Rod Stewart's layout.

Started by trainsdownunder, December 27, 2013, 11:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Quote from: Paddy on December 28, 2013, 05:38:12 PM
Hi Folks,

Personally I do not see the problem with modellers like Rod Stewart and Pete Waterman.  They are railway enthusiasts and it is up to them how they express that.  Rod must have huge demands upon his time so has to use his wealth to compensate in his modelling.  Mind you, I have no idea how much of his railway is down to him personally and I do not see it is important.

As for Mr Waterman he is one of the great benefactors of railway modelling and preservation in this country.  With his investments in full size railways and modelling via JLTRT he has definitely walked the walk.

Live and let live I say.

Happy new year

Paddy

In the December 2010 article, Rod Stewart estimates that 80% of the layout is his own doing.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

upnick

Hi  Colin,     

Your link for the  Article on Rod Stewart visit to George Sellios' layout isnt working above for some reason  so i hope  i've found it here in the link below  ?   

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/north/10012433039643/rod-stewart-visits-peabody-model-train-collector/%5Dhttp://www.salemnews.com/local/x602337277/Rod-Stewart-takes-in-city-s-Downtown-Train

Ben A

Hello all,

I recently read Rod Stewart's autobiography.  It's a fun read, and in it he describes having an interest in railways and railway modelling from a young age.  When in the 60s he got his first flat he says he built a model railway round the edge of the bedroom and ran LNER stock.

He then describes over the years having a succession of layouts, culminating in his huge US layout in his house in LA and another British outline layout (ECML from memory) in his house in Essex.

He says on tour he has a flight case dedicated to his modelling gear and latest project (usually a building) but acknowledges help from others.

I think he sounds like what the Railway Modeller once described as the Average Enthusiast, albeit with a slightly above average budget and more space available than most of us.

He also says that his philosophy (learned from his Dad) is that a man will be content if he has a wife, a job and a hobby - though I am not sure if it's in that order!

cheers

Ben A.

Agrippa

Further to Ben A's post if you have health and the love of a good woman anything else
is a bonus including the Toytown Riots on this thread!

ps Rod's next singles

Young Trucks

The first cutting is the deepest

I'll get my coat/yellow vest/ mod suit on.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Bealman

I should think so... but  :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: anyway!  :thumbsup:

CarriageShed

Quote from: Agrippa on December 29, 2013, 01:08:31 AM
The first cutting is the deepest

Nice one. ;)

Quote from: Ben A on December 29, 2013, 12:29:23 AM
I recently read Rod Stewart's autobiography.  It's a fun read, and in it he describes having an interest in railways and railway modelling from a young age.  When in the 60s he got his first flat he says he built a model railway round the edge of the bedroom and ran LNER stock.

I bought that book for my mother. I might have to borrow it back!

Rod sounds like a perfectly normal railway modeller - trying to fit in his hobby around his real life commitments.

Peter

Bealman

He's one of the lads. Always has been.  8)

Bit of a shame I'm hearing that the anti-fun police are clamping down on him kicking soccer balls into the audience at his shows. I almost caught one at one of his concerts in Sydney a few years ago!

:beers: Cheers, George

upnick

Got the three copies of MR  out now looking for  ideas from this awesome layout   :claphappy:  if i  had  the space & money to do  it i  would  in  HO   more things are easier & possible   :thumbsup:

4x2

Quote from: upnick on December 29, 2013, 02:36:15 PM
Got the three copies  out now looking for  ideas from this awesome layout   :claphappy:  if i  had  the space & money to do  it i  would  in  HO   more things are easier & possible   :thumbsup:
I love N as much as anyone else here, but i have to agree with you.... A layout that size needs to be HO in my opinion, mainly as there is so much more variety - important if your building 100+ buildings ! Not to mention that N scale trains would look lost in such a large layout...
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

cycletrak9

Quote from: 4x2 on December 29, 2013, 03:06:15 PM
Quote from: upnick on December 29, 2013, 02:36:15 PM
Got the three copies  out now looking for  ideas from this awesome layout   :claphappy:  if i  had  the space & money to do  it i  would  in  HO   more things are easier & possible   :thumbsup:
I love N as much as anyone else here, but i have to agree with you.... A layout that size needs to be HO in my opinion, mainly as there is so much more variety - important if your building 100+ buildings ! Not to mention that N scale trains would look lost in such a large layout...

There was an article in MRJ recently by a bloke who had moved up from P4 to 7mmFS because detailing in the smaller scale had become too fiddly. He found that 7mm was no easier because he felt duty bound to include even finer detail in the larger scale!

mr bachmann

around the showbiz world Rod was known to be a bit 'tight' (when it came to his round , he'd suddenly disappear) , it makes you wonder how much of the layout is paid for ....... :D  :D

Bealman

That is true. He didn't like shoutin' the drinks!  :beers:

Bealman

The February 2014 Model Railroader mag with Rod Stewart's layout turned up at the newsagents yesterday, so I bought it.

Yes, he has got some helpers, but I don't have a problem with that.... when I was an active member of our local N gauge club, I'd often be joined by fellow members helping me out on some jobs. I don't see any difference.

Although it is an awesome piece of work and must be great to operate, it's too 'finicky' and cluttered for my personal tastes. Still, it represents a big city, I suppose.

I like his parting comment about how people are amazed that a rock star has model railways as a hobby.

However, I do believe that Roger Daltry did some work on 'The Gresley Beat', and also has his own (Continental?) layout.

George

Agrippa

Rod's got a big layout and a big blonde. To paraphrase George Best's hotel
porter ,  "Where did it all go wrong?" .
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Bealman

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%