!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: When buying from the USA  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Geoff

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
When buying from the USA
« on: July 05, 2011, 07:11:32 AM »
When you buy loco's and rolling stock from the USA do you get charged for fetching them into the country, and what percentage is the charge?
Geoff

Offline Bbonus

• N Gauge Society Number: 20551
    • Awards
Re: When buying from the USA
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 08:17:13 AM »
Yes.  If the value is more (used to be) than 18 then UK customs take a great interest in it.  Vat and duty are charged and a customs clearance fee (used to be) 8.  The figures I have quoted could have changed.  Sometimes when factoring in these charges it is safer to buy here also you have more come back.  Obviously if you visit the USA then things could be different by buying and bringing them with you.

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:29:27 AM »
That is disgusting, I have a few mates that currently buy direct from Trainworld in the USA, on average they can get an HO gauge steam loco with "DCC and Sound" including postage to Australia for about $150au or about 100 quid UK, no extra charge on arrival here and the item arrives within a week.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:35:01 PM »
Importing model railway items from the USA to the UK.
If the cost of the item is over 18.00 then they are subject to 20% Import VAT and either an 8.00 handling fee by Royal Mail, or a 13.50 handling fee from Parcelforce if the item is sent by the EMS (i.e. International Datapost equivalent) and GLS (i.e. Euro 48 equivalent) networks.
The 18.00 Import VAT limit is being reduced to 15.00 in November 2011.

Model railway items are Zero Rated when it comes to Import Duty.
I know Zunnan disagrees that model railway items are Zero rated, so I'm including links to two actual examples of this. Note that the address in the examples is of the HMRC Appeals Office.
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/ebti/ebti_details.jsp?Lang=en&reference=GB116735571
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/ebti/ebti_details.jsp?Lang=en&reference=GB116735473

Goods nomenclature code: 95030030
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20110705&Area=US&Taric=95030030&LangDescr=en

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 04:30:27 PM »
That is disgusting.

No its merely a different taxation policy. One that helps protect EU jobs as it happens, such as model shops.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything