!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Metcalfe Models  (Read 2434 times)

Offline steamerdave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Metcalfe Models
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:21:30 PM »
Hi all, I am new to this forum and just thought I would post my way of assembling the cardboard models. My wife is into card making so I have access to all the kit she uses, she come up with the idea of using the double sided tape instead of glue. This tape is available in various widths from most Hobby stores and sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. After giving it a go it gave really good results, no waiting for glue to dry and the card does not lose any of its rigidity due to getting moist while wet with glue. We were really pleased with the results, give it a go and let me know what you think.
regards Dave

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
Re: Metcalfe Models
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:12:30 PM »
Welcome Dave!

A good idea.  I use double sided tape for sticking sections of track down before ballasting it.  I don't buy Metcalfe buildings because I'm too lazy to make them!   ;D

Offline steamerdave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
Hi Tank
our first attempt was a pair of houses with back yard, we both did one each and allowing for breaks for tea and a smoke they took 4 hours start to finish and proud of the results!!!

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:47:17 AM »
You cant just tease us like that Dave, where's the piccies  ;D

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20957
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
    • My layout photos on Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:36:21 AM »
I'm another double-sided tape worshipper. Like Chris I used it to lay my track before ballasting it, which made it so much easier to remove it when I had to rethink the track layout. I also use it for sticking some of the scenery down.

I'm not a great fan of card kits to be honest. I find them too fiddly and don't like the edges some of them leave, so I prefer to scratchbuild my own buildings from plasticard as it's a medium I'm very used to.

Offline 1whitemoor

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »
Card kits and myself don't agree.

They're too delicate for N gauge I believe, and I've only ever seen them used to good effect on 00 layouts at exhibitions.

I'd gladly like to be proven wrong, but I've always found plasticard/styrene sheet a much better material to work with.

Both mediums are better than the resin read-to-use buildings available from bachmann however, which are (to my eye) over-weathered and wrongly coloured (a blue aggregate building??!??! when most of the prototypes are grey and spotless!)

:)
Paul

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal