!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.


Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: An early attempt...  (Read 613 times)

Eggmarine and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Stevie DC

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2181
  • Country: 00
    • Awards
Re: An early attempt...
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 08:43:27 AM »
Thanks for the advice Steve, definitely looks like a 'less is more' approach is needed for the solder!

I great tip I was given is to cut small bits of solder (between 0.5mm and 1mm lengths) flux the joint and place the solder into the joint using tweezers. Then apply the iron to make a tack joint and check the alignments before reintroducing the iron and turning the tack(s) into a seam. Also wherever possible, try to solder from inside the model, that way most of the mess (if any) will be hidden and the amount of cleanup is lessened.

Most of the brake van below (a hacked 2mm Association kit), was done using this method and cleaned up with the glass fibre brush. However, I'm sure more mess will ensue when I solder the handrails into place - I've been putting this off for far too long!



So far you're doing a great job and I'm looking forward to seeing the brake van completed.

Online Eggmarine

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27026
  • Posts: 60
  • Country: gb
    • Awards
Re: An early attempt...
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 11:24:49 AM »
Thanks for the advice Steve, definitely looks like a 'less is more' approach is needed for the solder!

I great tip I was given is to cut small bits of solder (between 0.5mm and 1mm lengths) flux the joint and place the solder into the joint using tweezers. Then apply the iron to make a tack joint and check the alignments before reintroducing the iron and turning the tack(s) into a seam. Also wherever possible, try to solder from inside the model, that way most of the mess (if any) will be hidden and the amount of cleanup is lessened.

Most of the brake van below (a hacked 2mm Association kit), was done using this method and cleaned up with the glass fibre brush. However, I'm sure more mess will ensue when I solder the handrails into place - I've been putting this off for far too long!



So far you're doing a great job and I'm looking forward to seeing the brake van completed.

Great model! Very neat and clean. Photos like that keep me inspired, thanks.  I did try the chopped up bits of solder method you suggest but i didn't get anywhere, perhaps due to the flux i was using which looks primarily for whitemetal but says it can also be used on brass.

I've also been using a pointed solder bit which i know isn't ideal for conducting heat, a chisel tipped one has just arrived however so i'm about to have another try.  Thanks again for the advice.

Offline Stevie DC

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2181
  • Country: 00
    • Awards
Re: An early attempt...
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 08:16:09 PM »
Great model! Very neat and clean. Photos like that keep me inspired, thanks.  I did try the chopped up bits of solder method you suggest but i didn't get anywhere, perhaps due to the flux i was using which looks primarily for whitemetal but says it can also be used on brass.

I've also been using a pointed solder bit which i know isn't ideal for conducting heat, a chisel tipped one has just arrived however so i'm about to have another try.  Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks, it is quite messy on the inside though! I'm currently using Carrs Yellow flux and find that working above 310 degrees with the iron works best for 145 solder (my preference solder). A small tip will require more time to heat the metal sufficiently to get a good solder flow but give you much more control over where the heat is applied. I like to use a 3mm (or larger) tip whenever possible, going down to the small sizes for detail work and/or confined spaces.

Online Eggmarine

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27026
  • Posts: 60
  • Country: gb
    • Awards
Re: An early attempt...
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 01:24:17 AM »
A further session on the queen mary this evening, i added to the rudimentary brake hangers with some nickel silver wire left over from the mineral wagon and some vacuum cylinders fabricated from some left over brass fret. They're bottomless but once it's on the rails no one will know!

The instructions suggest a plasticard roof but since all i had with me was brass i decided to make up a brass roof salvaged from another unstarted kit. It was bent to shape by rolling it under the curved edge of a large padlock of all things because it was what i had handy. The drain strips are more left over bits of fret.

The roof is tacked on so i can return and paint the internal bits and possibly glaze the model too. Not sure yet if i'll do that. The model needs bogies and buffers, bogies from the ngs shop as they have a suitable plastic effort and i'm eyeing up some buffers on ebay.











No handrails as yet due to no wire. I've got a guitar somewhere that comes with a stash of strings, not sure if a top E will be too thick i'll check tomorrow.

I'm interested to see how this will look after a coat of primer, the patchwork of solder and brass looks a bit shabby but i'm hoping she'll scrub up and take paint well.

 

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations


Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal