!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: hst going down under?  (Read 929 times)

Offline 1936ace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22564
    • Awards
hst going down under?
« on: September 07, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »
hi all,

while stirring my countrylink oops sorry nsw trains trainlink driver mate on how good our falling apart xpt's are better then his xploders oops sorry again xplorer he told me that talk is that we are going to get old hst power cars to keep our fleet going.

any truth to the rumour from your side?

bart

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: hst going down under?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »
any truth to the rumour from your side?

Sounds odd - the XPT has different cooling arrangements because HST wouldn't be up to Australian climates (or indeed originally UK ones - they needed some fixing!).

There is supposed to be HST stock free once electrification to Swansea is completed but that is some years off and rather assumes the IEP sets are a) delivered on time and b) actually work.

Given the HST sets ability to work a lot of routes and the chronic overcrowding on the cross country ones I'd have hoped more HST stock would have gone to them.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline 1936ace

• N Gauge Society Number: 22564
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:45:16 PM »
im assuming they want the chassis maybe and have them retro fitted out here, again im guessing maybe they have done less km's. 

on a side note, we have just had our federal election and there was a party called Bullet Train For Australia.

bart

Offline Pete Mc

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 09:40:58 PM »
I haven't seen or heard anything about hst's going down under but I did read somewhere that East Midland Trains want to convert their MTU engined power cars back to the Paxman VP185 power units.I'm not sure why but last year whilst we were at the Model Rail Live show at Barrowhill Roundhouse,we decided to have a ride on the EMT shuttle into Chesterfield for a sit down and a warm.We kissed the train back to Barrowhill,stupidly,so we had a cup of tea,some cake and watched what came through.

A mix of MTU and Paxman VP185 engined hst's came through along with some Voyagers and other dmu's.I have to say it was heavenly to hear the whistle from the VP185 engines once more.Hopefully we'll do it again this time but it is called Barrowhill Live this year as Model Rail magazine has a new venue for its show the weekend before.

Pete
 :Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:

Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Offline MikeDunn

• N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »
We kissed the train back to Barrowhill
I know some people (for peculiar reasons that defeat me  :P) like diseasals, but this :-* is just going too far !!!  :laughabovepost:

Offline Pete Mc

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:24:36 PM »
Oops,typo,should've been missed not kissed.

A bad case of septic keyboard and that fumbs.lol

Pete
 :Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Offline BernardTPM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3490
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 10:56:27 PM »
im assuming they want the chassis maybe and have them retro fitted out here, again im guessing maybe they have done less km's. 
I would doubt that as they have been very intensively worked from new. I think they were doing something like a million miles every five years. In an article back in the mid/late '80s Modern Railways noted that on daily average speed they were faster than TGVs because they spent much less time standing still.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here