!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 617542 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5520 on: December 24, 2018, 04:45:11 PM »
Lovely pictures there Chris
That 45xx in GWR livery looks particularly fetching I feel.

Thank you, Martin. A Very Merry Christmas! I look forward to more stories from your lines, too. I agree. I prefer the GWR branding, then GREAT WESTERN but not the shirt button roundel and, of course, on GWR green. I was fortunate that No. 5531 (which did not need renumbering either) was certainly not more than £75 and I think, much less, second-hand on eBay some time ago.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:25:59 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5521 on: December 25, 2018, 11:19:55 AM »
Having alerted the locals and RAF St Mawgan, an experiment in floodlighting an area using searchlights and a highly reflective helium balloon was conducted over Cant Cove, on Sunday, December 23rd, enabling these photos. of the Christmas special 4PM from London Waterloo, arriving at Wadebridge at 11.31PM, where a portion for Trepol Bay was quickly detached, before proceeding to Cant Cove (11.38-40) then terminating at Penmayne at 11.44.

The tired but happy "Chelsea Girls" and their friends are in their reserved First Class seats in the leading, seasonally decorated FO next to the train's similarly decorated SR buffet car, staffed by local volunteers managed, by the sous chef from the "The Station Hotel", Cant Cove. A portion of the profits go to that year's chosen charity, Dr. Barnados. A special loco. is always booked for the 4PM, but the Wadebridge Yardmaster has arranged for Exmouth Junction to roster a favourite one for the 23rd, as can be seen!

It is, indeed, No. 73068, unofficially named the "Green Dragon" although a request to name it, (in the same style as "Camelot"), is under active consideration by BR. The "Green Dragon" put in a sparkling performance from Exeter Central where it replaced the "N". The jovial Penmayne guard, relieving his Exeter equivalent, tipped off the "Girls" that they should get out and see what had just been coupled to their FO. Feeling more than a little jolly by this time, the girls donned their coats, scarves and hats and gathered around the immaculate lamp-lit loco., clapping their mittened hands in glee! "Oh, oh, it's our very own 'Green Dragon' " they cried in joyful unison, jumping up and down.

"Indeed, it is, young misses", the beaming driver, replied, "specially booked for you! It is our way of thanking you all for all your hard work to help save our railways."

"She looks . . . beautiful," exclaimed Eli.

"A party of volunteers was busy cleaning and polishing her, all this morning," the young fireman grinned.

"They were kept refreshed by Christmas ales from your local breweries," laughed the driver. "But, it's time to board, we're about ready to depart!"

Sure enough, the guard had reached his compartment in the Bogie B at the rear and was preparing to board then stand in the inward opening door, blow his whistle and wave his bright green flag.

The leading BR Standard FO, on arrival at Cant Cove.

URL=http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/chrisinprague/media/2018-12-21%2012.20.44_zpspkyxxed0.jpg.html][/URL]

Followed by the brand new RMB.

URL=http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/chrisinprague/media/2018-12-21%2012.20.52_zpsoaohqqnb.jpg.html][/URL]

The RFO.

URL=http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/chrisinprague/media/2018-12-21%2012.20.57_zpseycy9boq.jpg.html][/URL]

The SK.

And the Bogie B carrying last-minute Christmas mails and the early editions of the Christmas Eve newspapers.

Christmas 1962 had truly begun!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 11:36:03 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5522 on: December 25, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
I'm not sure about Green Dragon.  With that beautiful rake of SR green coaches behind it, myabe it should be the Green Snake!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5523 on: December 25, 2018, 11:44:37 AM »
Excellent photos.
Merry Christmas to all at Cant Cove and Penmayne.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5524 on: December 25, 2018, 03:02:20 PM »
Thank you, Martin. Wishing you, and all at Port Perran, Trepol Bay, and Tregonning, a Very Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year, and to all visitors and NGF members. Having safely arrived, two days ago, at my good friends' in eastern Slovakia, where there is only a light coat of snow, tomorrow, I have to return to Prague. However, this week, I will add some more photos., especially 'through' running ones to match yours as well as some new ones.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 06:39:34 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #5525 on: December 25, 2018, 05:23:31 PM »
Looking good, Chris.

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,
Michael

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5526 on: December 25, 2018, 05:37:43 PM »
Looking good, Chris.

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,
Michael

Thank you, Michael. I wish you the same. I hope all is well.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #5527 on: December 25, 2018, 08:19:15 PM »
Festive greetings!
Another nice set of photos. The helium baloon has certainly reflected the search lights well.
I hope you enjoyed your brief stay with friends and look forward to seeing more photos. When I've recovered from todays over indulged festivities (diet tomorrow) I shall post photos of movements around Withy and Durscombe.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5528 on: December 25, 2018, 08:41:17 PM »
Many thanks, Brian. The same to both of you. I'm in the process of changing from my old Lenovo notebook to my new Acer one for a variety of reasons and that is taking up time. I still have one set of student assignments to grade when I get back and various other tasks for January but I hope to take and post more photos., too, and write more story text, also post some a couple more parcels after New Year. I have sorted out my surplus coaches already. I still have photos. of a free-Xmas parcels train, with through portions for Withy and Durscombe, plus Trepol Bay and Port Perran to post.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #5529 on: December 25, 2018, 08:48:19 PM »
Hi Chris,

Hope you had a great day today. Thank you for all your pics, info and stories over the last year and always looking forward to more next year.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

PS. Brian, as it's Christmas, can't help saying that your last sentence has 'Carry On Mito' written all over it  :) Sorry, blaming the Calvados. Santé, hic.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5530 on: December 25, 2018, 09:13:58 PM »
Hi Chris (Weave),

Thanks. I wish you the same. I hope there will be plenty more pics, info and stories to come in 2019.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5531 on: December 25, 2018, 09:23:17 PM »
In the build-up to Christmas, parcels trains become longer and more frequent. Here are photos. of one such early in Christmas week with through portions to Withy and Durscombe, plus Trepol Bay and Port Perran. Detailed captions, later.

A 'foreign' 'N', No. 31811, has worked up from Trepol Bay to Penmayne and is now returning...

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5532 on: December 26, 2018, 07:41:28 AM »
That's a nice variety of stock in the parcels train.  I hope all the parcels were delivered in time for Christmas. :)
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5533 on: December 26, 2018, 06:39:29 PM »
That's a nice variety of stock in the parcels train.  I hope all the parcels were delivered in time for Christmas. :)

Thank you, Laurence. Yes, all the various parcels coaches reached their destinations in time for the GP to deliver all the mail and parcels. The Fruit D and Collett BG worked to Bodmin Road and then up the WR mainline, the SR Bogie B worked through to Trepl Bay, and the Siphon G to Port Perran, whilst the last three worked through to Withy Junction and Durscombe, where the Hawksworth BG was detached, whilst the last two, travelled on the S&D to the LMR and ER, respectively

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5534 on: December 26, 2018, 06:53:04 PM »
News of the ex-GER, but beautifully restored in LNER Apple Green livery, B12/3 (rebuilt from 1932 with larger diameter boilers), in Cornwall, working special trains from Truro to Wadebridge and return, and even as far as Exeter, also brought a special train from Withy Junction and Durscombe formed of Hawksworth parcels and passenger stock and worked by a 'foreign' 'N', borrowed by Exmouth Junction, from Exeter Central to Wadebridge and then Penmayne where the train was cleaned and serviced. As with other specials, from and to Wadebridge the otherwise empty train worked in the path of scheduled BR SR services. The BG was carrying Christmas mail plus extra supplies of Sam's Cider to see the area through Christmas, New Year, and January.

Another tail load of two vacuum-braked wagons, a Conflat with two small Insulated Containers and an Insulated Van, conveying fresh fish and shellfish from Trepol Bay harbour, worked by a local service to Wadebridge, for the North Cornish traditional Christmas Eve fish dinners was added at Wadebridge.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal