!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Hall  (Read 25080 times)

Offline barkfast

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Dapol Hall
« on: July 13, 2011, 07:05:39 AM »
I have been keenly awaiting the release of Dapols new Hall - which apparently should be in shops early August - but it would seem that Dapol are releasing it with the grey wheels similiar to the Britannia....

Picture taken from http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/33701/ND135D_Dapol_460_Hall_Class_Steam_Locomotive_number_6952

In any case is on my birthday list  ;D

Offline anselm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20354
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Hall
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »
There is an interesting review in Model Rail for August, which I supose we shouldn't quote.  One of their two samples was a poor runner which may not come as a surprise to members of this forum.  I find it amazing that Dapol don't carefully check their locos before sending them out for review!

Ian

Offline Trev Collins

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:37:13 AM »
Carfts & Hobbies have a few Halls for sale on eBay already. I have ordered one from Hatton`s (also a bubble car with speed whiskers!) who are a bit cheaper. Rails Of Sheffield don`t yet give a price I think. I read the review in Railway Modeller.

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »
There is an interesting review in Model Rail for August, which I supose we shouldn't quote.  One of their two samples was a poor runner which may not come as a surprise to members of this forum.  I find it amazing that Dapol don't carefully check their locos before sending them out for review!

Ian

I hate to say it but Dapols biggest letdown is not checking their loco's before sending them out anywhere let-alone to Model reviewers. Time and again on this forum many members have discovered 'running issues' straight out of the box with Dapol loco's.
If they keep neglecting their quality control, then their current/potential customers (us lot) will lose faith in all their products based on their model's reputation of poor performance and they will fail to sell any model with a motor inside.
I am very dubious to buy 'first batch' release's of any Dapol loco (steam/Diesel) due to faults i have come across in the past and comments made by other N Gaugers regarding their engines. This is a pity as their models look great, if only we could have Dapol bodies with modern farish mechanisms.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline Trev Collins

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 12:21:56 PM »
Dapol Kimberley Hall just arrived from Hatton's (excellent service).
It certainly looks the part. Railway Modeller gave it a mostly favourable review.
I'll be running it later and will have fingers and toes crossed after my recent Britannia experiences.
Still if it's as good as the Ixion Manors I'll be happy!

Offline Elvinley

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 07:30:30 PM »

Ian

We should quote it.

Offline anselm

• N Gauge Society Number: 20354
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 09:08:18 AM »

Ian

We should quote it.

I agree it would be nice if we could quote from magazine reviews but I believe that the content of commercial magazines is protected by copyright.  I wished to protect Tank (and myself!)  from complaints. Does anyone know for cerain about copyright issues?  :)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 09:50:31 AM »
That would be the joys of UK copyright law - which is badly broken in lots of ways particularly with  regards to what the US calls "fair use"

Much of it revolves around common sense though. If you paste the entire article somewhere then the magazine loses sales and reprinting entire articles without permission is rarely permissible, if you quote specific sentences points and reference them then the magazine probably gains sales and in general quoting is ok

The Gowers Report in 2006 concluded UK copyright law was in need of major fixes, but the government of the time and its big media cronies didn't like that so sat on it.

Strangely enough the Hargreaves report commissioned by the current incumbents says basically the same thing and various big media companies are currently busily lobbying MPs hard to get them to take out all the plans for extra rights for end users...
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »
Normally if the magazine is contacted and permission is requested to quote from an article they are happy to give that permission as long as you mention the magazine where the article came from.

John

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 12:59:56 PM »
Everything you ever wanted to know about UK patents, trade marks, registered designs and copyright can be found on the Intellectual Property Office website. http://www.ipo.gov.uk/

The US system is much more complicated and confusing. http://www.copyright.gov/ http://www.uspto.gov/patents/index.jsp

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »
Everything you ever wanted to know about UK patents, trade marks, registered designs and copyright can be found on the Intellectual Property Office website. http://www.ipo.gov.uk/

Hah!

Even they don't know the answers to most of it. The relevant area in this case is "fair dealing" (which is not the same as the far simpler, saner and more logical US "fair use")

The best the IPO can manage is

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-other/c-exception/c-exception-review/c-exception-fairdealing.htm

Which I think best translates as "we have no clue either, it depends which side of bed the judge got out of that morning". Essentially its a woolly undefined term so only a court can ever decide what is fair dealing, and common sense things like copying your own CD to an ipod is not fair dealing, its an offence !

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 06:20:28 PM »
I dunno about that. I got lost on the first word of section 107 of the 1976 Copyright Act. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use. The first word is 'Notwithstanding'.

Offline Trev Collins

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 11:59:37 PM »
Quick video of Kimberly Hall on my nowhere near finished layout.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »
Nice one,Trev. Looks like a good runner there :thumbsup:

Offline Trev Collins

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 08:35:47 AM »
 :Dapol:
Thanks. It's not quite as noisy as it seems on the vid!

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations