!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 534520 times)

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #1110 on: January 03, 2015, 11:04:54 PM »
I've being giving it some thought and I'm sticking to late summer 1962.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1111 on: January 04, 2015, 07:34:23 AM »
A good choice, Jon. The scenery in Cant Cove will look like early summer: the first weekend of the Summer timetable and before the grass turns yellow!

1962 allows a very good mix of steam and diesel motive power. Examples of most WR and SR locos. were still running plus there was still considerable goods and passenger traffic. Also in 1962 most lines in Cornwall were still open.

1963 and 1964 are less interesting. The whole of the Southern Region west of Salisbury was handed over to the Western Region from 1st January 1963 which then, in April 1964, proposed closing some lines including the route from Okehampton to Wadebridge. On 7th September 1964, the WR withdrew the goods services from Okehampton, Wadebridge (NCL) and Padstow and re-opened the Lifton-Launceston line for goods traffic only, with goods running to Wadebridge from Bodmin Road. The writing was really on the wall as ex-Southern Region passenger services were seriously depleted and only ran to Exeter St Davids where they connected with trains to Paddington (though for a final summer Bude had a through Saturday service to Paddington) although many journey times were, in fact, quicker. On 1st January 1965, North Cornwall lost all its steam power as services were dieselised.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1112 on: January 04, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
I'm planning two maps, now; one of the area around Wadebridge and one of the railways in Cornwall. I'm thinking that the map of the Camet Trail www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/camel-trail as it shows contours and level routes (for cycles, of course) is a good guide for the the area around Wadebridge.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1113 on: January 05, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »
Here is the second, revised draft of the alternative North Cornwall Railway network featuring Cant Cove, Fox Hole Halt, Penmayne, Trepol Bay, and Weaver Cove as well as the North Cornwall Extension Railway from Wadebridge to Newquay:

Now I have to update the map of all Cornwall's railways.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1114 on: January 06, 2015, 08:24:58 AM »
Eastleigh has just sent a special train of old stock to Wadebridge for forwarding to Cant Cove (a freshly overhauled SR non-corridor twin-set for the Summer only Cant Cove shuttle service from/to Wadebridge - Penmayne), three SR 6-plank open wagons (for the Castle Estates), and an old wooden-bodied horsebox) plus, for the branchline service to/from Wadebridge to Fox Hole Halt (a second overhauled SR non-corridor twin-set, one carriage of which has been restored to Southern Railway livery for enthusiast specials). Cant Cove's twin-set has already been booked for the Easter steam specials from Penmayne to Wadebridge and Bodmin / Trepol Bay. Picture, below, of one of Wadebridge's pair of 57XXs taking the first train to Cant Cove:

Why two of the windows in the guard's compartment have been white-washed (and on one side only) has everyone puzzled!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:56:08 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #1115 on: January 06, 2015, 11:04:33 AM »
Here is the second, revised draft of the alternative North Cornwall Railway network featuring Cant Cove, Fox Hole Halt, Penmayne, Trepol Bay, and Weaver Cove as well as the North Cornwall Extension Railway from Wadebridge to Newquay:

Where is Port Perran?- I can't see it

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1116 on: January 06, 2015, 11:15:26 AM »
Port Perran is off the Newquay - Chacewater - Truro line. I have to finish the second map of the railways of Cornwall which will show it.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1117 on: January 06, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »

Where is Port Perran?- I can't see it

Just to clarify, what Chris has kindly done is shown on this map what was the old North Cornwall line(s) which were largely LSWR territory and includes the fictitious stations of Cant Cove, Penmayne, Weaver Cove, Trepol bay and Foxhole.
Port Perran will be on Chris' second map which will show (I think) all of the Cornwall lines (including the fictitious ones).
Port Perran is very much in GWR territory and is on an imaginary spur off of the former Truro to Newquay line (closed in the early 60s) which ran from Truro-Chacewater-Blackwater-St Agnes-Perranporth-Goonhavern and on to Newquay.
Hope this helps ??
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1118 on: January 07, 2015, 09:14:58 PM »
I've sorted out the two job lots of 'N Scale' (some are not; the 00 Scale wagon loads are on eBay) accessories bought from eBay Germany:

Here are the loose wooden strips which will be cut down as wagon loads with cotton 'ropes' super-glued to them:

Here are the highlights, a very varied selection of plastic crates, casks and barrels (much cheaper than the brand new ones, far fewer per pack, too, I recently bought):

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:21:12 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1119 on: January 07, 2015, 10:19:43 PM »
And here are some of the latest wagons and vans for repainting:

Roofs already removed for spraypainting.

Wagons awaiting painting / final painting and refitting of couplings and roofs.

Offline Bob Wild

• Awards
« Reply #1120 on: January 07, 2015, 10:53:57 PM »
Here are the loose wooden strips which will be cut down as wagon loads with cotton 'ropes' super-glued to them:

Here are the already prepared loads of wood which still need to be cut to shape to fit the Peco long-wheelbase wagons (like the unpainted one in the photo.):

Those look good - I need something like that for the junk around my colliery. You've given me a few ideas.

Bob

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1121 on: January 07, 2015, 11:11:52 PM »
I'm happy to provide you with inspiration, Bob. I was also looking for different sized pieces of wood so these were a bonus. After November 5th, on my way to school, I used to collect the sticks from 'dead' rockets I found. They were good, straight pieces of wood.

Offline Bob Wild

• Awards
« Reply #1122 on: January 07, 2015, 11:50:31 PM »
I was also looking for different sized pieces of wood so these were a bonus.

and I've just used the circular body of a biro to make the steam tank. I was able to use the end plugs from another to make the dome shaped ends! I'm currently looking for an old wind up clock to use the gears as the worn out bits of the winding mechanism that were always left around . Trouble is, there don't seem many around these days [clocks, that is].

Bob

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1123 on: January 08, 2015, 09:21:25 AM »
Good, creative thinking, Bob. The empty ink tube from a biro can be cut up and used for chimney pots.

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #1124 on: January 08, 2015, 10:21:13 AM »
Thanks for the inspiration, Chris.  I'm currently feeling pretty under the weather; I can't do much but I am making a few wagon loads using bits I've got lying around.

So far I've done some timber loads using old matchsticks and I'm now working on a ballast load and some mineral loads using bits of old card and some scenic material I bought in a cheap job lot last year (or was it the year before?).

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here