!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 545798 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5760 on: March 04, 2019, 07:31:43 PM »
Many thanks, Martin for the continuation but Parks and Bligh went to a pub where they would not be seen or overheard so it would not have been the Wadebridge pub used by other railwaymen.
Aha. I’ll amed that later.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #5761 on: March 04, 2019, 08:35:56 PM »
Many thanks, Martin. Handovers can be difficult.

Cant Cove's yard shunter and "Castle Branch" pilot (one loco. fulfilling both duties most of the time out of season) varies between a 94xx pannier, a 74xx pannier, a Z Class 0-8-0T and a Drewry D2290 in plain BR green (ex-70C, 71A) shared with Trepol Bay, depending on whether BR WR or BR SR is supplying the loco.(s). (They take it in turns.) However, a WR BR diesel-mechanical shunter, D2388 BR green with wasp stripes, is due to arrive to replace D2290. So, Driver Parks needs to learn the small diesel-mechanical shunters.

With the 94xx, 8485 (83E), still at Swindon Works being overhauled, another older 94xx can be borrowed, as required. As the Exmouth Junction Z Class locos. were withdrawn by BR WR in 1962, CLPG preserved No. 30956, following its heavy general overhaul at Eastleigh Works, is now permanently at Cant Cove, replacing 7446 (83E; 8/50-4/62) lent to Cant Cove for nearly a year after withdrawal which has now gone to Swindon Works for its heavy general overhaul before preservation by the GWS (Bodmin). BR SR management has suggested that it may make D2283 in BR Green with Wasp Stripes available, on loan, to replace D2290 at Cant Cove. However, D2290 will still appear, occasionally, on short goods workings to / from Trepol Bay or to cover for the newer D2283, as required. In the Summer, two locos. are required at peak times at Penmayne and two at Wadebridge, one of these also covering the second loco. duty at Cant Cove, as required.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5762 on: March 05, 2019, 08:14:26 AM »
It was still quite dark, damp, cold and windy as Parks and Bligh met up on the platform at Wadebridge station.
There was only one other passenger waiting for the train and she looked as if she would rather be home in bed. It was one of thiose mornings that didn’t bode well for the rest of the day.
The two railwaymen both donned woolly hats puulled down hard over their heads wirg thick scarves wrapped around their chins. Both had heavy overcoats over their railway uniforms as they didn’t want to be recognised by the sole porter on duty or any of the train crew.
At 6.05 their train rumbled in, two elderly carriages hauled by a rather grubby prarie tank. Climbing into the rearmost compartment, Bligh said to Parks, “ No one recognised us, that’s good. In 15 minutes we’ll be at Trepol Bay. We’ll have a good twenty minutes to wander down to the locomen’s hut at the harbour entrance. I know the way and that gives us ample time. We’ve to meet chargehand, Ted Tompkins there, an old timer, a hard taskmaster but fair. Iused to play euchre against him a few years back in the Wednesday league”.
With that the train pulled away and they were on their way.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #5763 on: March 05, 2019, 10:09:01 AM »
Hi Chris and Martin,

Enjoying the stories and info.

Had to look up euchre though. I used to play whist years ago and read it's similar. Apparently it's possibly derived from Écarté, introduced to the West Country by French prisoners of War held in Dartmoor during the 19th Century.

You learn something every day. We'll have to have a 'cross the water' Breton - Cornish card competition in the future. I'm sure there are a few 'naughty' characters who would jump at the chance to get involved.

Great stuff,

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5764 on: March 05, 2019, 11:31:19 AM »
Hi Chris and Martin,

Enjoying the stories and info.

Had to look up euchre though. I used to play whist years ago and read it's similar. Apparently it's possibly derived from Écarté, introduced to the West Country by French prisoners of War held in Dartmoor during the 19th Century.

You learn something every day. We'll have to have a 'cross the water' Breton - Cornish card competition in the future. I'm sure there are a few 'naughty' characters who would jump at the chance to get involved.

Great stuff,

Cheers weave  :beers:
Euchre leagues (based in pubs and clubs) are common down here.
I guess aan Anglo / French competition could be interesting  :D

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5765 on: March 05, 2019, 02:21:18 PM »
Ted Tompkins was waiting for the two railwaymen at the entrance to the harbour , “Wecome lads”, he exclaimed cheerfully, “follow me, you can leave your cases in the old hut just down here. That way no one will wonder what’s up when we walk into the raillwaymen’s hut”.
Having deposited the cases, to be collected at the end of their shift, Parks and Bligh follwed Ted Tompkins to the railway hut.
“You know why you’re here”, he said, “I know why and I’m not here to judge but we’ll get straight to work. Driver Bligh, you need to get used to our 0-6-0 diesel mechanical shunter so all three of us will go up to the yard and we’ll do a bit of driver training. Mr Parks, it won’t do you any harm to get used to footplate work on a small shunter. You never know when it might come in handy so you can climb aboard too”.
The trio spent some two hours trundling around the yard, Andrew Parks climbing down regularly to operate the point levers.
At 9-30 it was time to take their first train down to the harbour. Tompkins spent some time with the guard ensuring he was familiar with the brake van but soon they were away.
As per regulations, speed was strictly limited to 4mph down the incline with a max limit f three box vans. Guard Parks keeping  full  control with his handbrake and getting used to the system of hand signals which he exchanged with Eddie Bligh.
Ted Tompkins kept a close eye on proceedings from the lineside. Smiling to himself he though, “These are two bright lads, I’ll have no problems with them”.
B1E291EF-4D0A-467D-97FE-7CD36DB99BAE by martin scane, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:33:46 AM by port perran »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5766 on: March 05, 2019, 02:26:29 PM »
8E81370D-C332-49EE-AFF6-7111630E03DF by martin scane, on Flickr
The three empty vans were part of the fleet owned by Messrs Prisk and Jones (Fruit and Veg Merchants) who had a small warehouse within the harbour complex.
Ted Tompkins knew that these were two good railwaymen having been tipped off by the Controller.
Things were going well.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:35:44 AM by port perran »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #5767 on: March 06, 2019, 09:05:49 AM »
Thank you, Martin, for the excellent photos. and accompanying text.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5768 on: March 06, 2019, 05:19:20 PM »
Eddie Bligh and guard Andrew Parks made a good team and soon got the hang of working the short trains up and down the harbour incline.
All too quickly, at 4-00 pm, their shift was over and they reported to Ted Tompkins in his little harbourside office. “Well done lads” , he greeted them, “You’ve done a great job. Go and collect your bags from the hut then book into the astation Hotel. They serve a really good pint there and the food is excellent. I’ll see you in here at 7.00 in the morning”.
With that Bligh and Parks made there way up the road and approached the Station Hotel.
73CAE8D9-2DA7-4FCE-BF34-ABB456C4752F by martin scane, on Flickr
“Looks nice”, Eddie remarked, “Let’s go and get booked in and I’ll see you in the bar at 5.30 if that’s ok with you?”
“Too right it is” replied Andrew, “I’ve worked up quite a thirst”.
The two opened the main door to be greeted by the smiling landlady , Alice Tridinnick, “Welcome lads, you must be the pair from Wadebridge. You are in rooms 3 and 4 just up the stairs on the left. Evening meal is from 6.30 and breakfast in the morning starts at 5-30”.
The two settled into their respective rooms and both enjoyed a leisurely soak.
Eddie was first down to the bar, finding a table. He waited for Guard Parks to appear before ordering.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:32:52 PM by port perran »

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5769 on: March 06, 2019, 06:10:48 PM »

The two settled in and both enjoyed a leisurely soak in the bath.

Err .................. same bath?  ??? :o
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5770 on: March 06, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »

The two settled in and both enjoyed a leisurely soak in the bath.

Err .................. same bath?  ??? :o
Ha Ha........This is a family forum.  :D
No.....seperate rooms . I’ll make a slight alteration to avoid any misunderstanding  :worried:

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5771 on: March 06, 2019, 06:26:42 PM »
Phew! Thank goodness for that. I know they spend a lot of time together, but, as you say, this is a family forum.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5772 on: March 06, 2019, 06:41:30 PM »
As per regulations, speed was strictly limited to 4mph down the incline with a max limit f three box vans. Guard Parks keeping  full  control with his handbrake and getting used to the system of hand signals which he exchanged with Eddie Bligh.
Ted Tompkins kept a close eye on proceedings from the lineside.
I assumed they pinned down the brakes on the wagons, like on the Lickey Incline.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5773 on: March 07, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »
Eddie Bligh and Andrew Parks settled down to a pint each of Trawlerman Ale. “How did it go today?”, asked Ediie.
“It was fine”, replied Andrew. “I learned a lot and actually I enjoyed it. I wonder if they have anything different lined up for us during the rest of the week?”
“I don’t know”, said Eddie,, taking a slurp of his beer, “But I’ve worked up a bit of a hunger. I hope the food is good”.
With that the pair were called into the restaurant. No doubt they would enjoy a fine meal.

Meanwhile, back in his harbourside office, Ted Tompkins picked up his telephone and dialled a Plymouth number………

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5774 on: March 07, 2019, 05:35:37 PM »
William Wickham, well known as the Fat Controller by Railwaymen answered at the second ring. , “William Wickham, BR Plymouth HQ , General Manager speaking, how may I be of assistance please?”
Ted Tompkins replied very simply , “Good Evening Bill it’s Ted here, how are you?”
“Oh hello Ted, good to hear from you. Yes  I’m very well indeed thank you but please, I’m anxious to know, how did Driver Bligh and Guard Parks get on today?”
“They were first class”, came the reply, “To be perfectly honest, they are indeed top class railwaymen and supremely professional. By the end of the day  Bligh was handling the little shunter as though he’d been driving it for years and Parks performed his duties to the book”.
“Excellent news”, purred the controller, “Excellent indeed. Can you keep them busy on harbour duties for two more days? That’ll take us up to Wednesday evening and will give me time to arrange things at my end. The contract I discussed with you yesterday will be signed by myself and the customer tomorrow at mid day. I’ll then arrange for the new locomotive to be driven up to Trepol Bay in the afternoon on Wednesday. Hopefully, we can get Bligh to have a familiarisation session on Thursday morning. I may even pop up myself. It is most important that we have our very best driver and guard in charge of the inaugural train in two weeks time. I’m hopeful, indeed I’m expecting, Bligh and Parks to be the crew on day one”.
Ted Tompkins allowed himself a gentle smile. It would be a feather in his cap if the new service started and continued without a hitch.  “Thank you sir, I think you’ve made a good choice. I expect to be in a position to run a trial service on Monday of next week. It’ll only be a few vans but it’ll get the pair of them used to the duty”.
“Indeed, indeed”, came the reply, “Good work Tompkins.  I have a good feeling about this. I’ll see you on Thursday all being well”. With that the Controller said his goodbyes and sat back, contentedly, in his chair.    Things were working out very well.

Back at the Station Hotel, Trepol Bay, Bligh and Parks had enjoyed a splendid meal, finishing with a nightcap of Scotch Whisky.
“You know” said Parks, “This Tuillibardine 18 year old Is probably the best single malt I’ve ever tasted. The nose is soft and fruity, with the slightest hint of heather and on the palate I’m getting apple and plum with just a touch of saltiness. The finish is long and satisfying with a certain rich  spiciness at the end. Simply sublime”.
“I agree”, nodded Eddie Bligh, not really knowing what the guard was blabbering on  about. “It tastes good to me, I’m certainly going to sleep well tonight”.
The pair nattered and reminisced for 20 minutes enjoying their drinks before retiring to their rooms for the night.
“See you for breakfast first thing. I’m looking forward to a full Cornish”  said Bligh as they climbed up the stairs to their rooms.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:43:35 PM by port perran »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here