, in turn, introduced him to Marrek Prowse, the General Manager of the "Castle Estates", who then recommended him to the Alliance for Cornwall's Railways (ACR) where he came up with the design of the advanced, high-capacity Extra-Long Wheelbase goods stock. As BR proved uninterested (the "Not Invented Here" syndrome), the ACR contracted several firms of private wagon constructors to produce them.

As mentioned already, he is a regular at the "Station Hotel", Trepol Bay, sometimes sitting at the corner of the bar quietly chatting to the landlord and his wife [Martin knows their names] or pondering over his favourite "Times" crossword and nursing a pint of his favoured summer tipple of Headland Brewery "Summer Lightning".

Everyone just knows of him as the 'Wagon Man'. Whenever he visits Cant Cove or Trevelver Castle, both of which are very rare occurrences, he is always treated with the utmost respect and "The Station Hotel", Cant Cove, has standing orders from the "Castle Estates" and "Castle Brewery" that anything he wishes to eat or drink is 'on the house' but he always eats and drinks very modestly.

I almost forgot, I painted the mermaids' hair, yet, again. I hope, tomorrow they will all be finished.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:43:49 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5094 on: August 16, 2018, 09:40:29 PM »
Just time for another story episode.

“That’s enough, now, little brother. The trapdoor lid will have expanded with all that water soakin’ into the wood. It’ll be a nice, snug fit in case any policeman comes in, a snoopin’. Time for use two to get out and away from ‘ere, I’m thinkin’.” Alan contentedly patted the full poacher’s pockets of his overcoat.

“But, wait, Alan, aren’t we gonna pay the winners when we get the results?”

“Nah! Gambling’s illegal, see.” The older Poldory chuckled. “Why pay that lot when we can take this and start a new life for ourselves in the big city, eh?”

“You mean, London?”

“No, lil’ brother, who do we know there? I mean Plymouth. There’s plenty more mugs to part from their cash, there, an’ no-one knows us, unlike around ‘ere. An’ after tonight . . . ”

“But, I don’t wanna go to Plymouth! I like Cornwall. I like it ‘ere.”

“Ah, you’re sweet on that barmaid, ain’t ya!”

The younger man blushed and quickly nodded.

“But what about Little Tommy? You promised ‘im an’ ‘is parents . . . ”

“True, true. He’s a good lad an’ his parents need the cash, no doubt about that.”

Alan fished inside one of his pockets and drew out two blue five-pound notes and handed them over, folded in half.

“That should do very nicely. It’s half a week’s wages for a night’s work!”

“Thanks. I’ll be sure to see that he gets it, Alan.” The younger man pushed the folded notes firmly into his right-hand trouser pocket.

“Good. Tha’s settled then. Your mind’s made up then, lil’ brother. You’re stayin’ ‘ere?”

“Yes. Tha’s what I’m wantin’”

“I see. I’ll miss you, lil’ brother. Keep quiet until you’re sure that that snoopin’ copper’s gone for good, then. An’ don’t help ‘em out of the cellar for as long as you can. I need to make my getaway, see.”

“But the punters’ payout! You can’t take all their money just like that! An’ you said that we’d both lift up that trapdoor once the coast was clear . . . ”

“What’s that light over by the window!” exclaimed Alan, suddenly.

The younger man immediately turned, felt a strong blow to the side of his head and knew no more.

Quickly, Alan shone his penlight over his brother who he had helped soundlessly to collapse to the bar room floor. His pulse was fine as was his breathing. Alan rubbed his sore right-hand. I still can knock ‘em out when necessary, he smiled. Carefully, he dragged the prone body behind the bar counter and was just about to open the till when, out of the corner of his right eye, he caught the reflection of a light outside. This time for real, he realised. Immediately, Alan ducked behind the counter and listened. He heard the locked back door being tried, once, twice, thrice. Each time more strongly than the previous but it held firm. A torch was then slowly shone through the nearest window. There was a pause then the slow, steady crunch of stout boots on the gravel path. Alan waited then, bent double, slowly crept around to the front bar and, as he arrived below one of the windows, heard, outside, the sound of a departing car. From behind the corner of a curtain, he watched the tail lights dwindle as it passed around the goods yard and then turned uphill.

Satisfied, Alan, returned to the back bar. “Let’s make you look like the ‘ero, then, to your barmaid,” he whispered to his unconscious little brother. He opened the till and was surprised to see that it was almost empty. The landlord must have already removed most of the extended evening’s takings in case the police called, Alan realised. Clever; he had left just enough for providing change for the following day’s lunchtime session. Alan shrugged and removed the few banknotes, leaving the coins. Pausing, he then added to the drawer most of the small coins from his poacher’s pockets. “I’ll need to be travellin’ light,” he told himself. Leaving the till open, stepping around his brother’s body, Alan very quietly made his way to the back door, turned the key in the lock before removing it then locking the door firmly behind him. Avoiding the gravel path as much as possible, Alan made his way to the old goods van body beside which he knew the landlord kept his bike. He then wheeled it back around the inn, threw the back door key into the plunge pool, below the waterfall, passed under the tree, opened the front gate and, turning left, cycled off down the road then under the tramway bridge and onto the Wadebridge Road. He had plenty of time to get to Bodmin Road, buy a Second Class Single to Plymouth, and start a new life, he smiled. No more annoying little brother to look after and all the more cash for him!

The police car outside the "Tramway Inn".

[I have yet to build the steps to the outside drinking area in the old 'Tarpaulin" wagon body. Maybe, tomorrow? The original steps are at the top of the path to the mineral tramway. The gateposts need attention, too. Then the inn needs signs making and printing . . . ]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:42:00 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #5095 on: August 17, 2018, 10:09:37 AM »
Many thanks for these super photographs, Chris and for the discussion of wagon matters.

The inimitable GF Fiennes mentions the four-wheeled freight wagons derailing on plain track phenomenon that manifested itself in 1962.  This is in Fiennes on Rails, his second book and one that is not as well known, I believe, as I Tried to Run a Railway.  The spate of derailments was initially blamed on diesel traction but GFF pointed out that a quarter of the derailments were behind steam traction.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5096 on: August 17, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »
As promised, the station bookstall, this morning, before spraypainting the opposite side.

It's not perfect, I know, close-up but, at normal viewing distance, and with printed signs, newspapers, etc., I think it will look fine.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5097 on: August 17, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »
That looks as though it will fit the bill, Chris.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5098 on: August 17, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
All looking good Chris.
I’m sure that IG will be pleased with the little bookstall.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5099 on: August 17, 2018, 08:55:43 PM »
That looks as though it will fit the bill, Chris.

Thank you, Laurence, and Martin. It has since had a minor clean-up, then a final coat of chocolate brown paint.

Tomorrow, I will paint the roof surface dark grey or matt black; I've not decided, yet. I would imagine that it would have something like a tarred felt surface?

Then I will size and print the newspapers, etc. It should be ready to post, next week.

The mermaids are, finally, finished. I have found a very small rock for the Sonmel mermaid to sit on. I will then glue one of the remaining two on her hidden rock by her treasure chest, close to the River Camel.

[Although the correct way up in Dropbox and Photobucket, it is not, here, for some reason?]

I've also been painting various scenic items, including the compressor and three very nice little cars, as well as some almost finished goods stock. As the second Dornaplas Plastic Model Kits BN1 Terraced House Stucco and BN2 Terraced Stone arrived, this week, they and the first pair have had all their individual parts spraypainted. The stone looks very good in dark grey, the stucco in white, less so. I need to make the base for them, including the garden. (They will cover the flap above the Hex Frog Juicer.)

I also need to finish the 'Cornish Hedges' which are in all-over dark grey, at present. Fiest, I'll paint the filler areas matt green. Then, I'll apply dilute white glue and green scatter. When that's dry, the clumps of green foliage. Last will be the coloured dots for flowers following Martin's advice.

Tomorrow, I want to position the beehives on the terrace above the "Tramway Inn" and, as I've written, design, print and glue on the inn signs. I have branded brewery umbrellas and tables and chairs in "Castle Brewery" dark blue, ready.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 09:10:04 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything