!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 616990 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #675 on: September 29, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »
I must have missed the picture of the café with the dustbins. It's really good and you are quite right - those bins do add a nice touch. I'm thinking that when my brake van body arrives, I could use it to make a harbour café serving tea/coffee to the local workforce.

Thanks, the bins really make it come to life. See, below, Martin, for the good news about the brake van!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #676 on: September 29, 2014, 09:44:35 PM »
Thanks.
Port Perran locoshed will be preparing a local 0-6-0PT to run over to Wadebridge to collect the flat wagon (with brake van body) for onward transmission to Trepol Bay harbour. The local seamen's association have offered to help with unloading the van body as they are keen to have a tea hut in the harbour. The last one was destroyed by fire two years ago !
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:47:14 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #677 on: September 29, 2014, 09:49:39 PM »
The Wadebridge yardmaster was informed by the stationmaster at Cant Cove as the yardmaster returned to Wadebridge on the 22.10 from Cant Cove to Wadebridge (a. 22.16) after darts night in the "Station Hotel". Cant Cove railwaymen just beat Wadebridge railwaymen and plenty of Castle Ales were still being drunk as the yardmaster hurried across the road to join the 2 Bulleid carriage set behind the 57XX.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:14:24 AM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #678 on: September 29, 2014, 10:28:34 PM »
Photos from tomorrow morning, bright and early at Cant Cove loco. shed:

82005 shunts in two wooden bodied open wagons for unloading and subsequent repainting in Castle Estates livery.

Having removed the two now empty wagons, 82005 returns with the brakevan body now on the low-loading wagon for the body to be chained down securely before taking it to Penmayne where it will be shunted into the goods train for Wadebridge and then transfer to Trepol Bay:

Photos taken by a bleary-eyed photographer from the "Western Morning News" staying at the nearby "Station Hotel" who took, at first, the wrong picture: the two mineral wagons!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:36:36 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #679 on: September 30, 2014, 08:00:33 PM »
My last Peco NE brakevan arrived, today, and has been cleaned and the text removed before spraypainting with Halford's Matt Grey plastic undercoat, tomorrow afternoon, I plan. I also plan to finish Jon's grey 'Wadebridge' brakevan, tomorrow, too. There's very little left to do: just tidy up the black panels with grey edges of the right dimensions and tone down the black on the roof with drybrushed dark grey. I hope to finish it, tomorrow afternoon. As per Jon's wishes, I've weathered it much more than I will my brakevans, but have tried to avoid making it look only fit for scrapping! I plan to take pictures of it, finished, and with my china clay wagons and one of my two green D63XXs (future Class 22s).

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:57:37 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #680 on: September 30, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »
This morning's goods train from Penmayne to Wadebridge included an ex-works (Cornish Loco. Pres. Society members at Cant Cove loco. shed) Castle Brewery van and a low-loader wagon with an ex-LMSR brakevan body (nicely restored and painted in grey undercoat) for onward transmission to Trepol Bay via Port Perran.

The lads and lasses at Cant Cove loco. shed are putting back into running order an old unfitted ex-LNER 10ft. wheelbase brake van which had been standing out of use at Wadebridge and which has been requested by Weaver Cove for its china clay train. As it happens, a short rake of empty china clay wagons are due to leave Penmayne TRSMD after a light overhaul, behind one of the two (out-shedded from Plymouth Laira) D63XXs (future Class 22s) for Wadebridge, and the brake van will be added to the train and then forwarded from Wadebridge down to Weaver Cove by a suitable train. The Cornish Loco. Pres. Society have promised pictures.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:59:14 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #681 on: September 30, 2014, 09:20:32 PM »
Two old ex-SR insulated vans have arrived at Cant Cove, via and have jumped the queue for repainting and a light overhaul. One will be used for 'Cornish Pixie' ice cream traffic and will be painted in Castle Estates livery whilst the other will be painted in Castle Brewery colours and used for local distribution of imported Kronenbourg lager after the Castle Brewery's management paid a very enjoyable visit to Strasbourg to sign the distribution agreement. It may also carry a small Kronenbourg logo. (The Kronenbourg ferry vans only work to and from the Castle Brewery.) Photos of the two vans in their plain white livery have been promised for tomorrow with photos of them in their new liveries as soon as the painters complete them.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #682 on: October 01, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
By the way Chris if you are after point motors that have no need for soldering buy the Cobalt motors they have push terminals. They are a bit dear but are cheaper if you buy in batches of ten or more  from Hattons.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #683 on: October 01, 2014, 04:15:35 PM »
Many thanks, Chris, for that valuable tip. Cobalts are one of the three brands I'm considering (Tortoise -- for the scenic part of my layout -- and the cheaper but less reliable Conrad -- for the off-scene storage sidings -- being the others but they DO require soldering). I have 10 standard points plus a three-way point and often buy items from Hattons. I need to buy one point motor very soon so that I can make the cut-outs to house point motors -- which I will buy and fit later -- in the insulating board above the baseboard and below the track and scenery. However, without soldering help I think I may as well bulk buy Cobalts from Hattons
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:30:21 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #684 on: October 01, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »
Hi Chris for my next micro planned for 2015 I will be using Cobalt motors. I love the action you get with them.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #685 on: October 01, 2014, 05:34:01 PM »
Hi Chris for my next micro planned for 2015 I will be using Cobalt motors. I love the action you get with them.

Thanks, John. So, it looks like I should buy one Cobalt, this month, as a template and then bulk buy 10 more from Hattons, later, when I get fed-up with hand-operating points! The baseboard is quite narrow and will sit on the double bed when I'm operating the layout so I can reach all 11 of the points quite easily. Before I can fit and use the three-way point I also need, I'm informed, a hex frog juicer so that has high priority, too.

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #686 on: October 01, 2014, 05:37:35 PM »

Thanks, John. So, it looks like I should buy one Cobalt, this month, as a template and then bulk buy 10 more from Hattons, later, when I get fed-up with hand-operating points! The baseboard is quite narrow and will sit on the double bed when I'm operating the layout so I can reach all 11 of the points quite easily. Before I can fit and use the three-way point I also need, I'm informed, a hex frog juicer so that has high priority, too.

Yes on the three way Chris But I'm going to use them for all my points as I want to control LED on the control panel

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #687 on: October 01, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
Anything more complex than a simple switch to set a point open or closed is beyond me, Jon.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #688 on: October 01, 2014, 09:03:37 PM »
Another Tip Chris, if you buy the Cobalts in a multi-pack you get the template kit with the box. You can buy sticky pads to mount them under your board(paint the board first) but I bought some double sided sticky tape off e-bay.It does make it easy mounting the motor and you can add screw after when you have checked its working correctly. I would imagine you want the analogue motors, they also have two built in switches, very handy. I am on dcc but control my points from a panel, so I have a  seperate power supply for the motors,if my dcc trips I still have power for my points.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #689 on: October 01, 2014, 09:32:02 PM »
Thanks, Chris. That is a valuable tip. I will be operating a DCC layout but only about 25% of my motive power is DCC-fitted yet. (I bought enough to operate a Summer Saturday service c. 1962, based on the Padstow WTT, which is a LOT of locos!) I'm hoping to mount the point motors next to the points but sunken into the 'ground'. Analogue motors sounds right: two switches (open / closed)! I'm not planning a panel; maybe in the future when everything else is done. However, I am planning to have a separate power supply for the point motors (also lighting), so that will be three buses.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal