!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 587401 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2014, 09:35:37 AM »
Good grief, Mike. Now THAT would result in grossly over scale door heights!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:38:42 AM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2014, 09:40:46 AM »
Another sunny calm day. Time, soon, to finish washing in warm water the remaining kit parts prior to spray painting with Tamiya grey undercoat! Very therapeutic not to have to use my brain! 8-)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2014, 07:20:58 PM »
The first time I have spray painted anything; three lessons: 1) small can of Tamiya aerosol undercoat paint does not go a long way. 2) Spray painting something with only faint details (some plastic rough stone sheets) too enthusiastically results in loss of detail. I hope I can remove some of the excess coating. Other spraypainted items came up well; especially the Atlas oblong girder bridge which I may leave in matt grey and just weather? 3) even outdoors wearing a facemask is advisable.

Now, I'm hoping that the local Tesco megastore will have matt aerosol grey or white paint in stock in the car maintenance section so that I can undercoat all the other items painstakingly washed. However, although the shade of undercoat grey is unlikely to match I'm hoping that the application of the top coat of 'granite grey' (assuming I can find a suitable shade in sufficient quantity) on all items will resolve that problem.

Offline CarriageShed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2014, 08:50:15 PM »
The first time I have spray painted anything; three lessons: 1) small can of Tamiya aerosol undercoat paint does not go a long way. 2) Spray painting something with only faint details (some plastic rough stone sheets) too enthusiastically results in loss of detail. I hope I can remove some of the excess coating. Other spraypainted items came up well; especially the Atlas oblong girder bridge which I may leave in matt grey and just weather? 3) even outdoors wearing a facemask is advisable.

:D

I did my first spray undercoating back in January or February, in a custom-made cardboard box 'studio' in the utility room in my house. It seemed to go okay, and the few tiny gaps were filled with a bit of acrylic undercoat. The real trick is to get that side-to-side spray just right so that you don't swamp the item with paint!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2014, 09:14:15 PM »
Yes, Pete. The problems were due to me not spraying from side to side all the time when the first spray over did not seem to be covering well. Still i hope I can remove the extra paint with a cloth soaked in thinners, tomorrow. All good experience. 8-)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2014, 06:28:15 PM »
The 'oversprayed' areas don't look too bad on most of the various moulded plastic sheets so, for now, I'll leave them as they are. It's only undercoat after all. If, after the top coat the detail does not seem prominent enough it'll be out with a rag and plenty of thinners!

Alas, the weather has totally changed: cool, overcast, and plenty of rain, today. However, a trip to the local Tesco hypermarket produced (with much else) two aerosol cans of matt grey acrylic car paint undercoat that I'm eager to try out so I sprayed a few test pieces, this evening. However, once again, I'm finding I use an awful lot of paint! Even spraying side to side.

The revised baseboard for Cant Cove should be delivered, by my landlord, at the end of this week. After checking my bank account, it will be time to order the Peco Code 55 track and remaining points. Meanwhile, next week, I hope to get started on constructing the buildings after all the undercoat spraypainting. Some more rough stone and concrete platform edge pieces should also be arriving. However, another trip to the model shop for more paints will be required plus a trip to another, recommended, Prague model shop I've yet to visit to buy more modelmaker's materials like balsa wood. I also need some big pots of glue for the insulation board layers and the grass sheets.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:31:57 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »
The 'oversprayed' areas don't look too bad on most of the various moulded plastic sheets so, for now, I'll leave them as they are. It's only undercoat after all. If, after the top coat the detail does not seem prominent enough it'll be out with a rag and plenty of thinners!

I also need some big pots of glue for the insulation board layers and the grass sheets.
Lots of thinners on plastic=   wet, soft, sticky ruined plastic.
Best bulk glue is PVA, available in a wide variety of shops
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2014, 07:29:19 PM »
Many thanks for the warning, John, re: thinners and PVA glue. I'll experiment on some scrap plastic, first, with removing excess paint with thinners.

I think the Prague modelmaker's supplies shop (a friend of a friend makes architect's models and passed on the recommendation) will either have suitable glue or can tell me what brand of PVA to buy in a DIY store.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:48:15 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »
After using up the two cans of acrylic off-white (it says grey on the cans but it isn't) I have most of the plastic kit parts, etc. undercoated and drying overnight on the floor of the car porch. I think I'll buy two more cans as there are still some items left and more at home. The fumes seem to be less strong than the Tamiya aerosol grey undercoat paint and, in the warm weather, here, the acrylic paint dries almost as quickly as the far more expensive Tamiya paint does. So, I'm pretty pleased, so far. Maybe a couple of items got oversprayed in a few places but this can be remedied I think without excessive use of thinners.

On my return, I think I will see if I can buy some 'granite grey' spray paint (maybe Wehrmacht grey?) from the plastic kit shop as I have a lot of buildings that will be built from dark stone. The granite grey will then be overpainted with different coloured stones (I have colour pictures of Bodmin General station building as a guide) then carefully weathered with drybrushed matt black after the mortar has been added with runny dirty white paint. Next will be the problem of mixing my own approximation for BR SR Green and Cream.  :hmmm:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:46:23 PM by Chris in Prague »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2014, 09:08:22 PM »
Hopefully you can get get a good approximation of LSWR green/cream. I will face the same problem with Trepol Bay. If you go for a slightly weathered approach, I feel that the green/cream doesn't need to be too exact as it will end up somewhat off colour with grime.
Being a volunteer at the Bodmin & Wenford Railway, I know that they experimented with the green(in particular)/cream (particularly for Boscarne Junction) to get the correct colour.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Thanks, Martin, that's good to know. I'm planning to add some matt white to my attempt at BR SR Green and Cream as colours in N Scale need to be lighter anyway. The station buildings will be freshly painted ready for the summer season but the goods shed and loco shed I'm planning to look more weathered, particularly the loco. shed as it is supposed to be ex-BR and used by the local preservation society who have not had time to repaint it! So, that will be at least two batches of paint to be mixed up. I have a Humbrol cream but need to buy a suitable Humbrol gloss green from the plastic kit shop and a gloss yellow. I have Humbrol matt grey and matt black. I have tiny little plastic pots for mixing paint in ready, too.

My first kit-bashing 'job' will be converting Peco railbuilt bufferstops to approximations of LSWR and SR pattern ones by replacing the bufferbeams with plasticard ones as they are very distinctive. I will post the details for you and Christopher.

The Ratio engine shed will also be kit-bashed as will the coaling stage and water tank. The distinctive LSWR goods shed will be scratchbuilt.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »
Everything that I brought with me has now been spraypainted with undercoat and nearly everything dried very nicely. (Just a little paint left in the last of the four acrylic grey car undercoat spray cans bought locally.) After I return to Prague it will be time to paint the top coats of 'granite grey' for all the walls and 'slate grey' for all the roofs. Then it will be time for kit-building / kit-bashing / scratch-building with, I plan, plenty of pictures. after construction will come painting of random stone blocks in different colours, painting in mortar, then weathering.

To be built are:
Ratio Weighbridge and Office
Ratio Loco Shed -- to be adapted to look more like the one formerly at Bodmin General / St. Ives
Ratio Loco Servicing Depot --parts used to look like Bude Loco Shed's coaling platform
Ratio Cattle Pen -- parts used to look like typical NCR one
Ratio Water Tower -- parts used to look like typical stone-built NCR one, e.g. Halwill Jn.
Peco Platform Edging -- rough stone and concrete -- will need to be curved
Ratio Station Building Canopy -- to be adapted to look more like typical NCR one
Peco SR Concrete Platelayers' Hut
Peco SR Concrete Footbridge -- not brought so will be spraypainted in Prague
Ratio Coal Depot -- not brought so will be spraypainted in Prague
Peco SR Concrete Panel Walls and Gates -- not brought so will be spraypainted in Prague
To ensure the colours look the same for the platform edging (I had to order some more) I will buy another can of Tamiya grey undercoat.

Other items like bridges and tunnel mouths have all been spraypainted so I have a big choice. One pair of bridges will have to be adapted for the old mineral tramway bridge with a slope -- I have a picture of a suitable Cornish stone-built bridge.

I have plenty of granite walling sections ready.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:41:34 AM by Chris in Prague »

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2014, 11:31:57 AM »
Sounds like you've got plenty to do. :)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2014, 01:23:22 PM »
Sounds like you've got plenty to do. :)

Yes, John, but I'm looking forward to doing it. I have about 5 free weeks and will be working on a 'production line' basis: one colour / process at a time for all the buildings which should save time and ensure colour consistency. (I hope.)

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »
Sounds like a sensible approach.  Looking forward to seeing the results.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal