!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Locomotive Purchase (newbie)  (Read 855 times)

Offline Mattymono

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Locomotive Purchase (newbie)
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:18:43 AM »
I had another thread asking about the basic start-up of my own N gauge rail. to stop myself flooding it with questions i thought i could open this thread to ask a few more direct questions!

My main question being. will every single n gauge train work?

i mean will Bachman trains work because i really do like the American style of locomotives and rolling stock

if they will work what steps do i have to take to make them work?

Offline longbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Locomotive Purchase (newbie)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:39:17 AM »
If you like the American locos they will all work OK on the same layout and in the same country so long as the correct input voltage Plug Pack/ Transformer is used , there are many brands to choose from including Kato, Atlas, Bachmann, InterMountain, Lifelike/Walthers and more, the only problem you may find is coupler compatibility, I have found that Atlas Accumate couplers are not always compatible with Micro Trains, don't know about the Bachmann Knuckle couplers, If I were you I would stick to one brand when starting out it can save you a few problems.

It seems you are tempted by the Bachmann locos and that is OK, the range is cheap and cheerful and could be a good starting point, the latest Bachmann range are mostly DCC ready and have directional lights.

A very helpful magazine for those interested in American model railroads is Model Railroader, usually full of helpful tips and reviews of models.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Alex

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 06:38:50 PM »
Hi,

I have 5 Bachmann American locos and the work fine straight out the box. I can only echo what zunnan said about clearences on your layout. I bought a Hi-cube wagon yesterday and it doesn't fit through my tunnel openings. ::)

Alex

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:51:01 PM »
I bought a Hi-cube wagon yesterday and it doesn't fit through my tunnel openings. ::)

Alex

Hi Alex,  

Possibly  low profile wheels would solve it  ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:10:51 PM by upnick »

Offline Alex

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:26:37 PM »
Ahh, I hadn't thought of that. :)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00