!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Britannia, Hall & B1  (Read 8457 times)

Offline Cazadoom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21448
    • Awards
Britannia, Hall & B1
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »
Hi There! i was wondering if anyone could give me adviceon if they are worth purchesing? i have heard that the britannia and hall have grey wheels does that make the model look a bit tacky? why is the B1 priced soo low every where??

it would be great if people could let me know there thoughts and experiances with these models!!

Cheers
Callum

:A1Tornado:

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Britannia, Hall & B1
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »
The B1 was outshone by the Farish version. I cannot comment personally on the Hall, as I have never had one, but many people including me have had problems with the Brits.

Offline Guy

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:03:03 PM »
I can't comment on the Brit or the Hall as I don't have either, the B1, which I agree is more accurate in the Farish version, I do have the Dapol one. I am more than happy with it, it runs well and pulls anything I put behind it.  I also purchased it cheap at £47.50 from ModelRailwaysDirect and do regard this as a bargain. If I was aked to pay full price, I'd go for the Farish version.

Regards

Guy

Offline Crackerbill

• N Gauge Society Number: 21694
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:24:15 AM »
I also have a bargain basement Dapol B1 which now runs very well, after a little stay in my loco hospital. ::)  I have no experience of the Britannia as I was rather turned off by the early reports by users rather than the press reviews.  Experiences with the Britannia  have been reported  further within this forum,  some modellers have had little or no problems. 

The new Hall I would like to have, particularly so as my grandaughter is named Kimberley. :wave:  I am however loathe to part with large sums of dosh for Dapol steam outline, as my experiences with B17 (returned) and first B1 (returned) were less than satisfactory.  :thumbsdown: The second B1 (at £47.50 from Modelrailways Direct) as already stated needed some surgery and now runs extremely well. (See this forum Dapol B1).  :thumbsup:

I wonder if the Hall will be on the bargain lists at the various retailers soon?  It may be worth taking a chance then.  I will however, probably part with my cash and buy the Kimberley Hall in the near future, but only from a ruputable retailer with a proven after sales record.

There does seem to be an element of luck attached to the running quality of Dapol steam loco on purchase, this is not entirely cofined to Dapol, as there are several poor reports around on some Farish/Bachmann steam outlines too. 

I wish you well in N gauge modelling which sometimes will be frustrating but most times very rewarding.  Registering with this Forum is the first step to improving your experience.  Somone here will be able to help with any hang-ups and problems you may have in the future.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:05:30 AM »
I have 2 brits and a Hall.

The first brit has had significant motor issues with slowing and overcurrent - almost certainly due to over-soft brushes clogging the commutator. I would have sent that one back but it only happened after around 5 hours running and after I'd assumed it was fine and detailed it!

The second brit has been better, but suffered a bit of a wobble which took some patient correction to rectify.

Both brits have had loco-tender conductor wire fail on me within minutes (I think the first brit had one failed on delivery, but it wasn't something I was looking for until it failed). These are weak, although they supply spares.

Both locos do run well but I won't be surprised if they continue to give trouble.

The Hall has been ok so far but I've not run it for much (maybe ah hour).

My B1s are Farish as they just look so much better as they don't sit high and have the really think tyres of the Dapol.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 09:37:49 AM »
There does seem to be an element of luck attached to the running quality of Dapol steam loco on purchase, this is not entirely cofined to Dapol, as there are several poor reports around on some Farish/Bachmann steam outlines too. 
This is worth remembering. People who have had repeated bad experiences with brand or the other tend to bash them and avoid them all together in future. However enquiries with big retailers like Hattons have shown that the return rate is roughly the same for both Farish and Dapol (and is similar to 00). While we can all agree that we would like to see better QC, neither manufacturer is significantly worse than the other.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »
Posted by me 28.8.11
In a (feeble?) attempt to defuse the Dapol Bashing bit, my purchases in the last 6 months include a Farish 4F, Class 37 and 3 x TPO's, a Peco Collett and a Dapol Brit + 9F. All except the Dapols went straight back to the vendor because of problems. Now then, I have just a test oval at present with 1st radius curves so have not even oiled /tested the Dapols, but I didn't want to miss 'em like I did with the 1st issue Hymeks. I may be storing up a problem in that, by the time I have some track laid with suitable radius curves for the Brit/9F they'll probably be out of warranty so I'll be looking to you good people to solve any problems I may run into. Mind you, there have been some great posts helping with these already.

Honours even between Dapol/Farish and Peco :o

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 09:11:15 PM »
I have just finished running in my Dapol Gossington Hall and I am pleased to report a smooth runner. It was not entirely happy with with my 9" radius test track (the front bogie derailed a couple of times) but I think Dapol specify 10.5" (2nd) radius curves for their steamers anyway.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline REFaust

• N Gauge Society Number: 20356
    • My N Gauge YouTube channel
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »
Anyone know the recommended minimium radius for the Britannia...? There is no mention on the paperwork..

I ran my new Robin Hood around at the weekend and it kept derailing on 9" curves :( I may need to construct a slightly larger test oval lol

R E Faust

:A1Tornado: :Carriage:

Offline Sithlord75

• N Gauge Society Number: 13892
  • 2mm Association Number: 4430
    • Sithlord's Railway Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 12:58:35 PM »
Most steam locos these days seem to need the 2nd Radius (10.5 inch) rather than 1st.  Dunno if this includes the Brit but all of the Farish I can think of off the top of my head have this as the recommended radius - although I have read reports of some making the 9" curves ok.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »
Most steam locos these days seem to need the 2nd Radius (10.5 inch) rather than 1st.  Dunno if this includes the Brit but all of the Farish I can think of off the top of my head have this as the recommended radius - although I have read reports of some making the 9" curves ok.

My general rule (which seems to work) is not to run anything above 2-6-0 on 1st radius curves, so if I have a 4-6-0 it runs on larger radius.
I find the 4 whell bogies don't like 9" curves. Same goes for the driving wheels - if they are above 6, go for larger radius.

Offline Cazadoom

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »
Thank you all for all your feedback

I went and purchased the Britannia. It is a Superb model apart from the "unfinished" looking wheels. although I have seen your Brit that you finished Alan and it looks amazing! 

There is one really minor thing that is making me think about sending it back is that it will not run tender first over pecorino set track points the tender de-rails and the rear set of driving wheels soon follow! Anyone know of a way to stop this happening?

I think dapol need to follow farish with not having the drive shaft it makes all there locks noisy!

Cheers
Callum

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 05:14:31 PM »
There is one really minor thing that is making me think about sending it back is that it will not run tender first over pecorino set track points the tender de-rails and the rear set of driving wheels soon follow! Anyone know of a way to stop this happening?

This might be the rear stoneguards - they are situated below the rear steps - on mine they sit very low (too low), and easily catch in trackwork. I'd recommend watching closely where the derailments occur and see if this is causing it. The only obvious solution is to cut them off.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Cazadoom

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »
they seem to be clear enough!  :-\ seems to be a bit of weight in the tender will help that stay on the track. its now just a case of trying to get the loco itself to stay on the track. in my honest opinion it dosent seem to have a long enough bar between the two. it dosent look like there is enough room between the cab and the tender for it to turn enough!

cheers callum

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
The problem is that the curves on settrack points are only 9" radius. I have not tried a Brit myself but my Hall is right at the limit on 9" curves.

I think dapol need to follow farish with not having the drive shaft it makes all there locks noisy!
That can bring its own set of problems. If the valve gear locks you can get the frozen loco being pushed along by its tender.

Ideally you want the drive mechanism in the loco (as in the real thing of course). Farish's forthcoming Std5 promises a coreless motor and loco drive. I will be interested to see this as it sounds like a potential golden standard.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal