!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 469714 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5685 on: February 11, 2019, 02:09:00 PM »
I remember seeing the occasional ex-GWR diesel railcar in the Birmingham Snow Hill area as late as circa 1959.  They were chocolate and cream.  I don't recall seeing any BR DMUs at Snow Hill at that time, although there were several to be seen at New Street.  Both stations still had steam-hauled suburban stock running, 2-6-4 tanks from New Street and Prairies from Snow Hill.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5686 on: February 11, 2019, 02:32:22 PM »
I donít recall seeing an6 of the GWR railcard but my combined volume does list three as seen by me.
Were they broken up at Swindon? If so, that is most likely where I saw them. I made, I believe, my first trip to Swindon works aged 7 (that would have been 1961) so I suppose the dates would work?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #5687 on: February 11, 2019, 09:26:04 PM »
As services return to normal (March 1963 -- I'm ahead), the accustomed sight of a T9 at the head of a Maunsell 2P local set working between Wadebridge and Penmaynbe can be enjoyed, again, at Cant Cove.

No. 30313 catches the sun as it crosses the bridge over the inlet to Cant Cove.

[I really must add a driver and fireman in the cab.]

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #5688 on: February 11, 2019, 09:37:31 PM »
[I really must add a driver and fireman in the cab.]

Why bother when everything is going driverless, these days!  :D

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5689 on: February 11, 2019, 09:53:16 PM »
Back to the fascinating topic of the ex-GWR diesel railcars. They certainly operated in the West Midlands well into BR WR days. However, during the 1950s, Laurence, they would all have been repainted in BR Crimson & Cream livery, certainly by 1959, if they had already not been repainted in BR diesel unit green, first, the lighter shade then, later, the darker colour. (A few retained BR Crimson & Cream livery to the end.) One service they operated was to Dudley, the 'Dudley Dodger'. Later replaced by a BR Single-Unit diesel railcar. BR Swindon Cross-Country DMUs, operating as 2 x 3-car sets and, sometimes with an ordinary coach as a hauled load, were common at Snow Hill.

Some were, indeed, cut up at BR Swindon Works and photos. exist so that could well be where Martin saw his three, in 1961, when withdrawals were well under way as branchlines closed.

In January 1959, 84F Stourbridge Junction still had a fleet (they had all gone by 1960) but 84D Leamington Spa had some, instead. Tyseley never had an allocation, apart from Nos. 2 and 4, new, in GWR days. W7W, W8W and W15W were withdrawn from 84F (01/1959), leaving W13W and W14W (at 84D by April 1960). Express Parcels Car W17W was withdrawn from 84D (01/1959). W13W was withdrawn from 86A, 08/1960, and W14W withdrawn from 84F, 08/1960. [There seem to be some discrepancies in allocation histories.]

By autumn 1960, the survivors were all in the (81) London Division, (82) Bristol Division, or the (85) Worcester Division at: 81C, 81D, 82B, 85A and 85B.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:02:30 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5690 on: February 12, 2019, 01:53:14 PM »
20 and 28 were the two that I have underlined in my Combined Volume.
20 is now at the Kent & E Sussex Railway and 28 lasted (I think) till 1962 so it is reasonable to assume that I may well have seen these two at Swindon.
I donít however recall it but my interest was in steam so I probably just noted down the numbers and moved on. (I was only 7 or 8).
It is interesting that of the 38 examples, 5 were destroyed by fire. Obviously not the safest of machines.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5691 on: February 14, 2019, 08:52:55 PM »
W28W carried BR Crimson & Cream, had (later) a white cab roof and a dark grey main roof. It was allocated to 82B Bristol St. Philips Marsh and was withdrawn 09/1960. It was used on the Portishead branch being photographed at the (then) ultra-modern station in 1954.

Many did end up at Swindon Works, for example, in BR DMU Green, ex-GW Twin unit W33W/W38W was photographed, withdrawn, behind the stock shed at Swindon, 12/8/62. They were also photographed, 1962, at Worcester outside the diesel railcar depot. Railcars W33W and W38W were also photographed at Worcester Tunnel Junction 15/3/61. Despite not being able to find that they were ever allocated to 85A (being allocated to 81D), there are photos. of them working on Bromyard branch to Worcester services in October and November 1961.

The fires were all under the main body but there was no fire-resistant floor (let alone fire suppression equipment in situ) so it was, as you write, Martin, not unknown for vehicles to be completely burnt out, I don't thank anyone was injured, let alone killed in such fires. Presumably, there was enough warning to evacuate everyone in time.

The 5 fire victims were:

9 Already withdrawn from 81F (05/1946)
10 Already withdrawn from 81D (04/1956); (BR Crimson & Cream, 06.1952)
35+36 Already withdrawn from 82A (04/1957)
37 Already stored (1947) then withdrawn from 82A (09/1949)

Using 21st-century technology, courtesy of the TARDIS, all the preserved examples, in North and West Cornwall, have had fire-resistant floors and fire suppression equipment fitted, in the ex-Admiralty cellar workshops under Trevelver Castle, after conventional body overhauls and repaints at Worcester Works. In the Castle workshops, the diesel railcar body is lifted from the underframe and the new underfloor and fire suppression equipment fitted before reuniting the body with the chassis. Of course, after that, they can never be returned to Swindon Works!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5692 on: February 17, 2019, 11:49:15 AM »
D6313 caught some early Spring sunshine on a special train to West Devon.

URL=https://s1060.photobucket.com/user/chrisinprague/media/2019-02-07%2015.07.00_zpsivg7doqd.jpg.html][/URL]

The train was moved of three bogie vans: Inside Framed Siphon G GWR Brown "Palethorpeís Royal Cambridge" bogie van No. 2766, Inside Framed Siphon G W2936W in BR Maroon [Crimson], and BR Crimson & Cream BR Standard Full Brake Coach BG W80705.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:07:31 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5693 on: February 17, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »
Nice photos Chris. A nice colurful collection of vans.
I particularly like the top picture - very atmospheric.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5694 on: February 17, 2019, 12:10:32 PM »
Thank you, Martin. The first picture is one of my favourites, too. Real sunshine makes such a difference compared with artificial lighting.

Given some free time and more of the early Spring sunshine we're currently enjoying I hope to catch up with some of your recent photos., soon.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #5695 on: February 18, 2019, 09:32:59 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:  :thankyousign:
     regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5696 on: February 19, 2019, 06:54:09 AM »
Thank you, Derek. When I have some free time and sunshine, I'll post some more photos. However, first, I need to post the previously promised pictures of the 'scratch sets' of coaches formes in the aftermath of the very severe winter.

Here, one of the GWS (Bodmin)'s preserved 4575 Class 2-6-2Ts is seen crossing the Cant Cove bridge with a local service to Penmayne formed of 2 BR WR Chocolate & Brown BR Standard coaches taken from one of the local mainline rakes: a BCK and a BSK, with an ex-works BR Crimson Siphon G. and a Conflat with two white insulated containers containing fresh fish loaded at Trepol Bay.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:55:46 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5697 on: February 19, 2019, 08:50:28 PM »
An enthusiasts' special, from Perthshire, was the first special train of 1963 to arrive at Wadebridge, via the WR mainline and Bodmin Road, returning via the SR mainline and the S&D. As is usual, a portion was worked to and from Wadebridge to either Port Perran, Trepol Bay, or even Truro, depending on timings whilst the front portion went on to Penmayne. Photos. are expected, soon.

A much delayed special train from Eastleigh Works for the CLPG, Cant Cove & Penmayne branches, is also expected but still not confirmed.

Lastly, Cant Cove will, very unusually, be seen in 1967, soon, featuring a brand new BR SR coach.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5698 on: February 22, 2019, 05:32:09 PM »
The last few photos. of March 1963, after the snow had, finally, all melted.

Local favourite, T9 No. 30313 on a 'scratch set' forming a Penmayne to Wadebridge working. The first two coaches are truly a 'scratch set' formed of whatever the Wadebridge Yardmaster, Bill Truscott, could put into service, will be worked forward from Wadebridge to Trepol Bay, as part of a local service, by another loco.

The train is formed of a CLPG preserved Southern Railway livery non-corridor composite and

a Maunell composite, very unusually, still in BR Crimson & Cream.

Plus the through portion of a Waterloo train, detached at Wadebridge formed of a BR SR Green BR Standard CK and BCK. (There must be a lot of returning 1st Class passengers.)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:33:15 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #5699 on: February 22, 2019, 10:30:21 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
     Thanks Chris, all looking good
   regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.00