!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol 57xx Pannier Tank Loco  (Read 10837 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol 57xx Pannier Tank Loco
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 05:16:51 PM »
I  fancied  putting a  Dapol Pannier tank  motor   and   chassis   under a saddle   tank  kit   that I have. If  the  motor    is   stuck  to part  of  the   pannier   body   does   this  mean  big   probs?

Yes!
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »
I  fancied  putting a  Dapol Pannier tank  motor   and   chassis   under a saddle   tank  kit   that I have. If  the  motor    is   stuck  to part  of  the   pannier   body   does   this  mean  big   probs?

You will need to make a suitable motor cradle. Similar arrangement to the terrier and some Arnold models.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline fisherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 08:41:39 AM »
 :thankyousign:
<o({{{<<

Offline BigT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17931
  • 2mm Association Number: 4261
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »
Does anyone know where you can get replacement number plates?

I want to change the identity of one of my locos.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 10:11:24 PM »
Does anyone know where you can get replacement number plates?

I want to change the identity of one of my locos.

Modelmaster decals should do something suitable...

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »
Several sources - Modelmaster as mentioned do etched plates if you are a society member. If the specific number you want isn't available I do them as custom orders now and then (but just sent a sheet off so too late for a while!) and Narrow Planet do them to order for lots of stuff.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 11:51:41 PM »
Modelmaster as mentioned do etched plates if you are a society member.

Don't think you need to be a society member - whilst I am a member, I've ordered from their website direct many times, and never been asked if I'm a member. Think it's perfectly open to all!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 08:33:35 PM »
Modelmaster as mentioned do etched plates if you are a society member.

Don't think you need to be a society member - whilst I am a member, I've ordered from their website direct many times, and never been asked if I'm a member. Think it's perfectly open to all!

Cheers,
Alan

Best of luck getting plates out of him.  I've just cancelled two sets of plates originally ordered direct from Modelmaster last November!

All the very best
Les

ParkeNd

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »
Got my 57xx onto the new track to run it in. It followed after a new Farish Class 42 Warship and a new Farish Class 24. After their awesome smooth and, I reckon, graceful performances I was initially a bit put off with the jerky rocking gate of the Dapol pannier. It smoothed out to an extent but doesn't really impress which is a shame because my chosen area swarmed with 57xxs.

The Dapols did not impress as much as the Farish locos which has surprised me somewhat - even discounting the new Dapol Hall that has it's drive shaft completely missing straight out of the box.

I may cancel the pre-order for the green 57xx and wait for the Farish 64xx.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:45:25 PM by ParkeNd, Reason: Correction of very bad typo. »

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+70)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 10:13:11 PM »

I may cancel the pre-order for the green 57xx and wait for the Garish 64xx.

The colour scheme on the latter sounds interesting :goggleeyes: (Sorry - I couldn't resist :-[)
Shame the Dapol pannier had to follow 2 of Farish's best runners IMHO, but it still doesn't sound too good :(

ParkeNd

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »

I may cancel the pre-order for the green 57xx and wait for the Garish 64xx.

The colour scheme on the latter sounds interesting :goggleeyes: (Sorry - I couldn't resist :-[)
Shame the Dapol pannier had to follow 2 of Farish's best runners IMHO, but it still doesn't sound too good :(

One of my better typos. Well spotted.

Offline DonH

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 11:38:08 PM »
My latest 57xx (5759) looks and runs great, certainly much better than a farish warship! the warship I have arrived with split gears on both bogies, which had to be replace at my expense but it is still not a good runner  (as a matter of fact out of 8 farish's only my 101 dmu ran well out of the box)

Don

ParkeNd

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 12:07:47 AM »
My latest 57xx (5759) looks and runs great, certainly much better than a farish warship! the warship I have arrived with split gears on both bogies, which had to be replace at my expense but it is still not a good runner  (as a matter of fact out of 8 farish's only my 101 dmu ran well out of the box)

Don

My Farish Warship is a new one with DCC ready socket rather than the old Poole model with susceptibility to split gears.

The 4 Dapol locos I have are a bit down on quality. The real 57xxs pull away with superb power and stability and the model's running on a twin track layout could not match even a Farish Class 08 which was running in on the other track. The Class 26 has bad printing of the white paint around the side windows and whines horribly. The Class 22 is pretty good but at £111 it should be. The Hall being shipped minus a drive shaft is unforgivable - it would not have run when the final assembly operator put it on test - it was just packed and shipped as a dud.

I have now cancelled my three Dapol pre-orders. I don't want any more.

Offline DonH

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 12:18:07 AM »

My farish warship is the newer dcc ready unit as well, as for the 57xx all of mine out pull my farish black 5, standard 5mt and ivatt 2mt. The standard 5 and the 2mt look really great but are sadly let down by a very cheap and poor mechanism, these have been the most disappointing of all my purchases so much so that I doubt I will purchase any more farish locos.

Don

ParkeNd

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 12:29:27 AM »

My farish warship is the newer dcc ready unit as well, as for the 57xx all of mine out pull my farish black 5, standard 5mt and ivatt 2mt. The standard 5 and the 2mt look really great but are sadly let down by a very cheap and poor mechanism, these have been the most disappointing of all my purchases so much so that I doubt I will purchase any more farish locos.

Don

Strange how things pan out for different people Don. Glad you like your Dapols - I really wanted to like mine and expected to. The Class 22 is the best of the crop of the Dapols other than perhaps the new Western but that would look very out of place on my chosen location - longer than the station building!!

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything