!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 542696 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6345 on: October 16, 2019, 07:05:42 PM »
The most talked-about special train of the summer was a special, formed of the latest Metro-Cammell "Pullman" Cars, to Penmayne graced by the CLPG's preserved T9 No. 30313 from Exeter.

Refreshments were, of course, available throughout the journey!

A suitably liveried BR WR Chocolate & Cream BF brought up the rear and stored extra supplies of food and drink as well as the guard!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #6346 on: October 16, 2019, 07:08:46 PM »
The T9 looks good at the head of those Pullmans Chris.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6347 on: October 16, 2019, 07:37:11 PM »
The T9 looks good at the head of those Pullmans Chris.

Thank you, Martin. I agree. Those "Pullmans" were a very early purchase and have never before appeared at Cant Cove. Next time, I should form a train of the old "Pullmans" as that can have a portion for Trepol Bay. I also need to buy an Osborn's "Pullman" Observation kit for the "Cornish Belle"!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6348 on: October 16, 2019, 08:06:53 PM »
Great excitement always centred on the special locos. chosen for the special train portions that worked (usually to / from Wadebridge, but occasionally Bodmin Road) on to Trepol Bay, Port Perran, Newquay or Truro or some combination of these destinations. Some special trains were for gourmets, others for well-heeled enthusiasts, and a few were bargain-priced specials from far afield conveying eager trainspotters in agng second class coaches!

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #6349 on: October 16, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »
Hi Chris,

Lovely looking train and looking forward to more with the observation car.

Am wondering why the Chelsea Girls hadn't enquired about Pullman travel in the area before  :).

Great stuff.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6350 on: October 16, 2019, 08:23:00 PM »
Thanks. Chris (Weave).

Their meagre salaries don't stretch to the "Pullman" supplement on the "Cornish Belle", unfortunately. Ordinary 1st Class tickets are their limit and they prefer the group discount booking! 8-)

The Pullman Observation Car will have to be a November or December purchase for January construction. I'm looking forward to seeing Pete's.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6351 on: October 17, 2019, 06:18:16 AM »
Giles Roskrow was in the cellar of his flourishing Chelsea wine and spirits importing business when his new personal assistant, “Chelsea Girl”, Angela, called down from the doorway leading from the private sampling room behind his very well-stocked showroom.

“Giles, I have someone called the Admiral on the line. He says it’s a Code Red.”

“Thank you, Angela. Tell him, I’ll take it in my office. Is there anyone in the showroom?”

“No, the last customer left before you went down to the cellar.”

“Good. Put the ‘CLOSED’ sign in the door, then pull down the blind and take a coffee break, next door. I'll collect you from the café when my call is finished. Lock the door behind you and put the office keys through the letterbox.”

“Okay, thanks, Giles, I’ll do that.”

“Good. See you, soon, Angela.”

Giles entered his office as his new PA left, firmly locking the front door behind her. He heard the office keys drop onto the floor with a clink. He shut his office door and picked up the receiver from his desk.

“Giles Roskrow, here.”

“What kept you, Roskrow? Didn't your young woman tell you this is a Code Red?”

Giles sighed to himself. “Yes, Admiral, my PA, Angela, did. I was checking stock in the cellar and she had to, first, lock up and leave, as you require.”

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6352 on: October 17, 2019, 10:43:00 AM »
Intriguing rumours about the identity of two tarpaulin-covered coaches arriving in Wadebridge Yard in an express goods from London and booked on the next goods to Truro via Trepol Bay, where they are 'ticketed' for attention by fitters from the harbourside wagon works, are circulating among local railway enthusiasts. Bill Truscott, the Yardmaster, Wadebridge, is saying nothing and neither are the local signalmen: Sandy Penduckett and Neamiah Treskerby. However, (illegal) bets as to their identity, purpose, and ownership, are rumoured to be taken at "The Withered Bough" public house to which Jago Pascoe and Morwenna Pascoe, the Landlord and Landlady, are turning a 'blind eye'. Arthur Angove, the Shedmaster, Wadebridge, is confident he knows but says he, too, has been sworn to secrecy!

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6353 on: October 18, 2019, 10:27:37 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
  Many thanks Chris, all good riveting stuff, looking forward to more.   :thumbsup:
      regards Derek

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6354 on: October 19, 2019, 11:22:36 AM »
Thanks, Derek, more to come soon!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6355 on: October 19, 2019, 10:40:12 PM »
“Fine, Roskrow. Spare me the domestic details,” replied the Admiral. “This is, as I told your Angela, a Code Red. Time to earn that nice monthly retainer that Her Majesty’s Government, in its infinite wisdom, very generously bestows on former members of the Regiment on standby duty. I want you to gather your most trusted colleagues to form a security surveillance and protection squad for some very high value civilians at the address you will be given by a trusted courier, personally known to the two of us, at a location codenamed, Honey Trap. I want you all in place ASAP. The good news is that... the civilians are all known to you. The courier will brief you with the necessary details. But now, I need you and your standby security team to meet two London Black Cabs driven by security cleared ex-servicemen, in one hour's time, at your registered places of work. Issue the team with full armaments from your cellar armoury to be placed in the secure boot of the first cab which should be arriving at your location in fifteen minutes. The driver is authorised to help you carry the weapons plus full ammunition from your showroom NOT your hidden armoury. The passphrase is Dick Black, Turpin Bess. Repeat that, Roskrow.”

Giles Roskrow did so.

“Good. Standard Code Red expenses and I expect receipts! Further information will be delivered in a borrowed Harrods’ delivery van to the Honey Trap. The passphrase for that will be delivered in two halves to two members of your standby security team. All standard equipment, weapons and ammunition issuance regulations are waived. Should you be able to justify it, you can even request alien equipment from Torchwood. In short, whatever you ask for Roskrow, you will be provided. Failure is NOT an option! Everything understood, Roskrow?

“Yes, sir! We will not fail in our tasks.”

“Any questions, Roskrow?”

“No, Admiral.”

“Good. Those who you and your squad are charged with protecting are to be safeguarded at AT ALL COSTS, no matter the losses to you and your team. All standard restraints are lifted. Just try not to catch anyone in any crossfire, will you! That will be most tedious.”

“We will do our very best.”

“I know you will. Now, get moving, Roskrow!”

The Admiral replaced the receiver, satisfied that all that was needful had been said and that the best men would be in place, whilst hoping that, knowing those they would be protecting, would help Roskrow and his friends. It was high time to ring for his customary pot of Earl Grey with ‘Rich Tea’ biscuits for one.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6356 on: October 20, 2019, 10:32:35 PM »
 :hellosign:
Thanks Chris, yes a pot of Tea is definitely in order
      regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6357 on: October 21, 2019, 05:37:02 PM »
Thank you, Derek. Here's the next (short) instalment.

The “Atlantic Coast Express” had exchanged its Bulleid ‘Light’ Pacific No. 34033 “Chard” for a Bulleid Merchant Navy No. 35017 “Belgian Marine”, at Exeter Central, and the crew of the big loco. had had no problem keeping time with its heavy train full of returning holidaymakers. At Salisbury station, the stationmaster had given them, and their train’s guard, the highly confidential instructions about stopping very briefly, at Clapham Junction, just seven minutes away from its destination of Waterloo.

“I wonder what’s that all about,” remarked the driver to his fireman, who replied:

“No idea, mate. Very strange.”

Approaching Clapham Junction, the “Atlantic Coast Express” began slowing for its unexpected stop. Most passengers expected that this slowing was due to a temporary halt at a signal waiting for the route to their arrival platform to clear. Only the railwaymen and the group in their reserved 1st-class compartment knew different.

Giles Roskrow had arrived with his carefully chosen and well-armed friends, Jim Tremayne, Phil Courtenay, Tom Carew, and Andy Tolverne, at the platform, just in time to make himself known to the Special Branch officer with his photographers, the officer commanding the British Transport Police contingent and the stationmaster commanding a group of burly ticket inspectors and be briefed on the final details.

“Right,” announced the Special Branch officer. “The platform tannoys will warn passengers not to disembark as the train is only pausing briefly. We suspect that there may well be enemy agents on board who joined en route and who, seeing our protected group leaving the train, instead of, as expected, at Waterloo, will attempt to disembark, too, to follow or even intercept them. My men will photograph any who do so for identification whilst the Ticket Inspectors and BT Police constables will forcibly keep them on board by firmly closing any doors that anyone attempts to disembark from and ensuring that all doors remain closed. Any questions?”

“Maximum force authorised, sir?” asked one of the constables.

“Yes, and that applies to you Ticket Inspectors, too.”

“No more questions?”

There were none. “Right. To your places. The ‘Atlantic Coast Express’ is approaching!”
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 05:38:34 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #6358 on: October 22, 2019, 10:14:13 AM »
Hi Chris,

Great story as usual.

Hope you don't mind but a bit of a thread hijack. It concerns the Chelsea Girls and other Cornish characters so sort of relevant. Am thinking that the Port Regleun train ferry could have accommodated a few cars on board as well as the train with one SNCF car transporter waiting at the port station.

The car ramp and paved area probably wont be ready until Christmas time at my slow rate but thought some, presumably 'Oxford', model cars would be good for my Xmas wish list from SWMBO so was wondering what the 'Girls' and the Trevelvers etc. would drive if they took their own cars, driven by staff at the ports of course and then attached to the CIWL, to Biarritz, Cotes d'Azur etc next Summer?

I know nothing about cars so please don't just say 'a Mini' or 'a Daimler' etc. Thank you in advance and sorry again for the hijack.

Looking forward to more pics and the story.

Great stuff.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:22:59 AM by weave »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6359 on: October 22, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »
Hi Chris (Weave),

Thanks for your kind words. The car ramp is an excellent idea. I began the process of making multiple models of Eli's metallic blue Citroën DS (resprayed Lone Star models) and Sylvia's red MGB (I have multiple Oxford Diecast*) complete with figures of Sylvia and Jeremy but never finished the latter. One of those French doubledecker car carrier wagons would be suitable? (Like the Lima -- I think -- one?) I do have various Oxford Diecast cars, like a Daimler, that could be suitable for the Trevelvers' car.

NMGB001*
Oxford Diecast
MGB Roadster Tartan Red

Suitable models could be:

NDS001
Oxford Diecast
Daimler DS420 Limousine in Old English White

NDS003
Oxford Diecast
Daimler DS420 Limousine in black & carlton grey

NDS006
Oxford Diecast
Daimler DS420 Limousine in black (I don't think I have this one)

This could also be good for the Trevelvers:

NJAG9001
Oxford Diecast
Jaguar MkIX cream/Imperial maroon (I can buy one, next month)

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 07:14:26 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything