!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol 57xx Pannier Tank Loco  (Read 10741 times)

ParkeNd

• Trade Count: (0)
Dapol 57xx Pannier Tank Loco
« on: October 26, 2013, 12:42:12 AM »
I have the BR green version of this on pre-order with Hattons and am somewhat alarmed that the only version of this loco type which reached the shops - 2S 007 002 which is the BR black lined version with very crude oversized broad white lines has disappeared from Hattons online listing. Does anyone know if there is some problem with the Dapol 57xx range. This was the most prolific steam loco in the Forest of Dean and my new layout looks destined to be diesel only unless some small kettles appear in N Gauge soon. Even the promised Farish 67xx pannier tank is conspicuous by its continued absence. The Farish Ivatt Mickey Mouse is available I know but would be just as inappropriate for my region as a Gresley A4 !!

Offline Ollie3440

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18238
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
Re: Dapol 57xx Pannier Tank Loco
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 12:54:17 AM »
Hi There,

The first batch ND204A-D sold out pretty much straight away.

Out of the second batch 2S-007-000 LT Maroon and 2S-007-002 Lined Black were released a few months back and also sold out very quickly. The next in the batch 2S-007-001 BR Black Late arrived with some shops (Rails in this case) today, one is already on Sheaf

The GWR Green and BR Green ones were due to follow the Black ones, so there is no problem with the loco itself just in getting them out of China!

They are a very popular (as shown by how quickly the current ones have sold out!) and as such Dapol recently announced a further 5 models! 4 of which were duly added to the GWR one i already have on order. So i will end up with 9 Panniers, hmmmm nah it's still not enough :P

Dapol Panniers not released yet are as follows:
2S-007-003 #8762 GWR Green livery with 'GWR' branding
2S-007-004 #9741 BR Green with 'British Railways' writing
2S-007-005 #L97 London Transport Maroon
2S-007-006 #3702 BR Black Late Crest
2S-007-007 #4607 BR Black Early Crest
2S-007-008 #5764 GWR Green 'Great Western' lettering
2S-007-009 #5724 GWR GREEN 'GWR' lettering

As for the Farish 64XX. That was only announced in March, and given Farish say to allow up to 18 months from announcement to release we should be expect it before October 2014.

Hope this is of some help :)

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

ParkeNd

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 01:19:05 AM »
Brilliant comprehensive answer many thanks. The Severn and Wye Railway I am modelling swarmed with 57xx's so if the Farish 64xx will be as late as you suggest then I better get another two 57xxs on order.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 08:46:52 AM »
They are great little locos. I have 3 and all perform really nicely.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

ParkeNd

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
Thanks both. I have ordered two black 57xx's from Rails of Sheffield today - and left the green one on pre-order with Hattons.

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:30:18 PM »
I've got two of these locos, an unlined black one from the first batch and a lined black from the recent release.  The first one runs better, possibly because it is more run in.  They're good, smooth runners that even seem pretty tolerant of dead frog Settrack points.

I've also had a friend's LT livery pannier on my layout and that was another good runner.  In fact I'm not sure I've heard of any horror stories or quality complaints about the Dapol 57xx.

ParkeNd

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 11:55:49 PM »
The 57xx's arrived today from Rails in a box fully 15 inches long. It was like pass the parcel as two tiny boxes about 3.5 inches long were discovered under a ton of shredded junk mail.

Superb detail, very delicate, and the tightest sleeve I have ever encountered

Looking forward to a play as soon as the track laying is finished.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 09:15:12 AM »
In fact I'm not sure I've heard of any horror stories or quality complaints about the Dapol 57xx.

Hmm, a fair number have pickup troubles. Fair number of comments on the 9 pages of the main thread on these:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6600.120

With adjustment they can be good - but I fear for longevity given that the motors appear to be glued into part of the body - how will you replace one when it's 100 hour lifespan is up?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline KTM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23403
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »
The NG forum is quite a find. Having waited in vain for the Dapol 14xx to negotiate the Silk Road I decided, after reading this thread, to go with a 57xx and GWR liveried autocoach. They arrive tomorrow so my first N gauge layout - a typical GWR post war branch line can finally begin.

Thanks guys   :claphappy:

Ken
GWR branch-line Steam rules

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »
The NG forum is quite a find. Having waited in vain for the Dapol 14xx to negotiate the Silk Road I decided, after reading this thread, to go with a 57xx and GWR liveried autocoach. They arrive tomorrow so my first N gauge layout - a typical GWR post war branch line can finally begin.

Thanks guys   :claphappy:

Ken

Nice to have you on board, Ken.

I made the same decision about the Dapol 14XX. The 57XX looks well with the autocoach.

Looking forward to seeing your new layout.

Ask away if you have any questions.

Dave G

Offline KTM

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 09:36:45 AM »
Thanks Dave. The new layout will probably make members yawn...basically an Ashburton clone on a 7ft X 18" baseboard. Very early days but I've dug out the 60 page research file on Ashburton I compiled a few years ago and will now start imbibing again the atmosphere of glorious Devon. I'll definitely post up progress notes and any pics I do of the layout in the future.

Now about those hundreds of unread threads on NGF - must get busy on those too.

Offline KTM

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »
 ;D Hatton's rule! :D

My first N gauge loco arrived today.. the 57xx of course complete with a GWR autocoach. I can't believe how small N gauge items are...unlike my spade fingers!  I wish I was a watchmaker.

I loaded them on to my one and only length of flexi-track and lashed up a power lead and bingo everything runs sweetly.

All now packed safely away and I must check the bank balance to see if I can order the track and points I need.

Choo Choo   :Carriage:

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »
Good news, Ken!

Peco Code 55 flexi (my choice of rail) is cheap by the yard but adding points pushes the cost up so it's a good idea to plan ahead, especially if on a tight budget.

If you use planning software, such as AnyRail or SCARM, you can produce a list of materials that can help you price things up.

Have fun and remember to ask if you have any questions or need advice. There's bound to be someone who can help.

Dave G

Offline fisherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »
I  fancied  putting a  Dapol Pannier tank  motor   and   chassis   under a saddle   tank  kit   that I have. If  the  motor    is   stuck  to part  of  the   pannier   body   does   this  mean  big   probs?
<o({{{<<

Offline KTM

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 04:51:25 PM »
Good news, Ken!

Peco Code 55 flexi (my choice of rail) is cheap by the yard but adding points pushes the cost up so it's a good idea to plan ahead, especially if on a tight budget. Dave G

Hi Dave..I am going to use Code 55 streamline. My Ashburton branch is really a test bed to see how I get on in 2mm. The trackplan is well-known  and the points needed are not too many - five or six.

But I will definitely need track planning software for the second layout in the future - a table-top layout - basically a large oval with 3 or 4 main running lines - DCC etc. Sounds expensive already :)

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

anything