!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Remotoring Poole Class 101  (Read 1382 times)

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Remotoring Poole Class 101
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:13:27 AM »
Interest has been expressed on this on another thread, due to the armature gears on the Poole built class 101 becoming unavailable, so I have started this thread.

I must credit this to another modeller, whose name I can't remember (it turns out to be Dr Al - see note below) who kindly supplied me with the instructions as follows:

"The idea isn't that original, but I modified it to take advantage of the Bachmann motor (which I happened to have). The intermediate gearing stage 16 tooth on the armature end to 25 tooth on the worm shaft has been removed. The armature has also been removed (obviously).

The motor connects using standard Farish drive springs (Br Lines) directly to the worm shafts, i.e. just like any of the other Poole Farish diesels. The one oddity is that the springs have to run in the two inner bearings of the worm shafts, otherwise it'll be all floppy and won't work. This means the hole in the bearing has to be opened out to accept the larger diameter of shaft plus spring.

I started with everything a bit tight and opened out out to be absolutely free running. It'll run pretty comparably to any Bachfar diesel (despite being flywheel-less), and pootle along drawing an acceptable 120mA.

I got the motors as part of a job lot of spares. You can buy full flywheeled motors from BR Lines, but they would need the flywheels removed (simply no space in the DMU chasssis to have them). This is easy with a gear puller. I doubt they would really improve the running any since the rest of the chassis is not friction free. Alternatively try Bachmann directly for sourcing motors, or other motors such as Mashima LH19 are usable, though I favour the Bachmann motor as it is skew would, so will run more smoothly at low speeds. It's also an easy one to DCC as it turns out - the motor is pretty much isolated from the rest of the block and there is space under it (where the old Farish armature used to run) for a DCC chip. I've not done this as I'm not DCCed, but looks viable.

DISCLAIMER - bear in mind that once you hack off the top bar and magnet holder from the block you are committed, and it can't be put back! I had several spare blocks so wasn't so concerned by this, but if you don't then be aware it's an "all or nothing" conversion. However, if you shoehorn the motor in and also replace the potentially splittable gears in the bogies, the unit should then be bulletproof."

Here are some photos.  I can send more if anyone needs them.

Cheers   Jon  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:31:09 PM by PostModN66, Reason: Nore info available »
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline bees

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28138
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Remotoring Poole Class 101
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »
Hi
This looks interesting, i might have a go at this in due course, more photo's would be really appreciated
Thank You very much for this post though
kind regards
Steven
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »
That's my conversion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)  ;)

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 04:29:07 PM »
Aaah.......I guessed it might have been someone also on this forum!!

Thanks again for the original information Alan.   I followed your instructions to the letter and it works just fine!

All the best

Jon   :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline dodger112958

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
Just acquired a Poole 101 with a rough sounding motor so this thread may well prove to be a saviour, any more info and photos would be greatly appreciated as I have never taken the shell of a loco before, let alone see what is inside.
Regards
Ian
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal