!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 522155 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #1035 on: December 06, 2014, 08:22:48 PM »
Yes I love the babies too. I get very tempted by all the different running numbers from Dapol, but can't really justify more than one.
I have "Dragon" too Chris....I might eventually go for a maroon one too.

I am planning to have my D814 renumbered and renamed (as I did with my Maroon "Warship") to one known to have worked over the North Cornwall line.

I have read that "Warships" as well as "Hymeks" worked the Paddington - Bude trains the last summer the line was open. A mixed rake of BR Maroon ex-LMSR Stanier-design coaches and BR Standard Mark 1s was used.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:32:57 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1036 on: December 06, 2014, 08:30:13 PM »

Just to report that those 4 new wagons have had quite a few circuits of my Port Perran layout this evening (hope you don't mind!), plus a run up to Trepol Bay.
They look good running first behind the Black Motor and later the Hymek and should be a very nice addition to your stock (especially when repainted and rebranded).

No problem, Martin, please, run them whenever you like and want to take a photo. of them with your "Hymek". I am glad that they not only reached Port Perran but also Trepol Bay and hope that one of those grain hoppers will return, regularly to Trepol Bay! I think they will look at home in North Cornwall when I have completed them, next month (I plan).

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1037 on: December 10, 2014, 07:50:36 PM »
A further batch of redundant wagons (indeed, an interesting selection!) has been moved up to Port Perran and Trepol Bay for eventual onward movement to Cant Cove (where they will be restored and repainted).
This batch of three wagons has come up to Port Perran from the Helston Branch via Gwinnear Road and Redruth (where they were held at Drump Road sidings for a few days).
The wagons will, in a few days, be moved on to Trepol Bay where they will be stored with other wagons (which came up from Penzance  last week) for eventual onward movement to Cant Cove where (no doubt) the Castle Estates painters will get to work.
The train is seen here (somewhat unusually, behind a Hymek) having just left Lanharrack (where it was held to allow a local passenger train to pass) en-route to Port Perran :
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1038 on: December 10, 2014, 08:00:51 PM »
Many thanks, Martin. I agree they are an eclectic collection! But they will all be repainted in Castle Estates blue livery. That's a particularly nice picture which shows a lovely area of your layout. It cheered me up after a trying afternoon.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1039 on: December 10, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »
Many thanks, Martin. I agree they are an eclectic collection! But they will all be repainted in Castle Estates blue livery. That's a particularly nice picture which shows a lovely area of your layout. It cheered me up after a trying afternoon.
Thanks Chris. I don't often photograph the Lanharrack side of the layout as it's a bit awkward for the camera. However, that area is possibly my favourite so I might try to get a few more pictures later.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1040 on: December 10, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »
Thank you, Martin. I'd really appreciate more pictures of the Lanharrack side of the layout when you can. There is so much to study and admire. Very nice to see the horse-drawn log cart, too.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1041 on: December 12, 2014, 07:22:43 PM »
In terms of Private Owner (PO) vans and wagons, I know that Cant Cove is NOT typical but there is a 'back story' to explain that that I plan to write over the Christmas break. However, for those who are interested (from the GWR Elist) here is, in terms of wagon types the data from 1956 (thanks to Paul Bartlett) where the split was as follows:

Mineral                                             43.3%             
Open merchandise                             32.4%
Covered merchandise                         15.8%
Rail & timber                                      5.4%
Goods Brake                                       1.6%
Cattle                                                 1.2%
Specials                                              0.3%

Another point to bear in mind is that the North Cornwall line was unusual in its lack of coal storage (staithes like the Ratio kit) in goods yards as coal wagons were unloaded directly into carts and, later, lorries, for distribution to customers. That said, Cant Cove WILL have coal storage in its goods yard (as I have already built one!) to supply local farms, etc., not to mention the "Railway Hotel"!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:33:13 PM by Chris in Prague »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1042 on: December 13, 2014, 07:17:39 AM »
So, normally, almost half of my wagons should be mineral wagons. However, I will reduce that proportion as North Cornwall is neither an industrial nor a highly-populated area. But I still need more open and covered merchandise wagons. So, apart from buying a few more Graham Farish 'Blue Riband' ones, my New Year's Resolution is to buy, construct and paint some NGS wagon kits starting with ex-SR Vans. (I have the transfers.)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1043 on: December 16, 2014, 09:39:30 PM »
There is mounting anticipation in the Trepol Bay and Port Perran areas.
Has the timetable for the Christmas Specials been released yet and when do the special trains start running ?

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1044 on: December 17, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »
My apologies, Martin. More details will be posted very soon. (I have been very busy with end-of-semester.) The Fat Controller at Plymouth Division HQ has been negotiating with WR HQ in Paddington, supported by Cornwall County Council and the Lord and Lady of Trevelver Castle, near Cant Cove, to finalise the program of special trains and the posters and timetables.

A new addition is a special through train from Wolverhampton Low Level and Birmingham Snow Hill to Cant Cove, Port Perran, Trepol Bay and Weaver Cove to connect with the local program Christmas specials. A specially cleaned train of BR Standard Mk1s in Chocolate and Cream (maybe with some Maroon Mark 1s added if bookings continue to increase) behind a green "Western" for the journey through Warwickshire down to the West Country has been discussed. It could call at Bodmin Road for connections to Wadebridge (change for Cant Cove), Penmayne, Trepol Bay and Weaver Cove then Truro for connections to Port Perran and a portion (3 Chocolate & Cream Mk1s and up to 2 Maroon Mk1s) behind the Green "Western" will through to Port Perran from Truro. A portion (Chocolate & Cream Mk1s) to Penmayne (reverse and return to Wadebridge), Weaver Cove and Trepol Bay may also be detached at Bodmin Road with the remainder going on to Truro. A variety of steam and diesel locomotives are being considered for working this portion of the special.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:27:01 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1045 on: December 17, 2014, 07:34:57 PM »
A reporter from the "Penmayne Post and Cant Cove Courier" local newspaper, affectionately known as the "P&C", has had to be reprimanded for writing misleading information (he could not read his notes as there was a dark ring from the bottom of a glass tankard of Castle Brewery 'Old Strong Winter Ale' (ABV - 5.5%) obscuring them). One of the sponsors of the local program of Christmas Special trains is, in fact, the Penmayne Pasty Co. whose wares will be available on the RMB Mini-buffet cars. A short rake of chocolate and cream Mark 1 RMBs Nos. W1813, W1816, and W1821 has just been reported to be on its way to Plymouth Laira for use attached to an ECS working. Other sponsors now include Cornwall County Council following an excellent dinner hosted at Trevelver Castle by its Lord and Lady.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:18:50 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1046 on: December 17, 2014, 07:42:25 PM »
After a shunting accident at Cant Cove, over which the local management wishes to draw a veil, the twin of the SR long wheelbase brake van for use on the Trepol Bay incline has had to be written off as beyond economic repair. Fortunately, Eastleigh has sent a replacement which, however, ended up at Trepol Bay instead of Cant Cove where it has just been reported as arriving. In view of the preparations for the Christmas specials, it has been requested that the replacement brake van be kept out of the way until January when it can be forwarded with the other wagons which have recently arrived at Port Perran. Meanwhile the Cant Cove railwaymen are debating the best use for the van's recently repainted grounded body (these include positioning it to overlook the Cove's nudist beach!).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:56:46 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1047 on: December 17, 2014, 08:18:44 PM »
Just to confirm that the brakevan has indeed arrived at Port Perran and will be stored (actually at Trepol Bay) awaiting transfer to Cant Cove in January.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1048 on: December 17, 2014, 10:17:57 PM »
The proof copies of the railway posters (delayed by a printers' strike) for the Christmas Steam specials have finally arrived at Wadebridge (SR) and Truro (WR) for local distribution:

Additional versions of the poster with the central section, (under 15/-), can be changed to list the specific trains running from specific stations.

The font has now been changed to the one which British Railways used (Gill Sans).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:54:29 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1049 on: December 18, 2014, 07:45:01 AM »
Looks good. Headline in a slightly different font/colour perhaps ?

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £61.00
Below Goal: £39.00
Site Currency: GBP
61% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything