!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol 0-6-0 PT's emerging faults  (Read 47834 times)

Offline shandy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21565
    • Awards
Re: Dapol 0-6-0 PT's emerging faults
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 05:37:28 PM »
To continue the saga…

I spoke to Ollie at Rails who has 4 of these on his layout, he said they did take a lot of running in and his didn't really settle down until they'd had literally hours of running in (10+)

I think I'm going to see how they perform over the next couple of weeks, nothing to lose in the immediate timeframe.

I'm not very impressed with the Terms and Conditions on the Dapol 2 year warranty, sending every loco off after twelve months at £15 a punt just to ensure I'm covered for the second year doesn't seem like a good deal to me. At that rate it'll cost me more to service the loco fleet annually than it does for the two household cars!

Effectively I still just get 12 months warranty on Dapol locos or pay an extra 15% to 25% of the purchase price for the extended warranty, sounds like the offers you get at Dixons/Currys on a new fridge :scowl:

Steve  :unimpressed:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 06:50:44 PM »

I'm not very impressed with the Terms and Conditions on the Dapol 2 year warranty, sending every loco off after twelve months at £15 a punt just to ensure I'm covered for the second year doesn't seem like a good deal to me. At that rate it'll cost me more to service the loco fleet annually than it does for the two household cars!

Effectively I still just get 12 months warranty on Dapol locos or pay an extra 15% to 25% of the purchase price for the extended warranty, sounds like the offers you get at Dixons/Currys on a new fridge :scowl:

Steve  :unimpressed:

Selling extended warranties for consumer goods has long been known to be highly profitable.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 09:00:13 PM »
I'm not very impressed with the Terms and Conditions on the Dapol 2 year warranty,

I'm not very impressed that you have to run in a model for 10 hours for it to start working.

Bear in mind the reported motor life of these small can motors used in the Pannier is ~100 hours, that's 10% of it's life burnt through before you even get a decent runner.

I don't call that amount of use running in.....it's wearing out....

Poor, and frankly IMHO an excuse. I'd press harder if I were you.

As for extending the warranty, don't bother lining DCC Supplies pockets with your money (after a year's use many models will not need a service for £15).  And most of the parts you need to do any repair are available now for DCC Supplies as spares - much better doing it yourself.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline shandy

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 09:09:57 PM »
I'm not very impressed with the Terms and Conditions on the Dapol 2 year warranty,

I'm not very impressed that you have to run in a model for 10 hours for it to start working.

Bear in mind the reported motor life of these small can motors used in the Pannier is ~100 hours, that's 10% of it's life burnt through before you even get a decent runner.

I don't call that amount of use running in.....it's wearing out....

Poor, and frankly IMHO an excuse. I'd press harder if I were you.

As for extending the warranty, don't bother lining DCC Supplies pockets with your money (after a year's use many models will not need a service for £15).  And most of the parts you need to do any repair are available now for DCC Supplies as spares - much better doing it yourself.

Cheers,
Alan

It had crossed my mind that I'd have used a considerable amount of the motors life before it ran right. I've been running them again this afternoon/evening & one of them seems to have settled down OK but t'other is a wobbly, surging bag 'o nails.

I won't be sending them to DCC supplies for repair, or extending any of my Dapol warranties for £15 a go.

I think the dodgy one is going back to Rails.

Back to work tomorrow for me so no progress until next weekend…

Thanks for advice - you are undoubtedly correct on all counts, sir.

Cheers Steve

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 09:21:56 PM »
It had crossed my mind that I'd have used a considerable amount of the motors life before it ran right. I've been running them again this afternoon/evening & one of them seems to have settled down OK

I found this with the worst of mine - Id' run it a bit and it would almost get to a point of being ok, but come back the next day and run it again and it'd be as bad as ever.

So don't mean to be a doom monger, but don't be surprised if it is as bad as ever the next time you run it.

If you're getting no joy and are happy for it to be stripped down then feel free to drop me a line off list and I can have a go at it.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline shandy

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 10:06:42 PM »
Thats very kind Alan, I may well take you up on that offer.
 :thankyousign:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 06:41:52 AM »
My sole (untested, because I have no layout, yet) Dapol pannier tank is packed up and ready to be posted to Wickness for DCC fitting. As Douglas always tests locos as part of his excellent service I'm very interested in what he will say!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »
My sole (untested, because I have no layout, yet) Dapol pannier tank is packed up and ready to be posted to Wickness for DCC fitting.

Bear in mind you can save yourself a fortune by fitting the DCC chip yourself - these are DCC ready so only need a NEM 6 pin chip plugged in - work of about 30 seconds....

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 10:43:22 AM »
My sole (untested, because I have no layout, yet) Dapol pannier tank is packed up and ready to be posted to Wickness for DCC fitting.

Bear in mind you can save yourself a fortune by fitting the DCC chip yourself - these are DCC ready so only need a NEM 6 pin chip plugged in - work of about 30 seconds....

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks, Alan, for your kind advice, which is appreciated. I know (I've already been strongly advised to do this and I have changed (rather larger) chips in PCs in my IT days (I once had to spend a day doing this to a batch of PCs, for a client, 30 years ago!)). However, Douglas also fixes any other problems to ensure the loco runs smoothly and I want his opinion on my Dapol pannier. If I had not read this thread, I would do as you suggest. (I have several Class 22s that need DCC fitting so, when I get around to them, I'll buy the chips and try fitting them myself. I'm sure there are videos on 'how to'. For the same reason, I send any Grafar locos. bought off eBay where I have any doubt as to their condition to BRLines as I know they will leave Bob 'as good as new'. So, I'm paying for peace of mind and the knowledge that the loco. REALLY is RTR.

Offline dodger

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 12:32:32 PM »
I find that if I dont run my dapol locos M7, Ivatt tank, Q1 & class 73 regularly they run very poorly for a few minutes until the pickups have cleaned up. One problem with Dapol locos is that the wheel blackening needs cutting through to ensure good electrical conduction.

Are the motors used in the Pannier worse than those used in the M7 days as both mine are still running?

dodger

Offline Les1952

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »

Cheers,
Alan

I think 30 seconds might be a little on the optimistic side- the cab didn't want to come off mine.....  However in principle they aren't that difficult to chip- or indeed in the case of mine to put back to analogue again!   Although it was OK on analogue it was very lumpy with the chip in it- though that MIGHT be as much the CT chip as the loco.  I have no other decoders of this make to compare it with yet it seems OK in the Farish DMU it now resides in.....

I've not tried a Lenz chip in the pannier yet, it was going to become an NCB loco on Hawthorn Dene but can guest on the club's analogue layout instead.

All the very best
Les

ParkeNd

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 12:31:37 AM »
My black BR 57xx pannier has always run perfectly - and will be joined by a green BR  57xx tomorrow if the postman can be fagged to deliver it from Hattons who shipped it today. Let's hope the newcomer is faultless too

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 07:54:26 AM »

I think 30 seconds might be a little on the optimistic side- the cab didn't want to come off mine.....  However in principle they aren't that difficult to chip- or indeed in the case of mine to put back to analogue again!   Although it was OK on analogue it was very lumpy with the chip in it- though that MIGHT be as much the CT chip as the loco.  I have no other decoders of this make to compare it with yet it seems OK in the Farish DMU it now resides in.....

I've not tried a Lenz chip in the pannier yet, it was going to become an NCB loco on Hawthorn Dene but can guest on the club's analogue layout instead.

All the very best
Les

On Douglas' and others' recommendation, I always have a Lenz Silver Mini DCC chip fitted. I hope my Dapol pannier will be chipped, next month.

ParkeNd

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2014, 03:34:55 PM »
I already have a black Dapol 57xx which runs superbly and quietly even down to a crawl with no hesitation or jerks.. Came from Rails of Sheffield.

But ---------- this morning my pre-ordered 2S-007-004 BR Green Dapol 57xx pannier tank arrived from Hattons.

Oh heavens.  It will run forwards when given more than one strong poke and will then only run in surges of fast then slow, stopping regularly. Whilst doing this the motor howls like a banshee. It is much quieter when attempting to run backwards because it wont go at all. It has had some Dapol synthetic oil via a cocktail stick on the motion pivots and some the same way on the gears - but no change.

Hattons have been very good as always when I phoned them and it will be posted back tomorrow morning for a full refund.

This loco is just not worth time spending on it. Whatever has happened this model has got worse since it's introduction - no doubt about it.

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »
Is it not worth asking Hattons to test a replacement? I bought my LT one from Rails of Sheffield and Ollie tested it before posting it. I'm sure you could arrange something similar with Hattons.

Or are you too fed up? :veryangry:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything