!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 611816 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6600 on: January 11, 2020, 04:01:55 PM »
Things are happening.

As for 8102, that’s very unusual for North Cornwall where thetrack and points are generally kept in tip top condition.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #6601 on: January 11, 2020, 04:19:31 PM »
There will be some red faces!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #6602 on: January 11, 2020, 04:28:49 PM »
Two very important additions to the GWS (Bodmin) fleet are the two 14xx class tank locos. formerly used on the branch from Lostwithiel to Fowey. The first, used for many years was 1419 of 83E (St Blazey) which had arrived in Augist 1950. It still carried BR Black Early Crest livery in the Spring of 1961. It was withdrawn in April 1961, overhauled at Swindon Works and returned to St Blazey for preservation at Bodmin.

No. 1419 was known locally as "Maud" whilst shedded at St. Blazey in Cornwall from where she worked the Fowey to Lostwithiel branch line services before having to be withdrawn with damaged mainframes in April of 1961, being replaced by sister engine 1468 at St. Blazey which worked the branch until mid-April of 1961. After that date, the branch was operated by a Diesel Railcar, but 1468 was retained as a "Standby" engine at St. Blazey until she was condemned in March of 1962.

No. 1419 at Lostwithiel.

No. 1419 at Swindon Works.

It seems that I need to buy and add toolboxes (?) to the front frames of No. 1419.

No. 1461 was replaced by 1468 which had arrived at 83E (St Blazey .in December 1960 before withdrawal in July 1961, condemnation in March of 1962,
overhaul at Swindon Works and returned to St Blazey for preservation at Bodmin. Although both were used with earlier GWR autocoaches, the GWS (Bodmin) has also preserved two BR WR Hawksworth autocoaches, one in BR Crimson and one in BR Maroon. The two pairs were used to run offpeak local services between Wadebridge at Penamayme. Here we can see both pairs passing at Cant Cove.

No. 1419 has special significance for Sylvia's beloved old Cornish widowed nanny, 'Nursie', Widow Curnow, or Mrs. Curnow. from Fowey, who married the former regular driver of the 14XX, 1419, on the autotrain to / from Lostwithiel (on which 'Nursie' often took Sylvia when she was very small). Using the 'Christmas' van of the 'Girld', Sylvia took 'Nursie' to Cant Cove for her annual Christmas ride behind the little loco.

Sylvia and her mother then took her for lunch at "The Railway Hotel".

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 04:33:13 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6603 on: January 11, 2020, 04:31:34 PM »
It is rumoured that the damage to the points which derailed the "Large Prairie" was deliberate. D.I. Rule is investigating ...

But back to the previous story.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6604 on: January 11, 2020, 04:38:03 PM »
Alan Poldory was a very worried man. One of ‘The Firm’ members was a short Liverpudlian called Louis whose high-pitched nasal whine and sarcastic sense of humour he had come to dread. Louis was no more popular with the other gang members and walked with a pronounced limp after receiving a vicious kicking from one of the Glaswegian heavies fed up with Louis’s acerbic comments about his accent. However, as Louis was a world-class forger whose work, undetectably altering contracts, had proven very lucrative, time and time again, the Twins had made it very clear that the direst consequences would follow for anyone damaging his hands or head. Thus, Alan who could easily have floored Louis with a single punch, felt powerless to physically retaliate and did his best to keep as far away from the Liverpudlian as possible.

A smiling Louis had just taunted him, his whispered words dripping with sarcasm, that Alan's Russians friends had not forgotten him and a party of them had booked a table that very evening and were most eager to speak with Alan after they had dined so he had better make sure that he did not slope off anywhere! But, in case, he was, for some strange reason, too shy to meet his Russian friends, the Twins had ordered everyone to ensure that he did not leave the premises!

That was, however, just one of Poldory's problems.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 05:59:55 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #6605 on: January 11, 2020, 04:57:05 PM »

It seems that I need to buy and add toolboxes (?) to the front frames of No. 1419.

She's got toolboxes - they both have, albeit apparently not quite as large as in the prototype photo.

However, what 1419 does need is a left hand tank vent  ;)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6606 on: January 11, 2020, 05:02:04 PM »

She's got toolboxes - they both have, albeit apparently not quite as large as in the prototype photo.

Thank you, Chris. I'd never noticed the missing left-hand tank vent before. Now it's very obvious. No. 1419 was bought secondhand missing other parts. I can ask a model engineer friend if he can make a new one and, perhaps, fit replacement toolboxes, too?

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #6607 on: January 11, 2020, 05:19:22 PM »

Thank you, Chris. I'd never noticed the missing left-hand tank vent before. Now it's very obvious. No. 1419 was bought secondhand missing other parts.

With the size, or lack of size, of these things it's easy to miss anything that's missing amiss.
I never noticed that my first Mickey Mouse tank was missing an entire motion bracket, until however the motion was hanging on gave up. My excuse for that is that the whole darned thing is black - frames, wheels, body, motion, etc. so it's a bit like Holly in Red Dwarf in the black holes episode,
"The thing about space, your actual space is that it's black. The thing about black holes, your actual black holes, is that they're black, So how are you supposed to see them?"

I can ask a model engineer friend if he can make a new one and, perhaps, fit replacement toolboxes, too?

The existing toolboxes appear to be part of the body moulding. It may be simpler to just increase their size with plasticard glued on the top and, maybe, sides.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6608 on: January 11, 2020, 06:01:42 PM »

Thank you, Chris. I'd never noticed the missing left-hand tank vent before. Now it's very obvious. No. 1419 was bought secondhand missing other parts.

With the size, or lack of size, of these things it's easy to miss anything that's missing amiss.
I never noticed that my first Mickey Mouse tank was missing an entire motion bracket, until however the motion was hanging on gave up. My excuse for that is that the whole darned thing is black - frames, wheels, body, motion, etc. so it's a bit like Holly in Red Dwarf in the black holes episode,
"The thing about space, your actual space is that it's black. The thing about black holes, your actual black holes, is that they're black, So how are you supposed to see them?"

I can ask a model engineer friend if he can make a new one and, perhaps, fit replacement toolboxes, too?

The existing toolboxes appear to be part of the body moulding. It may be simpler to just increase their size with plasticard glued on the top and, maybe, sides.

Thanks, Chris. That looks quite straightforward.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6609 on: January 11, 2020, 06:56:35 PM »
Snapper had greeted Rule in his guise of a dealer in illicit goods and, their large Scotches delivered, seemingly got down to business as Snapper carefully produced a folder containing a sheaf of typed papers and blueprints which he passed to the Cornish detective to seemingly study.

“To a successful evening!” toasted Rule before resuming his examination of the folder’s contents.

“I certainly hope so,” replied Snapper. “I’ve just come from a very interesting chat, in the ‘Markham Arms’, next to ‘BAZAAR’, with an old friend of mine who works in the Immigration Service at Heathrow Airport. A party of Soviets have arrived on the Aeroflot flight from Moscow, but they started their journey in Leningrad. Of particular interest to us is the fact that they are reported to be on their way, here!”

“How do you know that?”

“As soon as my friend tipped me off, I ordered a plainclothes policeman in an unmarked radio car to tail ‘em! The whole business seemed odd, and something told me that it mattered and that nothing was quite what it seemed, so I listened to my instincts. They should, according to the last message I received in the ‘Markham’, arrive shortly.”

“But why would these Soviets come here of all places?”

Snapper quickly filled in the key details of the GRU attack at the ‘Café Daquise’, of which Rule had been completely unaware.

“I see. That changes the situation greatly. Who are these Soviets?”

“Well, I should not be telling you any of this, but I trust you that this will not go any further.”

“But, of course.”

“Their leader is a vulgar German …” Rule heard.

“A vulgar German?”

“No, a Volga German! The Volga Germans are ethnic Germans who colonized and formerly lived along the Volga River in south-eastern European Russia. In the Second World War, Stalin had them all exiled to the Kazakh SSR and Siberia. Unfortunately, the Admiral would never divulge any information over the telephone, nor did I have time to visit him in Whitehall before coming here. However, a loyal Soviet Volga Russian would be most useful working with German rocket scientists captured at the war’s end, the same targets that T-Force were searching for, of course. My intuition suggests a small team led by a GRU man from the Soviet Military-Space Academy, Leningrad, which, even if the Admiral will say not a word, Susan believes has, somehow, been infiltrated by the Daleks.”

“I see. Poldory was working with a GRU man who was a Dalek roboman, was he not?”

“Yes, and even if the Admiral will say nothing to me, Susan has confirmed that the GRU man at the ‘Café Daquise’ was a Dalek roboman, too!”

“So, even if they are not robomen, although that seems very likely, they are almost certainly GRU men and will be very keen to take friend Poldory off somewhere quiet where they can question him at great and, no doubt, very painful length!”

“That could prove most awkward as we’re relying on Poldory to assist us!”

“We need to let Jeremy know so he can warn not only Poldory but also the others. However, we can’t be seen talking with Jeremy. I’ve noticed that Eddie has arrived at the bar and is sitting carefully watching us.”

“I think I know how we can achieve that.” Rule leaned over and whispered in Snapper’s ear, pointing to a young blonde energetically dancing with her friends to The Chiffons’ “He's So Fine”. Snapper nodded.

“An excellent suggestion. That should work fine.”

Rule then got up and smiling, waved to the dancing blonde who smiled back. Rule beckoned her to come over to the table.

Smiling broadly, the young woman gracefully settled into the seat indicated to her, opposite Snapper, and Rule sat down next to her. Rule signalled to the same tall brunette waitress and ordered them a round of drinks. Once the waitress had departed, Rule made the introductions before they toasted each other.

“Right, young lady,” explained Snapper quietly, “this is what we need you to do and remember. It is of the greatest importance. Can you do this?”

Her round face became very serious. “Yes, of course. We will do what is ordered and at every command, we will be ready!” she smiled. Then, her face very serious again, “I’m listening.”

Rule leaned over and whispered in her ear.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:39:39 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #6610 on: January 11, 2020, 07:02:32 PM »
The plot thickens...
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6611 on: January 12, 2020, 10:50:42 AM »
After Jeremy rose from the table, he walked past the crowded table where Sofi, Fermin, Rae Anne and her two young Californian female friends, Amy and Lana, were sitting, then the table where the immaculately dressed Christian and Catala kept gazing into each other’s eyes. Fermin had, Jeremy knew, already agreed with Catala that very soon they would need to return home, particularly Fermin as there was, Catala had emphasised, much overdue work awaiting him! What would happen between Fermin and Rae Anne, and the seemingly besotted Christian and Catala, was not Jeremy’s concern. Amy and Lana were celebrating their last weekend in London because they had tickets booked to Los Angeles International airport, departing on the Monday, ready to commence their undergraduate studies at the University of California, Los Angeles, UCLA. Whilst the others at the table, when not up and dancing, were laughing and joking, only Sofi was sitting grim-faced nursing her drink. As Jeremy passed Sofi, she looked up, fluttered her false eyelashes and smiled hopefully but, to her obvious distress, Jeremy completely ignored her. Unknown to her, he had far more important matters on his mind. At the bar, as arranged, he immediately asked for Alan Poldory.

“Wait one minute, please, Mr. … err?” replied the statuesque middle-aged auburn-haired barmaid, her eyebrows raised quizzically.

“Shaw, Thomas Shaw.”

“I’ll call Mr. Poldory. He’s expecting you.”

In response to her summons, an anxious-looking Poldory very quickly appeared from one of the discothèque’s side service doors.

“Follow me, please, Mr. Shaw.”

“Is the cake safe?” Jeremy demanded as soon as they were through the side door and out of earshot.

“Yes, yes. Don’t worry. I’ve been keeping an eye on it, as I promised.”

“Has anyone, anyone at all, been near it since it was delivered, Poldory?”

“Not to the best of my knowledge. My tasks don’t allow me to watch over it all the time, you know!”

“Hmm, and the box of clothes, Poldory?”

“As soon as the box arrived, I put in the private room that Miss Trevelver reserved, as agreed. Here’s the key.”

“Good, Poldory. If you do everything that you agreed, you just might get out of this smelling of roses!”

“I know, I know and I’m very grateful, very grateful indeed. Believe me. But, there’s something very important you need to know. No, two things …”

“You can tell me in the private room. There’s no time to waste. Come on.”

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6612 on: January 12, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »
We interrupt the story to bring you some more photos. of the Christmas to New Year period train services. Express Parcels Car W34W, withdrawn from Southall in September 1960 still in its BR Crimson livery and reserved by the GWS (Bodmin) before a full overhaul at Worcester Works at the end of 1962 completed in the ex-RN works under Trevelver Castle, in early 1963, has proven a very useful and economical addition to the fleet on 'as required' operational lease to BR WR.

With a local shortage of vacuum-braked goods stock, overhauled non-VB vehicles have had to be drafted in. One of which is working in Cornwall and Devon, carrying Christmas parcels. Here it is seen behind W34W entering Cant Cove on a Penmayne to Wadebridge shuttle service.

The GWS (Bodmin) pilot 4575 of a heavy special with GWS (Bodmin) preserved 6397 (83E) of St Blazey,  October 1952 to August 1959, withdrawn in September 1959 then overhauled at Swindon Works, waits for the line to Penmayne to become clear.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #6613 on: January 12, 2020, 07:28:05 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
 Many thanks Chris W43W looking rather splendid. I feel the plot on London building to an exciting finale  :thumbsup:
         regards Derek

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6614 on: January 12, 2020, 09:14:56 PM »
:hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
 Many thanks Chris W43W looking rather splendid. I feel the plot on London building to an exciting finale  :thumbsup:
         regards Derek

Thank you, Derek. The ex-GWR diesel Express Parcels Car W34W is a 3D printed body on a DCC-fitted Graham Farish GWR diesel railcar chassis and was excellently completed by NGF member Tony, in Spain, for me. I had long wanted one.

I have just about worked out how the story will end.

I hope that Chris (Weave) approves the descriptions of his characters.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal