!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 543285 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #1140 on: January 10, 2015, 09:38:59 AM »
Videos, courtesy of Douglas, at Wickness Models of my newly DCC-fitted Class 33 (for working the "ACE" outside the summer timetable when it reverts to Bulleid Light Pacifics) and the first of my three (maybe I only will need 2? I need to check my WTT) BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4Ts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZikQE6Khlo&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ11Os1HHn0&feature=youtu.be

The aim, this year, is to have at least one of every type of motive power that I have timetabled DCC-fiited, back in Prague, and running at Cant Cove.

I am quite happy with the less detailed old Graham Farish locos. as they are cheaper than the latest Bachmann and Dapol ones and may be more reliable, too. (Although I have some of those, too.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:05:54 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1141 on: January 10, 2015, 12:17:55 PM »
Thanks for the vids, Chris. Very smooth running although your class 33 has the same whine as mine (on DC) so that puts my mind at rest to a certain extent. My old class 25's behave the same.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1142 on: January 10, 2015, 12:27:13 PM »
You must be looking forward to running those locos Chris.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1143 on: January 10, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
Thanks for the vids, Chris. Very smooth running although your class 33 has the same whine as mine (on DC) so that puts my mind at rest to a certain extent. My old class 25's behave the same.

Thanks, Nobby. My pleasure. Yes, I did notice the whine but it's not a loco. that will run very often; only in the Winter timetable for through trains to/from Waterloo, including the "ACE" and specials to/from the SR. All my old Graham Farish locos. were checked / serviced / overhauled by Bob at BRLines before going to Wickness for DCC fitting so it should run well.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1144 on: January 10, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
You must be looking forward to running those locos Chris.

Thanks, Martin. Yes, I am. I have a few locos., now, DCC-fitted and it would be economic to have them boxed up and sent insured to Prague from Wickness. I am looking forward to running them. The 94XX in BR Black for working heavy goods trains over the steeply graded Castle branch is scheduled to be next. After that, a 4575, then one of my two Ivatt 2-6-2T 41XXXs, and my "Manor".
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:24:57 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1145 on: January 10, 2015, 03:39:27 PM »
The grey wagons and vans prepared for painting in Castle Estates or Castle Brewery liveries. (Don't worry nothing has been derailed.)

Lady Penelope's favourite horse's horsebox plus another ex-LNER SWB "Wadebridge" Brake Van for Weaver Cove. Both still need the chassis weathering with matt black, matt grey and some 'track dirt', and bufferbeams painting. I may also attempt to paint the buffer shanks gloss black instead of gloss red but that is a VERY fiddly task!

Two vans and a brake van prepared for painting. The white vans will need a grey undercoat. The BR Standard brake van was part of a job lot, as I already have a lot in standard BR Bauxite (so I can run an enthusiasts' brake van special, very popular in North Cornwall), this one will be in Castle Estates livery and will be confined to the branchline (hence only one coupling). It is also ideal for romantic evening trips to / from the Castle from / to Cant Cove station for Sylvia's notorious brother, Gerald, and his friends with a crate of "champers".

The brake van and a covered van with the first coat of Castle Estates' light blue:

The Cant Cove Loco. Preservation Group painters (awaiting gluing on little transparent plastic bases). Can you spot Elvis?

(I will replace with a better picture, later.)

A grey van and wagon, patch-painted, awaiting first coat of Castle Estates' light blue, plus an open wagon with first coat (which will be weathered for Weaver Cove).

I'm bidding for another GWR grey Peco flat wagon like this one so I will be able to make three copies of mine: John (Claverdon), Jon (Weaver Cove) and Martin (Port Perran and Trepol Bay). However, I'm not sure that I have enough identical timber loads.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:33:16 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #1146 on: January 11, 2015, 04:46:47 PM »
Great work Chris as always. I look forward to seeing them on all the layouts.

I bet your looking forward to your locos returning from dugs.
Jon

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1147 on: January 11, 2015, 05:00:39 PM »
Thanks, Jon. I hope to restart painting tomorrow morning. Yes, I am looking forward to having some of my DCC-fitted locos. back; there are still plenty more to go but my sole Class 33 (a very rare visitor to the Exeter - Okehampton - Plymouth line in real life, it is true) and the first of my BR Standard 4MT tanks will look very much in keeping at Cant Cove.  I hope to be able to pay for a couple more conversions and then it will be more economic to get them send insured, here.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1148 on: January 12, 2015, 05:28:51 PM »
Not much to report, today. I'm concentrating on painting wagons and vans in Castle Estates (and, tomorrow, Castle Brewery) liveries, plus wagon loads: crates, barrels, casks, and different types of timber. (Pictures, I hope, tomorrow.) I also plan to prepaint a few more wagons and vans for Martin to reliver for 'through' running. (Please, see Trepol Bay for pictures of the local PO wagons and vans.)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1149 on: January 12, 2015, 09:47:09 PM »
I've now started to design what will be the transfers for the vans.

This is the (greatly over-sized) revised Cornish Pixie advertising poster (hoarding) which will be divided in half and converted to an oblong small enough to fit on the side of a van.

The 2MM Scale one would be too small to see well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:54:27 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1150 on: January 13, 2015, 06:20:46 PM »
A more productive day, painting wagons and vans and preparing wagon loads.

Wagon loads and (then) unpainted wagons:

Dark grey plastic wooden crates being painted brown, white plastic vans awaiting grey undercoat, aluminium barrels and wooden casks:

Wagons and vans with first or second coat of Castle Estates' light blue:

Wagons and vans awaiting first coat of Castle Brewery dark blue:

Castle Estates brake van and open wagon after second (and final) coat of light blue:

Close-ups of first almost completed Castle Estates open wagon (still needs buffers and buffer shanks repainting in red or may be brave enough to try gloss black for the buffer shanks):

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1151 on: January 14, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »
Some photos. from yesterday. (Unfortunately, I had no time for more painting, today, but I hope to have  a full day, tomorrow.)

1st some wagonloads. From left to right: a stack of timber (a one-off), three identical (need painting to look the same) loads of wood for three flat LWB Peco Castle Estates wagons for 'through' running (Cant Cove, Claverdon, Trepol Bay) and another one-off. The two one-offs were bought as part of a job lot and adjusted to size. All except the right-hand load have been super-glued to clear plastic bases. (The excess paint near the 'ropes' has since been improved on this one).

Current selection of vans and wagons painted in Castle Estates' livery (most, again, for 'through' running).

Current selection of vans and wagons painted in Castle Brewery livery (most, again, for 'through' running).

2 vans and a wagon already finished (the vans just need their couplings refitted) (one or two may be for 'through' running; I need to check what I have already done for myself).

Most wagons and vans need a second coat of paint the underframes painted matt black and then the buffers and bufferbeams painted. The axle-boxes of the LWB flat (for Claverdon) will also need painting yellow.

Some will also be lightly weathered.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:53:04 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1152 on: January 14, 2015, 07:35:22 PM »
Thanks for the updates.
Looking good as ever.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1153 on: January 14, 2015, 07:46:38 PM »
Thanks for the updates.
Looking good as ever.

Thanks, Martin. I look forward to seeing the ones for through services running on Trepol Bay, and those for Claverdon and Weaver Cove running through also. 8-)

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #1154 on: January 14, 2015, 09:45:04 PM »
Great update Chris as always.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP