!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Geominster a first time Layout by a complete novice  (Read 90619 times)

Offline georgehgv

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Geominster Mainline & Heritage Railway
    • Awards
Re: Geominster a first time Layout by a complete novice
« Reply #300 on: July 30, 2015, 02:41:50 PM »
Likewise here, people love looking at the updates etc but eventually run out of comments to put on a thread, especially a long running thread.  They've probably said it all before on previous posts but are still keen to seen what you are up to and carry on learning from your exploits so don't be disheartened.     :thumbsup:

True enough except a thank you is but one click of the mouse. Seems even that is a bit too much to ask Caz.
A new layout Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line has been created after moving home and not being able to accomodate the old layout.

This then is my third version which is vastly improved from previous efforts.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled.

Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #301 on: July 30, 2015, 02:46:10 PM »
:sorrysign: Well, for one who looks and doesn't generally comment (maybe because I am in awe of your ability) I would say please do not stop posting updates as the layout is absolutely brilliant and I'm sure it inspires people to 'have a go'. Keep up the good work. Take the 10K+ views as confirmation of how good the layout is.

Thanks Chewy, no-one should be in awe of anything I do, I knew very little when I started a couple of years back and still know less than most, I have enjoyed the experience but I will probably concentrate on the website rather than the Forum and just drop by to do what others do, have a silent browse.
A new layout Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line has been created after moving home and not being able to accomodate the old layout.

Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: July 30, 2015, 05:25:49 PM »
Do you have a track plan of your fiddle yard please?
It is a very interesting design, and I am wondering if I could modify it to use on Wookery....

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #303 on: July 30, 2015, 06:19:55 PM »
I'm sorry you feel as you do. Remember there are more "readers" than "writers" on any forum. The views testify to the readers. I shall bookmark your site but I hope you'll continue to post here.
I have read your posts and am impressed with what you have done. It's been my hobby all my life but you have achieved more in your 2 years than I have in 45.
Cheers,
Brian.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Bob Wild

• Awards
« Reply #304 on: July 30, 2015, 11:26:56 PM »
As another novice with only two years experience, I understand what you are saying. But.... as others say, it's often the interest of seeing what others are achieving and doing that I most enjoy, without necessary commenting every time. Perhaps you're right, we should possibly press the thank you button a bit more often.

Bob

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #305 on: July 31, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »
Thanks for the track plan George, food for thought  :hmmm:

I echoed everybody else's feelings in my email to you.....

Offline sp1

• Awards
« Reply #306 on: July 31, 2015, 12:51:19 PM »
I only stumbled across this thread yesterday (don't know how I missed it before as I look in on the forum quite a lot, but rarely post ...) - I read through it all last night and am greatly inspired, so it would be a shame to see the thread 'die'.

I am contemplating an N gauge layout (I have a lot of stock, including track, purchased some time ago for a project that I never started building).

As I have no layout (and haven't built in N for over 30 years) I look at a lot of posts, but don't feel qualified to comment for that (those?) reasons - I suspect others are in a similar situation - your thread is a great inspiration, so I urge you to reconsider posting on it.

Steve

Edit to add:although I read a lot of things of interest, I don't feel inclined to add comments such as 'that looks great, mate' / 'brilliant' etc as personally I find having to wade through pages of this very tedious - perhaps I should use the 'like' button more now that you have brought attention to it
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:56:43 PM by sp1 »

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #307 on: July 31, 2015, 02:16:56 PM »
George I would totally echo what has been said previously, you have built a truly insperational layout which although commented on very little I admire your work and would be sorry to see no more updates. :NGaugersRule: :greatpicturessign:

regards Derek

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #308 on: August 01, 2015, 03:51:51 AM »
Hi to everyone who has posted recently. I am humbled by the response and confess that I had not realised how many people have been following the thread. Thanks to you all. I never expected a reaction like this.

I will now reconsider updating progress, it may be a little while before I post the latest works as I want to take photographs of all the locomotives and stock whilst allocating storage sidings to them all. Also having sold a lot of unwanted items it now unleashes the potential to enjoy what I have left so actually running trains on the layout will be a pleasure and hopefully I can get some photo shots on location as it were.

Please though as a way of encouragement can you click the thanks button which simple though it may seem means a great deal to me and lets me know that the thread is being read and followed.

Below is a plan of the entire Geominster Layout and the Fiddle Yard attached to it. Overall size being Geominster 2200mm x 750mm and the Fiddle Yard 2150mm x 700mm.

Thank you all again and I hope to post again shortly.

George
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:53:23 AM by georgehgv »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: August 01, 2015, 06:25:39 AM »
George, I am so glad you have decided to keep posting, because as a mod, I can assure you your thread is being looked at, and as a member of the forum I look forward to updates.

I am probably as guilty as anyone of not hitting the thank you button... thank you for the reminder that courtesy is but a click away.

George  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: August 01, 2015, 07:29:34 AM »
Georgy boy  ;)

stop thinking nonsens ( in a good way ), keep on posting,  ;)

like the new fiddle yard, although I already have seen that you have longer trains then you can fit. ? is this one also completely controlled ? or manual.

think it's also time for some proper layout and layout detail pictures :)

best regards

M.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #311 on: August 01, 2015, 11:27:52 AM »
Glad to hear it George  :D

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #312 on: August 01, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
Georgy boy  ;)

stop thinking nonsens ( in a good way ), keep on posting,  ;)

like the new fiddle yard, although I already have seen that you have longer trains then you can fit. ? is this one also completely controlled ? or manual.

think it's also time for some proper layout and layout detail pictures :)

best regards

M.

Maurits, not sure what you mean by longer trains than can fit, all are parked in storage sidings with clearance for others to pass. The longest rake that can go through the shortest RLM is 760mm and all are within that dimension.

Yes all the points will all be controlled via Hornby elink and Railmaster with NCE Powercab providing control of the locomotives.

No more layout pictures or detail until scenery has progressed etc.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:32:03 PM by georgehgv »

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: August 01, 2015, 05:45:47 PM »
George, his is what I ment, your class 43 doesn't fit ;)

Right side of fiddle yard

Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #314 on: August 01, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »
Aha, well spotted.  Indeed it needs swapping to another line.  :-[  :thankyousign:  missed that one.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal