!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 617014 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #735 on: October 10, 2014, 07:26:21 PM »
A while ago I promised a picture of Lofty, the "Cornish Pixie" brand ice cream seller, and his outdoor cafe area (which will be) in front of the "Railway Hotel", Cant Cove.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:33:11 AM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #736 on: October 10, 2014, 07:30:16 PM »
Three goods yard buildings in various stages of completion:

From left to right: Cant Cove Coal Merchant's office (complete apart from gluing on of already painted gutters and drainpipes, still to be fitted, and sign), and Castle Estate's goods office and a second Coal Merchant's office which will both be 'kitbashed' using Ratio products (windows, gutters, drainpipes, roof, etc.) to improve them.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:23:23 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #737 on: October 11, 2014, 09:30:51 AM »
Good morning from a dull and overcast Cant Cove. After breakfast in the "Station Hotel", the official photographer and his young auburn-haired assistant have been in the nearby loco. shed taking pictures of the first wagons overhauled and repainted by members of the Cornish Loco. Preservation Society (off-duty local railway staff and their friends) for the Castle Estates for the circuit: Castle Estates, Cant Cove, Penmayne, Wadebridge, Port Perran and Trepol Bay and return.

The van is the first refurbished insulated / refrigerated van for "Cornish Pixie" brand ice cream products and other dairy products from the estate's prize-winning dairy herd.

The well-watered rough grass in front of the loco. shed can now be seen.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:21:08 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: The photographer\'s assistant\'s hair colour! »

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #738 on: October 11, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »
Very nice Chris

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #739 on: October 11, 2014, 12:39:11 PM »
He is lucky to have such a lovely assistant!  ;)

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #740 on: October 11, 2014, 01:16:35 PM »
He is indeed a lucky man, Paddy. 8-)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #741 on: October 11, 2014, 01:19:10 PM »
Very nice Chris

Thank you. 8-) I have bought a lot of N Scale figures for 'story scenes'. Unfortunately, this particular Preiser set is not well-painted. Eventually, I will repaint some of the details on the figures, like the hair.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:21:32 PM by Chris in Prague »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #742 on: October 11, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
Looks good.
I like the little stories that accompany your posts - brings the whole thing to life.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #743 on: October 11, 2014, 07:09:13 PM »
Looks good.
I like the little stories that accompany your posts - brings the whole thing to life.

Many thanks, Martin. When I first began planning Penmayne and then Cant Cove (as I don't have the space, here, for Penmayne) I was creating a 'back story' for the railway and key people involved with it. (One of these days I will write up the full story in the planning thread.) I like the little stories that Bart created for Julieberg and they are another inspiration. I have a lot of different little people for various stories that will be set in Cant Cove. For me the railway should be set within a time and place so scenery and people are just as important as the locomotives and rolling stock (which, for me, are also very important). I really appreciate all the little scenes in Port Perran, too, and look forward to seeing Trepol Bay develop and Descanso Farm which, I think, will also have some very attractive scenes.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:52:34 AM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #744 on: October 11, 2014, 10:58:57 PM »
This evening I saw a colour photo of Class 22 D6328 on a school train at Padstow, 13-7-65: https://flic.kr/p/pCq9TZ. The stock is S15884, S105S and W220W (BR Standard Mark I CK, Bulleid SK, these two in BR SR green and BR Maroon Hawksworth BSK with maroon ends). Now, as I've based my WTT on Padstow's I have a school train in my timetable. I have 2 Class 22s, 3 BR SR MkI CKs and 1 each of the BR SR Green Bulleid coaches that Graham Farrish produce including a SK, so now all I am waiting for is the Hawksworth BSK carriage in BR Maroon. 8-)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:54:06 AM by Chris in Prague »

Offline willike1958

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12585
    • Awards
« Reply #745 on: October 12, 2014, 05:30:06 AM »
Hi Chris,
You look to be progressing well with the rolling stock and buildings for Cant Cove. When do you expect to start the track laying, or it already underway?
And thanks for the Flickr link which amongst other things provides some very interesting photos of pre-BR carriages in all blue and blue-grey livery.
Keep up the good work.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #746 on: October 12, 2014, 06:49:27 AM »
Hi Wilkie,

Many thanks for your kind comments. I have the baseboard and removeable cover (under one half of the double bed, the central legs prevent anything wider) plus all the track, joiners, trackpins and points (in fact a surplus of points) and a detailed track and scenery plan (see below) but have still to buy the insulating board sections which, in layers, will go on the baseboard.

The baseboard will be sea level (beach area, edge of River Camel estuary, Cant Cove itself), the first layer will be track level and the (part) second, third and, maybe, fourth layers will form the scenery above track level, including part of the hidden sidings representing the Castle Estates and Castle Brewery. However, I only have time to do major work (on the baseboard) over my long summer and Christmas - New Year breaks. Additionally, I have to wait until my landlord and friend has time to take me in his car to a local DIY store then come back to my flat and help me cut and glue the insulating board panels (which requires a whole day we estimate). We also still need to fit the three buses (wire loops under the board for DCC power, lighting, and points -- for the future -- then wire up the track and points and fit the wires for lighting the buildings (which requires all the buildings to be complete -- hence they have priority -- and positioned).

Lastly, I still have to buy a 'Hex Frog Juicer', as I have a three-way point in the goods yard for the two sidings and the Castle Estates branch, and a DCC controller (part paid) as I only have an old Graham Farrish trainset DC controller. I have never had a DCC layout before nor done any soldering (I plan to get someone in to do all the soldering once I have all the wires and holes ready!).

I'm also paying to have my stockpile of locos. and DMUs DCC-fitted by Wickness Models (only about 1/3 done so far). (I have virtually every loco., DMU, diesel railcar and carriage that I need to operate a full Summer Saturday timetable between 1961 and 1968 to / from Penmayne -- based on Padstow -- with SR and WR steam and diesel motive power. I expect inflation to return in the future and such models will not get any cheaper.) I do have a week off coming, at the end of this month and MAY be able to go to buy then fit and glue the scenic boards but I am not certain and it also depends on my landlord's availability.

At present, if I can grab a break to work on buildings and wagons I am happy as I find it very relaxing after work. I have still to construct the platforms, station buildings, goods shed, and signal box (I have the plans), the "Station Hotel" (I have my eye on a suitable German plastic kit to convert) and the "Tramway Inn" (I have a Lyddle End Georgian style house but may scratchbuild something similar). To get back into railway modelling, this summer, I have begun with kits then altering kits (kit bashing), before returning to full scratchbuilding, as experience has taught me that I still make a lot of mistakes and under-estimate how long it takes to do a job properly.

I have been using Peco LNER short wheelbase (10 ft.) brakevans (bought cheaply on eBay) to practise my painting skills on as Wadebridge had several of these in fitted (BR Bauxite) and unfitted (BR Grey). Currently, I have two of each plus have repainted one in BR Early Bauxite for Trepol Bay and one in BR Grey (heavily weathered) for Weaver Cove. Just one van takes a surprisingly long time to complete.

Like many, I suspect, on the forum, I am not in my youth and want to do the fiddly work of building and wagon construction and painting whilst I can still use my hands without any problems (e.g. arthritis). I want to light all the buildings and fit detailing which also adds to the time required to complete any model. (I am not up to Trevor (China Hand's) and others' standard in building construction but I am aiming there!) Once I have all the buildings for Cant Cove complete it will be time to start constructing those for the (distant future) Penmayne extension.

Lastly, I live in a small flat and the space to do modelling and painting and to store the boxes of railway items is at a premium so I cannot work on everything at once.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the photo. and Flickr link. I have invested in a pile of books about the railways of North Cornwall and, in the 1960s, a fascinating collection of carriages in BR Green, Chocolate and Cream, and Maroon livery of LSWR, SR, GWR, LMSR and LNER design could be seen, hence my interest in the Flickr collection of non-BR design carriages. I am waiting for Maunsell and Hawksworth design carriages and parcels stock plus a N Class steam loco. Then I have to detail my fleet of refurbished Graham Farish Bulleid Light Pacifics . . .

I should also mention my good friend, Martin, whose Port Perran (WR) and, now, Trepol Bay (SR) Cornish layouts have been a great inspiration and we run 'through trains' using duplicate models so I am constructing duplicate wagons that will appear on both layouts in Castle Brewery and Castle Estates' liveries. I also hope to see Headland Brewery vans, in the future, too, from Trepol Bay, as the two independent breweries have a guest ales exchange program which prevents the vans coming back carrying only empty casks and barrels!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 07:51:06 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #747 on: October 12, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »
I decided to have a break this morning and 'create' the Cornish Pixie dairy ice cream logo for the vans and retail outlets (e.g. the Cant Cove cafe). The management is confident that it will not only prove to be a hit in Penmayne and Cant Cove but also Port Perran and Trepol Bay and, maybe, further afield?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:30:50 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #748 on: October 12, 2014, 02:09:42 PM »
It being a beautiful sunny afternoon in Cant Cove, the official photographer and his young auburn-haired assistant have been enjoying some delicious 'Cornish Pixie' dairy ice cream cones at the pavement cafe outside the "Station Hotel" served by the ever cheerful (not), Lofty, whose picture appears in an earlier post. 8-)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:22:10 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: The photographer\'s assistant\'s hair colour! »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #749 on: October 12, 2014, 02:55:07 PM »
Great poster/ logo Chris.
Keep up the good work.
Incidentally, I have run a schools train on Port Perran for a couple of years usually comprising a pannier or prarie tank and two old Great Western suburban carriages in chocolate & cream livery.
No doubt that train will eventually extend its daily route to Trepol Bay and beyond.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal