!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Minitrix 9F  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Crackerbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21694
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Minitrix 9F
« on: July 24, 2011, 05:16:59 PM »
I have two 9Fs on my layout.  One is the Evening Star and the other is numbered 92018.  Both locos are DCC chipped and both run extremely well.  If only the modern British outline manufacturers could produce the running quality of these rather dated models.  Mine still hold pride of place and are used quite regularly, they seem like they will go on for another 30 - 40 years.

Offline longbridge

• Awards
Re: Minitrix 9F
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 09:44:34 PM »
I have a Minitrix Evening Star, great runner and also the Minitrix Britannia that runs like a Swiss Watch.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Crackerbill

• N Gauge Society Number: 21694
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:24:53 PM »
I also used to have a class 42 and a class 27 (well sort of) which again ran like stink.  No problems through any point formation.  Stupid me really, I sold them some two years ago when I moved to DCC.  

Now there is DCC conversion information for the class 47 in the latest NGS journal.  As I see it the class 42 and 27 would be very similar and the actions do seem within my capabilities having cut chunks out of Farish diesels to convert.  Hindsight ???

The 9Fs I got converted as I could never part with them.  :beers:

:-[ :-[Sorry it was 2/11 journal - I'll blame my age for getting it wrong  :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 05:59:50 PM by Crackerbill, Reason: error in information »

Offline E Pinniger

• N Gauge Society Number: 23704
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »
Is the Minitrix "Evening Star" significantly rarer/more in demand than the standard black 9F version?
I've recently been given an old Minitrix "Evening Star" and am intending (eventually!) to repaint it as a standard 9F in weathered BR black, possibly also converting it to the double-chimney version. I thought it'd be worth checking first in case I ruin a collector's item! Maybe I could arrange a swap with another forum member for a black 9F body, or an Evening Star body with worn paint/transfers (mine is in near-mint condition though the chassis is less than perfect, it needed new traction tyres and some adjustments to the tender connection to get it running well again)

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 07:04:15 PM »
In the pre Dapol days the evening star was the rarer item but not sure nowadays.

I have several of the black ones including a spare body that you could have to practice on. PM sent.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:13:29 AM by Jerry Howlett, Reason: Bad spelling and grammer ! Go to the dunces corner ! »
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline moogle

• N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »
Is the Minitrix "Evening Star" significantly rarer/more in demand than the standard black 9F version?
I've recently been given an old Minitrix "Evening Star" and am intending (eventually!) to repaint it as a standard 9F in weathered BR black, possibly also converting it to the double-chimney version. I thought it'd be worth checking first in case I ruin a collector's item! Maybe I could arrange a swap with another forum member for a black 9F body, or an Evening Star body with worn paint/transfers (mine is in near-mint condition though the chassis is less than perfect, it needed new traction tyres and some adjustments to the tender connection to get it running well again)

Don't know about rarer as they sold 1000's of them but they do seem to fetch more 2nd hand than the black ones.
If its near mint bodywise I wouldn't repaint it, especially if Jerry has a spare for you to practice on.
I got a 2nd hand black one a few years back and it runs very nicely.   :)
Could never afford one when new as I was only a teenager!  :laugh:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Offline Steve.T

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23237
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 09:21:51 PM »
I have a Minitrix Evening Star and Mallard and they are practically new despite being 20 years + old as I bought them as my first locos when I intended to start my layout but due to work commitments and other things that just get in your way I have only just begun to start my layout.

I have now decided to go DCC and will probably sell many of my locos I had collected rather than convert them but in no way will I sell these.

Has anybody any suggestions who I could get to convert them?
I could do it myself but would rather get it done professionally on these two.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Offline Donkey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22825
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »
From personal experience I would recommend Digitrains, great service at a very good price. www.digitrains.co.uk/ but some members have recommended others. I am sure they will be along soon to give advice  :)

Marty

Offline Steve.T

• N Gauge Society Number: 23237
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 09:33:24 PM »
From personal experience I would recommend Digitrains, great service at a very good price. www.digitrains.co.uk/ but some members have recommended others. I am sure they will be along soon to give advice  :)

Marty

Cheers, I will certainly have a look.  :thumbsup:
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Online Railwaygun

• N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 12:56:54 AM »
I use A and H models Northampton for all my chipping - knowledgeable and excellent service

nick R
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »
Managed to drop all of the drive wheels out and can't seem to get them properly quartered. :'(
Anyone have any tips on how to get all the gears to mesh properly, an awful lot of slop from first to last gear? :confused2:
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 12:37:41 AM »
Hello, welcome aboard !  :wave:

I hate to give you bad news on your first post but the only way i'm aware of, is to do one axle at a time and make sure each is pointing up on the same side (ie crank pin hole at the top). Trial and error really, by doing it one at a time hopefully you'll spot which one is a tooth out as you go.

Good luck !
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:39:51 AM by 4x2 »
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Jfheath

• Maintaining Classic Minitrix
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 12:17:28 AM »
Managed to drop all of the drive wheels out and can't seem to get them properly quartered. :'(
Anyone have any tips on how to get all the gears to mesh properly, an awful lot of slop from first to last gear? :confused2:
Did you ever get this sorted ?  I can help / describe how to get this all back together again.

Offline keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 12:49:44 AM »
I have a Minitrix Evening Star, great runner and also the Minitrix Britannia that runs like a Swiss Watch.
I opened up my Minitrix Ivatt out of curiosity and the innards really do look like a Swiss watch! Such a comparison with the Poole Farish locos at the time, where the innards look like cut-down Triang.

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 06:54:53 AM »
Wonderful examples of German engineering at its best.  Have we really progressed in this regard?

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations